General Question

Open's avatar

Where should I go and what should I do to become a Psychologist?

Asked by Open (198points) December 20th, 2009

In essence, I’m currently in college and I want to make it to graduate school. However, all the money I’m currently earning is going right back into my current college tuition, so I have no money for graduate school. I need advice on what I can do about that…

Also, I want to be a counselor. I have the passion, drive, and skills, I just need to know where to go to get the PhD. So any advice on a good graduate schools?

Honestly, I have no idea of where to even start for this whole deal. I love psychology and I’d love to do this. I just need help finding options.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

robaccus's avatar

Into the unconscious.

hearkat's avatar

The Occupational Outlook Handbook is an excellent resource for exploring potential careers and finding information to help you search deeper into each field of study. The link is specifically for their Psychologist page, but you can use the search bar on the left side to investigate other counseling options, such as Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW).

gailcalled's avatar

Are you taking the elementary and standard undergrad. psych. courses? That is certainly the way to go. Talk to the chairman of the department also.

dpworkin's avatar

You don’t need a Doctorate to become a clinician. A Masters of Social Work, certification and two years of supervised work is generally sufficient.

Spirit_of_the_Nomad's avatar

You should talk to a counselor at the school you’re currently attending, they have all kinds of information and sources to help you plan your career.

Polly_Math's avatar

I’ve been in the field for almost thirty years, though I never bothered to get my Ph.D. I direct a large mental health facility and am a licensed therapist. If you want to counsel, and if you’re not too keen on experimental or research, perhaps you should look into Psy.D. (Doctor of Psychology) programs. You can get a lot of info on the net as to what schools are best for what as well as find descriptions of the two types of degrees. Psy. D. programs have become very popular. There was an excellent psych dept with very notable teachers (I had Julian Rotter for a class) at UConn (my B.A.). Then I went on for two graduate degrees in counseling. Are you married to the idea of a Ph.D? Social Work is probably the most lucrative alternative, but I personally decided to go into Rehabilitation Counseling (as I am more in tune with its philosophy), and I am still licensed to bill insurance companies (though I ‘m presently not in practice). Speak to your advisor or a psych teacher about it. Good luck, it’s a challenging field.

lonelydragon's avatar

Well, that depends on your career goals. Do you want to work primarily with patients, or do you want to do research? If the former, then you don’t have to get a PhD; you can just get a master’s in counseling. OTOH, if you are research-oriented, you should probably get the PhD. I have heard that UPenn has a good doctoral program in psychology.

If you’d like to explore other program options, visit your school’s career center. My college career office gave interested students a thick black book with a list of graduate schools, organized by program. If you could get your hands on one, that would be a good place to start looking.

You should also talk to your academic advisor or a psychology professor that you admire, because s/he can give you more targeted, major-related career advice. Good luck!

stranger_in_a_strange_land's avatar

Without at least a Masters, you can’t call yourself a psycholosist. My late wife had a BA in psychology and was a licensed counsellor but could not use the title “Psychologist”.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther