General Question

patg7590's avatar

Change tax dependency status for financial aid, medicaid, etc. where to start?

Asked by patg7590 (4608points) September 14th, 2009

I am 19 years old and recently married, My beautiful wife and I were both claimed by our respective parents on last years taxes. We need to change our dependency status so that we can find out about receiving additional financial aid and (hopefully) medicaid. I have looked around my local government website but honestly have no clue how to go about this. Hopefully we don’t have to wait until April 15th 2010 to qualify for any of this? Thanks for the input Flutherites!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

christine215's avatar

You should have a frank discussion with both of your parents. Are they currently employed?

If they’re still claiming you and you’re no longer in their homes, then they shouldn’t be. If they’re adding you to the # of exemptions for their current employer, then they may wind up owing taxes for 2009.

P/S if you can show that you’re no longer financially being supported by your parents, you shouldn’t have to wait for the next tax year attempt to file.

patg7590's avatar

hmmm perhaps I was unclear, we have been married for two weeks, when they did taxes in april of this past year, we technically were dependent on them.

wundayatta's avatar

Seems to me that the question is moot. You need do nothing. You may have to live on your own for a certain period of time in order to be eligible for financial aid. For some schools, you have to be self-sufficient for a year.

I don’t know what the Medicaid rules are. They look at all your sources of income, and if your parents aren’t giving you anything, you may be eligible. Go to the Medicaid website for your state and see what the application process is. It should also tell you the eligibility criteria.

casheroo's avatar

I’m 23 and married, so pretty young..and I know ALL about filling out these forms.

You do not need to do anything. Yes, you were both considered dependents last year (which was done in 2009 but for 2008) You need do nothing to change your dependency status, as you two are married so it voids your parents being allowed to claim you.
Do you live with either set of parents?

You will probably get nothing in Financial Aid for this school year, because they look at the taxes for 2008. And since your parents had claimed you, you have to submit that information. But, once you file taxes jointly with your wife for 2009, you will then submit that paperwork to FAFSA and the college you wish to attend.
Medicaid wise also depends on where and who you live with. You have to be broke as a joke to get Medical Assistance as an adult, especially with not having children. You can go on a waiting list for things like Adult Basic, which some states provide for the in between ages….because Medicaid is considered for children, and Medicare is for the elderly. The in between only get Medical Assistance, which has strict income requirements.
If you live with your parents, and do not pay them rent, then you have to include all their income when you apply for Medical Assistance…so I wouldn’t even bother applying if they make decent money at all (decent as in over 35k)
If you have any questions, just ask.

patg7590's avatar

Ok we live on our own, but that sucks about financial aid, because her parents aren’t helping to pay for school anymore. I will find out how much we make an get back to you.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther