General Question

bezdomnaya's avatar

Can I use US postage stamps to mail something from the UK?

Asked by bezdomnaya (1435points) June 23rd, 2010

I need to send a prestamped envelope to my former professor so that she can mail a reference letter for me. She resides in the UK, and the letter would need to travel from the UK back to the US. I, however, live in the US. So, my question is: can I just put US postage stamps on the envelope I send her or do I need UK postage stamps? If I need UK postage stamps, how would I go about getting them here in the US?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

15 Answers

Nullo's avatar

I don’t think so. I think that all the international mailing that I’ve done either used lots of domestic stamps or else a sort of international stamp. It’s been a long time.

WestRiverrat's avatar

I would go to the British Postal web site and ask them.

lillycoyote's avatar

Yes. Here’s a link to the USPS page with information on mailing internationally.

Jeruba's avatar

No. Your postage stamp pays the U.S. postal service for handling your letter. The British postal service is the one that wants to get paid.

There is, or used to be, such a thing as an “international reply coupon” for prepaying postage across international borders.

PandoraBoxx's avatar

I was wrong.

JLeslie's avatar

They won’t accept a fax or pdf through email?

AstroChuck's avatar

What you need to purchase is an IRC (International Reply Coupon) from your local post office and include it with the return envelope. That will cover the return postage.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@AstroChuck : You beat me to it. You’re exactly right.

Jeruba's avatar

I mentioned the IRC above.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

@Jeruba : I see that you did. Kuddos to you, too, for beating me to the punch.

zenele's avatar

Well, he is a professional.

rts486's avatar

No, just as a UK stamp won’t work in the US.

bezdomnaya's avatar

@AstroChuck Nearing on 30000… Wow!

ItsAHabit's avatar

The short answer is “no.”

Don917's avatar

The UPU establishes the conditions on the exchange of mail between countries. Each country receives revenue from the postage on out bound mail, so postage has to be paid in the country of origination. You need to send an IRC.
Countries that are net exporters of mail compensate those that are net importers. The US is still a net exporter of mail.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther