General Question

queenzboulevard's avatar

Is there a keyboard shortcut in safari to close tabs?

Asked by queenzboulevard (2551points) October 6th, 2008

cmd+w closes the window, cmd+shift+[ switches between tabs, so is there one to close tabs?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

21 Answers

Bri_L's avatar

apple + w closes tab

apple + shift + [ switches

basically if on a pc you use CMD on a mac use APPLE

jasonjackson's avatar

(If you have more than one tab open, the keyboard shortcut is shown next to the Close Tab menu entry on the file menu.)

iwamoto's avatar

uhm, bri, on the windows thingy you use Ctrl, because Cmd is the Apple key (or the Clover)

Cmd Shift W closes the entire window

Bri_L's avatar

Sorry, I meant control

Great catch!!!!

wilhel1812's avatar

+W all the way

jasonjackson's avatar

@wilhel1812: Just FYI, that apple character displays nicely on my Mac, but not on Windows XP – there it’s a funky box of various descriptions, depending on which browser I view the page in. Still cool though. :)

iwamoto's avatar

i  that symbol

blastfamy's avatar

I hate how there is no love for that character on windows

iwamoto's avatar

well, it’s always been like that, we can read NTFS, they can’t read HFS, we can run windows, they can’t run Mac OS, etc. etc.

we should feel sorry for them if anything…

and now we wait for the first windows fanboy, what’ll it be? incompatible ? hight price ? only for graphics

jasonjackson's avatar

@iwamoto: not Windows-y enough. :)

wilhel1812's avatar

i know it won’t display on windows, but if you use windows you won’t need the shortcut key for the mac ;) I  how it only displays on mac

maccmann's avatar

@wilhel: What? One of the greatest things about the Mac has been that it always has had keyboard shortcuts for everything you can click. It’s called two-handed computing.

And I feel sorry for all of the Winders boxes out there who don’t have a cool Apple key!

wilhel1812's avatar

I guess i messed up my words lol.
What i meant is that the mac shortcut (+W) won’t be helpful for a windows user ;)
sorry for that.

maccmann's avatar

@wilhel: AH! Good!

blastfamy's avatar

what is the unicode number for that window char?

I must know…

swimmindude2496's avatar


It looks great :)

iwamoto's avatar

don’t overdo it rookie ;)

Skyrail's avatar

I don’t have a Windows box. Or that key on my keyboard.

It’s not a Windows vs. Mac, it’s the Apple hardware vs. the Non-Apple hardware. Sigh.

What is the symbol by the way? I can see this ”” I’ve no idea whether that’s the right symbol or not, or just a different interpretation on behalf of Ubuntu.

wilhel1812's avatar

Well, if you have a mac you will se an apple symbol here: 

And it’s absolutely not all about the hardware… It’s that, and the software and the profile of Apple Inc.

Skyrail's avatar

The key on the keyboard is hardware, the actual symbol displaying is a software thing, I see that.

Ah, so I would see the little Apple…apple I guess, I can’t see it sadly, all I see is three lines. :)

temporary's avatar



don’t forget to eat your taters

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther