MrsDufresne's avatar

Who was the person that coined the phrase "You're only as sick as your secrets."?

Asked by MrsDufresne (3547points) October 5th, 2010

I would like to know who first uttered this phrase.

MissA's avatar

“Brenda Shaughnessy mines the dictionary in order to re-invent it. This kind of surprise functions like a template placed over our expectations, producing poems rife with inversions, puns, and game-playing. Here are a few stanzas from her poem “Your One Good Dress”:

. . . And the red dress (think about it, redress) is all neckhole. The brown is a big wet beard with, of course, a backslit. You’re only as sick as your secrets.”

MrsDufresne's avatar

@MissA I just read reviews on her book “Interior With Sudden Joy”. I can’t wait to read it.
Thank you!

lillycoyote's avatar

I think it’s an old AA slogan, but who said it first may be lost in the mists of time. Hopefully someone can get you closer. It might be from one of their books.

MissA's avatar

Don’t know, Lilly. I kept coming back to Shaughnessy. Maybe she’ll have a footnote!!

lillycoyote's avatar

@MissA I’m pretty sure it’s a standard AA slogan and if you google “you’re only as sick as your secrets” with the quotes, you’re going to get a whole lot of hits regarding AA, 12 Step Programs and recovery programs. But I have yet to find any indication of who actually said it first, anyone willing to attribute the quote to a particular person or a particular source. But I could certainly be wrong, as I often am, particularly because I have not been able to answer the actual question, which is “Who coined the phrase…” And I am not familiar with Brenda Shaughnessy. Who is she and when did she first used the term? And is she or has she ever been a member of the Communist Party?

Just joking on the last one, of course, I was starting to get a little bit of an interrogational tone there, I think. :-)

rooeytoo's avatar

First time I heard it was at an AA or an ACOA meeting, I forget which. And it is so true. But I don’t know what its origin is???

gravity's avatar

It has been said in AA for many years.

pathfinder's avatar

I would like to have one of these.modern language.some hum y hum stuff

MissA's avatar

Lilly, I don’t know…if I find something, you’ll know it. You are most likely right. I like first hand knowledge that I confirm with the googlee-ites!