General Question

evander's avatar

Can you receive SSI benefits if you travel abroad for extended periods of time?

Asked by evander (460points) September 15th, 2010

Regarding a US citizen over 65 years old, receiving SSI benefits as only source of income. I’m finding conflicting information online and in a printed resource. I know you must report if you travel out of the country for more than 30 days, but will your benefits be cancelled?Thanks.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

Tuesdays_Child's avatar

Supplemantal Security Insurance(SSI) is means based so if you have the funds to travel internationally chances are you make too much for SSI. Social Security Disability Insurance(SSDI), on the other hand, is paid according to what you have paid in based on income and determined by whether you have been found unable to have gainful employment. SSDI can be collected while traveling, unless I am mistaken, but I don’t think I am. Maybe you have the two confused?

evander's avatar

This person is traveling to Mexico via bus to be with a sick family member. Cost of living is cheaper. Not traveling for leisure. This is means- based ssi. Thanks.

Midknight's avatar

If it is SSI any time over 30 days out of the USA your benefits will be denied I assure you. If you do receive any payment you will be billed for it later.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther