General Question

dolcevita88's avatar

In CA, what is the process to replace license plates?

Asked by dolcevita88 (57points) August 10th, 2010

I was pulled over for not having my front license plate, so I need two brand new license plates. I understand there is a form I have to fill out and send in to the DMV, but someone told me that I shouldn’t go to the DMV because it is a waste of time when you just have to send the paperwork over and all the DMV would do is pass the paperwork along. I know that new plates cost money, but if you’re just sending in the paperwork do they bill you later? Gah. This is so confusing! Has anyone been through this and know the steps?

To make matters a bit more confusing, I have to go get my smog check and send in THAT information so I can get my registration stickers.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

2 Answers

marinelife's avatar

To obtain replacement plates:
In person:

* Visit your local DMV; make an Appointment(s) for faster service.
* Present a valid California driver license or identification card.
Out-of-state or out-of-country driver license or identification card and one of the following secondary photo identifications:
o A valid passport
o Military identification card
o Identification card issued by a state or United States government agency
o Student identification card issued by a college or university
o Identification card issued by a California-based employer
* Surrender the remaining plate(s)
* If your current address is different from the address on DMV’s records, you must also provide:
o Proof of ownership (a copy of your title or registration card)
o Police report, if your plate(s) was stolen
o A vehicle verification completed by the California Highway Patrol, if replacement plates were issued within the last 90 days
* Complete an application for replacement plates. Refer to the chart below to determine the appropriate form.
* Pay the required duplicate or substitute fee:
o Regular series fee
The way of doing it by mail is also outlined at the California DMV site.

boffin's avatar

Wow ..
I have had two vehicles in Calif. both without front plate(s).
Never a problem.
Guess maybe I have been lucky.
Still driving one of ‘em..

I’ll post when I get nabbed..

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther