General Question

Edward_R's avatar

Need help figuring out what skin infection I have.

Asked by Edward_R (3points) April 28th, 2009

It’s a rash on both of my legs with liquid bubbles on them not many 2 on the right and 5 on the left. The area around the bubble is red, very warm, and swollen almost the whole back side of my leg. I went to the doctor but they don’t know what it is. They said it’s a small skin infection but didn’t know what it was or what caused it. I was recently laid off so I’ve been home all the time. There are 3 other people that I live with and they all have had the same “bites” or whatever it is before I did but not as severe as mine with large liquid bubbles growing on them. My family and I think it’s bed bugs but are not sure. Please help, TY.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

knitfroggy's avatar

Did the doctor give you anything for the “skin infection”? Maybe you should find another doctor-I would.

Darwin's avatar

I would find a second opinion and also possibly obtain a sticky trap or even a light trap to try to catch any critters in the house. That way you would know if a critter might be doing it or if you have to look elsewhere for the cause.

The “bubbles” makes it sound to me more like poison oak or poison ivy, what they call contact dermatitis , possibly with a secondary bacterial infection.

In the meantime, if you really think you have bed bugs, then follow the recommendations of this article . You might also consider zippered plastic mattress covers after treatment.

OpryLeigh's avatar

My mum had something similar to what you are describing and she was diagnosed with shingles. However, I agree with knitfroggy, you should seek a second opinion from another doctor.

Aethelwine's avatar

I have shingles and it sounds a bit like that. Shingles are very itchy and painful. Having 3 other people in the house with the same problem though, I doubt that it is shingles.

DragonFace's avatar

You and your roommates are turning into ZOMBIES!!!!!!!!!!

theartfuldodger's avatar

It could also be scabies. I say this because of your description of the sores, and the fact that your house-mates also have it.

YARNLADY's avatar

My doctors and I were fighting skin infections most of last year. It was a very difficult battle, since it seems that they cannot actually diagnose whatever it is and have to try one thing after another. My primary doctor tried treating it several different ways, and finally sent me to a dermatologist, and she tried one thing after another.

Ask them to take a sample and have it analyzed. It will cost more, and your insurance might not cover it, but it could save you a lot of grief.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther