YARNLADY's avatar

9 Year old's question "Why do they kidnap children?"?

Asked by YARNLADY (42622points) 6 days ago

What do I tell him?

kritiper's avatar

“They do it so that the parents of that child will pay big money to get the child back.”
Simple.

Zaku's avatar

Who, the US border authorities?

Stache's avatar

You tell them there are cruel people in this world. There are many reasons why people kidnap children and none of them are nice.

You then tell the children you will do everything you can to protect them. This is also a time when they need to learn a safe word. Only people who know the safe word are allowed to take them when you aren’t there.

There are a myriad of reasons.
One of them is organ harvesting.

I agree with the money answer. That’s what I was told as a kid. Added in was that rich people were usually the targets, so it’s very unlikely anything would ever happen, but bad people can make mistakes so children should never go anywhere with someone they don’t know and never believe someone if they say mommy or grandma told them to pick them up. I was told Mommy or daddy will ALWAYS tell me when someone else is coming to pick you up.

Side note: when I was a kid my mom didn’t let me wear anything with my name on it. She felt it was a risk that if a stranger knew my name I would be more tempted to believe they knew he or my parents.

kritikaKS's avatar

Well they can kidnap anyone.

Patty_Melt's avatar

When my daughter was about seven she asked that question.
I told her they raised the kids to be sold for slaves.
True, in many cases.

josie's avatar

Because they are physically weak, and generally naive to their surroundings.

YARNLADY's avatar

He apparently saw a report about “trafficing” and doesn’t know what it means.

Gawd, what a horrible thing to have to explain, or even avoid explaining.

If he’s worried about it, maybe you can tell him done children don’t have families to protect them, but he does, he has lots of family, and do he doesn’t have to worry.

If he is just trying to understand it, I guess you can say there are bad people who take children, because they want them to work for no pay, which is against the law.

Sorry for all the typos. I’m glad my answer helped. Hard to know what’s right to say to children when they ask these types of questions. I hope your grandson hasn’t stayed stuck on the bad thoughts of what he heard.

Maybe start by asking him why he thinks they kidnap children. You’ll have a better idea of where he’s coming from.