General Question

2davidc8's avatar

What do they call that part of beef that's next to filet mignon?

Asked by 2davidc8 (10127points) March 17th, 2018

I believe the name has the word “tail” in it.
I remember reading about in an article once, but now I can’t find it.
I hope somebody here knows.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
JeSuisRickSpringfield's avatar

Filet mignon comes from the tenderloin, which has three parts (the butt, the center-cut, and the tail) and is shaped like a tapered tube. The butt is (unsurprisingly) the thicker end, and the tail is everything on the tapered end that is too small to turn into a full cut of beef. The rest is the center-cut, which is where filet mignon comes from. So you might have just heard the tail end referred to as the “tail,” the “filet tail,” or even the “tenderloin tail.” It’s usually cut up into small pieces for dishes that don’t require full cuts.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
zenvelo's avatar

My local meat counter sells a “filet tail” of about 5 or 6 ounces for $18.99 a lb (filet itself is $23.99/lb). I cook it just like a filet, and it tastes the same. It is my special treat when they have them.

2davidc8's avatar

@zenvelo That’s it!! Thanks.

2davidc8's avatar

Yes, @JeSuisRickSpringfield, that may have been another name for it, and yes, @stanleybmanly, it’s expensive, though not as expensive as filet mignon.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther