Social Question

rojo's avatar

What are the possible physical aftereffects from eating moldy bread (including the mold)?

Asked by rojo (23829points) November 21st, 2017

Talking about our present day processed white bread, not the ergot infected rye bread that caused the Salem witch hunt.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

17 Answers

marinelife's avatar

A bad taste in your mouth.

elbanditoroso's avatar

A significant reduction in disease.

Remember that penicillin was the outgrowth of earlier experience with mold growing on bread, that helped cure peoples’ illnesses.

kritiper's avatar

You might end up being healthier.

zenvelo's avatar

You probably should avoid eating processed white bread anyway, but not because of concerns over mold. That stuff is just high carbohydrate/low nutrition chemical loaf.

rojo's avatar

^^ usually don’t but it is what my wife bought this week in order to make stuffing with the vast majority

Tropical_Willie's avatar

A die from Toxins. Not all mold is “friendly”.

Zaku's avatar

“Is it Dangerous to Eat Bread with Mold on it?

Mold can cause illness, especially if a person is allergic to mold. Most often though, eating moldy bread will just make you feel nauseated and you may vomit from the bad taste and perhaps the smell of the moldy bread.

Most mold on bread is harmless. Some molds are poisonous though and can make you very ill. For that reason, eating moldy bread should be avoided. It isn’t enough to just cut out the moldy portions of bread because mold can grow inside the bread as well.

If you’ve eaten bread with mold on it, don’t panic. Moldy bread won’t have an effect on someone with a normal immune system. There is a slight risk of pulmonary illness in those with a compromised immune system such as AIDS. And of course, if you’re allergic to mold, you must avoid bread with mold on it.

The best way to manage bread products is to only keep amounts that can be eaten in a day or two in a cupboard. The rest can be frozen, and thawed in a closed plastic bag as you need it.”
(from this page )

JLeslie's avatar

I wouldn’t worry too much. I’m assuming it was just a little bit of mold that you didn’t notice on your piece of bread, but then later realized that what you ate had some mold.

To make you feel better think about it this way. When the mold first starts to grow it probably isn’t visible to the eye, so you probably eat some in small amounts all the time and don’t realize it. I wouldn’t purposely eat moldy bread, but if you ate a few bites don’t worry.

Pinguidchance's avatar

Survival of the black death and various plagues.

rojo's avatar

Will toasting kill any mold in and on the bread?

marinelife's avatar

@rojo It won’t kill the moldy flavor. Plus some of the mold will survive.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

@rojo it is the TOXINS the mold already produced and the toxins are sitting in the bread (not just the greenish-blue edges).

rojo's avatar

But would the heat and burning not also kill the toxins?

I know, I know. I should just go buy a new loaf.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Buy a fresh loaf of bread.

marinelife's avatar

@rojo you can’t get the heat high enough to kill the mold without charring the bead.

LostInParadise's avatar

The mold is not out to act in our best interests. It may happen by chance, as in the case of penicillin, but don’t count on it. The mold wants the bread for itself. If it makes the bread unpalatable for us or makes us ill, so much the better (for the mold). Sacrifice this loaf and buy a new one.

rojo's avatar

@marinelife You mean like Blackened Cajun Toast?

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther