General Question

MissRosie81's avatar

Can I practice law in Canada with an LLB from Scotland?

Asked by MissRosie81 (251points) January 9th, 2012

I am looking at graduate law schools and I can’t seem to get a straight answer on this issue. If I choose study law in Scotland (there they have the LLB, LLM degrees rather than the JD) could I come back to Canada to practice? Or would I need an LLM first?

Is an LLB useful without an LLM?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

Stinley's avatar

I would think not. You can’t even practice law in England with a law degree from Scotland.

Although there is possibly some conversion courses that you could do afterwards.

Not sure about LLB and LLM. My dad is a scottish solicitor and his degree is LLB but he got it about 40 years ago, things have probably change since then.

tranquilsea's avatar

I would think that you would have to pass the bar in what ever province you choose to land in. Our laws, although very similar to the UK’s, are not the same as we have a great portion of French law built in due to our compromising nature. Plus our legal system has evolved independent, for the most part, from the English system.

trailsillustrated's avatar

You have to go to law school (abbreviated) in California, then sit the board.

elbanditoroso's avatar

@trailsillustrated – Canada is an independent country, it is not part of California.

trailsillustrated's avatar

@elbanditoroso oops misread my apologies

Dr_Lawrence's avatar

You will at a minimum, have to pass the Canadian Bar exams. Some in depth study of Canadian Law would first be necessary.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther