Social Question

global_nomad's avatar

What is the most epic all-nighter you have pulled?

Asked by global_nomad (1906points) December 12th, 2009

It’s finals time and I’m running on three hours of sleep. When to bed at 3:00 and woke up at 6:00, studying for World Civ. Now, this isn’t very epic, but this is the least amount of sleep I’ve ever intentionally gone with. What is the most eipc all-nighter you have pulled? What is it about college that makes people do this? I’ve never waited until the last minute to study and forgone sleep until I was in college.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

22 Answers

Talimze's avatar

I don’t know if you would call it an all-nighter, because I was not staying up for any reason, like to study for a test or something. I just stayed awake for about 32 hours about a month ago, which was the longest I’ve gone without sleep. It was mostly because of my girlfriend’s birthday, actually. She never recovered from that.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

I once worked a 48-hour shift at an emergency boiler shutdown. Epic, hell. I just wanted a shower, clean clothes and a meal after that.

Gossamer's avatar

It turned into a two dayer

StupidGirl's avatar

I used crystal meth to stay awake for 5 days and nights in a row to study for exams. We had two exams each day and by wednesday noon I couldn’t tell what time of the day it was anymore and whether I had already done one exam or not, but I persisted and my scores were like double as high than before. Don’t try this at home, kids!

AnnieB's avatar

When I was young, our town was having its annual festival. A friend and I thought it would be cool if we stayed awake for the whole week….party all day, work all night…we made it through 4 days and nights (with a little help from our friends…) Friday morning, we were just going to take a nap, so we would have some energy for the weekend festivities….with the exception of waking to go to the bathroom, we both slept until it was time to go to work Sunday night…..

Berserker's avatar

I happen to go through plenty of white nights, but I don’t know if any of it is epic. It’s a regular thing for me though.

ubersiren's avatar

Ahh, the night I met my most favorite ex-boyfriend. I was working at a crummy little “department” store in my hometown, when I was 18. He came in. We started talking and he was so adorable and shy. I mentioned that I couldn’t wait to get off because I was starving. He waited for me to get off and greeted me outside with 20 McDonald’s happy meals. Silly maybe, but so sweet. We sat outside and played with the Matchbox cars that came in the happy meals for an hour. I offered to drive him home (in my parents’ minivan), but we ended up driving around talking all night. At one point we laid on a blanket on that warm summer night at my old elementary school, star gazing and building a bond that still exists to this day. We shared so much that night. Laughter, tears, and his first kiss ever. It was truly love at first sight. An amazing night. I returned my parents’ van as the sun was coming up. I got yelled at for being out all night with their car, but it was soooo worth it. Epic. At least in my mind. It kind of reminds me of Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist.

CyanoticWasp's avatar

@ubersiren Hey, put me next on the list, okay?

Blondesjon's avatar

20 page term paper on the fall of the Roman Empire.

I started it at 4:30 in the afternoon the day before it was due, worked straight through the night, and arrived at school an hour late the next morning to turn it in.

gotta b

ubersiren's avatar

@CyanoticWasp : Aw, that’s sweet, but I’m now a big pregnant married woman. You don’t want me. :)

smack's avatar

I was awake from 9 AM to 8 AM in the library just studying for my exams this semester… but then I went back to my room and fell asleep until 1 PM. So I guess it doesn’t count :( but that’s college for yah.

CMaz's avatar

Epic? lol

When I was in my early 20’s. It was pretty common to start on a Friday evening and not stop till Monday morning.

janbb's avatar

Having my oldest son. I was in labor from 8:30 a.m.; he was born by Caesarian section at 4:23 the following morning. It was all worth it.

Beta_Orionis's avatar

I actually pulled more (and more epic) all-nighters in High School than I do now. Each year we had a massive interdisciplinary project, (Think full business plans, mock scientifically based court cases, etc.) and that always caused us, in our prospective groups, to pull some crazy work nights.

In my senior year, aside from the “fun” projects, my physics class was completely worthless. The instructor was a completely pretentious asshole who arbitrarily decided not to teach my class. He was very knowledgeable in physics, but considered us unworthy of “receiving his knowledge” Anyway, I made it my personal goal to contradict all of his blanket generalizations and produce what he considered to be impossible for each project. Two of them, a roller coaster and a boat, were the best. In the first, we were to build a marble rollercoaster with only 3” x 12” strips of paper and tape. Most were really fun to watch, but pretty standard. Loops, hills, etc. My group and I worked on it for 3 days straight. It was a 9’ masterpiece with carefully calibrated jumps, pressure activated platforms, and a rotating arm that carried the marble from one track’s end across a 2’ gap to the next section. That involved neon paper strewn across all surfaces, small paper scraps inextricably mixed with carpet and furniture fibers, diagrams on every acquirable scrap of paper, discarded bits of tape stuck to chair backs and walls, and 4 seriously fanatic teens wired on way too much coffee, ito-en green tea, and Hawaiian barbecue.

The boat project was similar, but 10 times as epic. The working time frame was about the same, only this time we spent the first 5 days obsessively scouring several cities for the best material because….. the boat was constructed from cardboard.
The house became a cardboard storeroom. In our frenzy for efficiency and accuracy, traditional boxcutters were not good enough, so we whipped out a few fixed-blade knives with partially serrated edges (8” blade lendge) and cut through industrial-grade cardboard as if it were cardstock. My friend Brandon’s mom, having put up with our work habits for some time, just made sure that we didn’t cut through the carpetting or gouge her wood furniture. We had stacks and stacks of packing tape which we used to waterproof the components during the process. That was acheived methodically, with 3 layers and careful overlapping and direction switching. After our three days of work, we produced a boat that carried two passengers comfortably and was propelled by hand-cranked, paddle wheels at the right and left (which doubled as the directional system!) After two hours class competition, our wheels began to dampen, because it is hard to seal circular sections and internal corners well.

Still, while this next one is only a near all-nighter, it will always trump all other events for soon to become obvious reasons.
The most epic event involving sleep deprivation in my life is the weekend I met my husband. I met him at 5:23 on Friday, November 9th, 2007, when I joined a group of friends already in line to see Randall Munroe (author of XKCD and President of the Internet) speak on campus. The events of the night (and my life) resulted from one brave and totally uncharacteristic decision: I chose to accept his invitation to sit with him and some friends from our Student Activities board near the front. Needless to say, we got along fantastically. In the course of the evening we:
– attended the gallery opening for space artist and painter Lowry Burgess (also my [then] new friend’s mentor,)
– made an appearance at KGB‘s semi-annual game of CTFWS (which is epic in its own right) which that night featured Randal Munroe as a participant (to whom we presented the 10 pages of rules during his talk,)
– returned to his (hubby’s) apartment where all of his former roommates were supposed to be meeting for a roommate party, but left only 6 minutes after arriving because everyone had canceled!
– talked for hours about anything and everything on a hill overlooking downtown pgh
– traipsed through interesting pieces of the sleeping academic buildings
– stargazed on the Kraus Campo in 28ยบ weather
– and then realized it was 4:30 a.m.

I got home at 5:00 a.m and slept only until 8 because I was so energized. We met again at 2:30 in the afternoon, accomplished and experienced equally awesome things, and then fell asleep in one another’s arms around 4:00 a.m., beneath snowflake shadows making their way across the apartment walls.

Since then, we’ve decided that our 31-hour social experiment (including the rest of Sunday) can be thought of as 11 distinct “traditional” dates.

PHEW! What a trip down memory lane! Sorry for having been so long-winded, but I took it as an opportunity to record some good times as I’ve not done it in the past. Thanks for such a GQ!

sevenfourteen's avatar

I used to pull all nighters in the library freshman year but now there’s no way I can do it now… I’m actually considering it tonight because I have 2 finals on monday and I’d rather stay up all night than wake up early in the morning.

The most epic all-nighter was like a 3 dayer when I graduated highschool. It all started on a sunday when I had been up all day. I went to our senior banquet with my parents that night, and then a party after. I did sleep about 3 hours but I was in the backseat of a car where I slept for 20 minute intervals (no, it was nothing bad, I just passed out unintensionally the first time and was too lazy to move). When I woke up at around 8 am I had my graduation party for the family and then after went straight to graduation. My school does project grad so after we left graduation we went to an amusement park all night and then in the morning when I got home my brother decided he was going to take me shopping in Boston for the day for a graduation present (at this point it was tuesday). When I got home from Boston that night my friends called and said we were all going to hang out and drink to celebrate. So it being tuesday night and running on 3 hours of sleep after graduation I went and by 10pm I passed out rum and coke in hand… It was the first of many all-nighters, but the greatest (mostly b/c I graduated)

srmorgan's avatar

I was a junior in college in 1969, the year that the Miracle Mets won the Eastern Division of the National League and went on to beat the Atlanta Braves and then the Baltimore Orioles.

The team put general admission seats on sale beginning at 8AM in the morning. With my friends Greenberg and Levy we took the subway out to Shea Stadium. We were among the first ten people on a very long line and we were there from about six pm till the ticket windows opened the next morning.

Nobody slept. Lots of people smoking marijuana, very friendly, very collegial, this was about six weeks after Woodstock.

At one point someone found an open gate in left field and hundreds of people ran inside. Someone got a hold of the little golf cart that the relief pitchers used and was driving around the field with what must have been a dozen people hanging on.
The lights were on and it was clear as day on the field.

Then the security guys showed up. Everyone cleared out, no arrests, no hassles, very mellow,,

We shmeared (tipped or bribed) the ticket seller and got seats in the front row of the upper deck right behind home plate.

I was unable to get on line the following week when World Series tickets went on sales. I had to do an overnight shift at work, but my cousin was on line and she gave me a ticket to one game. The first time I ever went to the World Series!


filmfann's avatar

In 1991 the Oakland hills had a Firestorm, which destroyed a lot of homes, and the phone lines in the area.
That week, I worked 125 hours. Several of those were 32 hour shifts.
The paycheck made it worthwhile, though.

TexasDude's avatar

Last week, I stayed up for 48 hours straight with only a one hour nap in there somewhere while I crammed for finals and wrote two essays.

I aced my finals and got a 96 on each paper. :-D

I’d call that pretty epic. I was hallucinating and giddy around hour 39 when it was test time. It was interesting.

Silhouette's avatar

Took a trip to San Francisco and I stayed awake for 31 hours. I was so excited and I was having so much fun, I didn’t want to close my eyes. I was afraid I’d miss something. Good times.

Austinlad's avatar

My first year in college, I was flunking a math course and the semester final had arrived. A dorm-mate got me a couple of “Bennies” (I’d never heard of them) and told me they would help me stay awake all night so I could study. He wasn’t kidding! I literally could NOT close my eyelids for 10 hours straight. I read every single page of the textbook at least twice, some more… and the next morning I aced the test. Made like 90 or something.

Unfortunately, there was an English test directly afterwards—that was my best subject—and five minutes into it I fell asleep. They wouldn’t let me do a make-over, so I got a zero on that and got a C in the course I had been getting all A’s and B’s in.

I never took benzedrine again. Ever.

Nullo's avatar

Lessee… 27 hours once for travel – followed by immediate unconsciousness once we lifted off from Frankfurt. An all-night LAN party with the Boy Scouts – there were provisions for sleeping, but I, and others, didn’t. A proper all-nigher for my high school’s graduation party, followed by a seven-hour nap on my way to Chicago.

idktimmyturner's avatar

I did an all-nighter to just sit there and draw and watch youtube and cry. Why? I won’t talk about it because it’s kinda personal but it’s only epic when you didn’t plan it all

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther