General Question

JackAdams's avatar

Why are members of The Collective referred to as, "Flutherers," rather than "Flutherians"? Which do you prefer?

Asked by JackAdams (6536points) September 3rd, 2008

My “vote,” if one were being sought, would be for FLUTHERIANS. (Sounds more “religious”. LOL)

Calling ourselves “Flutherers,” IMHO, is like calling Charles Manson a killerer. It just doesn’t “sound” right, for some reason.

September 4, 2008, 2:24 AM EDT

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

27 Answers

augustlan's avatar

I’ve seen (and used) Flutherites, too.

JackAdams's avatar



September 4, 2008, 2:28 AM EDT

augustlan's avatar

I haven’t settled on a favorite, yet.

JackAdams's avatar

Please get back to me, when you do.

September 4, 2008, 2:32 AM EDT

AstroChuck's avatar

I don’t know about you but I’m a Lurvert.

JackAdams's avatar

Why am I not surprised?

September 4, 2008, 2:41 AM EDT

stratman37's avatar

my wife LOVES it when I say ‘flutherer’!

bluemukaki's avatar

I vote for Flutherite too.

cyndyh's avatar

I’m thinking of Groucho wiggling his cigar and eyebrows and saying, “But do you flutherer her often?” :^>

I like Flutherites or Flutherigean.

stratman37's avatar

every chance I get, and she lurves it!

cyndyh's avatar

Well done, you! :^>

JackAdams's avatar

The humor in here, is awesome…

September 4, 2008, 7:46 AM EDT

Harp's avatar

I guess it comes down to whether you think of Fluther in terms of a verb (“I Fluther”) or a noun (“I belong to the Fluther”). I tend to think of Fluther more as something I do than as something I belong to, so it feels more natural to say “I’m a Flutherer” (one who Fluthers) than “I’m a Flutherite”.

JackAdams's avatar

The word Flutherite sounds to me like a chemical or element, like bauxite or pyrite, for some reason.

September 4, 2008, 8:11 AM EDT

Sueanne_Tremendous's avatar

Flutheroridians. Feels more tropical.

JackAdams's avatar

For those residing in Miami…

September 4, 2008, 8:24 AM EDT

tedibear's avatar

I prefer flutherer to flutherite.

jlm11f's avatar

I usually say Flutherite. I also use Flutherer, but it feels kind of awkward when you say it out loud.

JackAdams's avatar

The “double er” is what bothers me. “Fluth-er-er.”

Would you refer to someone who kills people, as a “murd-er-er?”

September 4, 2008, 1:48 PM EDT

JackAdams's avatar

Wait a minute….

I think I messed up that last post…

September 4, 2008, 1:48 PM EDT

breedmitch's avatar

We are a fluther. I am a jellyfish.

JackAdams's avatar

Everyone in the GOP is a jellyfish!

No spine.

No backbone.

Goes with the flow…

September 4, 2008, 2:06 PM EDT

bluemukaki's avatar

@JackAdams: It is a mineral! I thought that’s why it was so fun to use! (Misguided nerd jokes)

JackAdams's avatar

A jellyfish is a mineral?

I gotta look that one up!

September 4, 2008, 4:54 PM EDT

McBean's avatar

I like and use “flutherite”, myself. “Flutherer” sounds like something that Scooby-Doo would say.

cyndyh's avatar

Rorry, Ricreen, rut roory rood ray “rurerer”. :^>

JackAdams's avatar

Couldn’t have said that better, myself.

September 5, 2008, 3:07 AM EDT

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther