General Question

RocketSquid's avatar

Can I put an attachable forgrip on my pistol?

Asked by RocketSquid (3465points) June 25th, 2012

I own a Kel-Tec PLR-22 and finally found the forend with the underrail, so I’m hoping to tacti-cool it up now that I have rails available.

One of the first things I wanted to get is a detachable foregrip because the gun is pretty awkward to hold. It’s too forward-heavy to aim with one hand, and I don’t like holding the magazine to steady it. However, I’m hearing two different sides on whether or not this is legal.

One camp says that, as defined by the ATF a pistol “is designed to be fired by one hand” and that adding a foregrip turns it into an AOW that’s illegal without the 200 dollar tax stamp from the ATF.
However, the other camp says that only applies to permanent modifications and that since a detachable grip isn’t permanent, it doesn’t count under that rule.

Which camp is right? Can I get one, or should I just sigh and use the extra space for a laser sight instead?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

9 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

The gun / pistol becomes an AOW when you have the foregrip and needs the transfer stamp of $200, as I understand the law. No foregrip means it is legal, the second you mount a extra or foregrip you got an AOW. You could be arrested, just get a good lawyer.

WestRiverrat's avatar

I think you need the stamp to make that modification. If their is confusion in the law, it is left up to the arresting officer or the local prosecutor.

There are enough pricks in LE and state’s attorney’s offices that you will need a good lawyer whether it actually ends up being legal or not. Go with the laser sight or mount a good flashlight.

jerv's avatar

From what I gather, the ATF considers them AOW and prosecutes accordingly, but has yet to actually win a court case.

26 USC 5845, Section E reads:”

“The term “any other weapon” means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition. ”

Technically, it’s legal without a stamp, but that won’t stop you from getting arrested.

woodcutter's avatar

It’s the same deal with the draco ak pistols. You can’t do it. Or shouldn’t do it.

woodcutter's avatar

You should put a single point sling on the backstrap and pull against it at arms length to get a sturdier weld. It’s called the “Israeli sling method” Paying all that stamp fee is money you never get back if you ever decide to sell a weapon you modify, even worse if it is a permanent mod. You are sort of stuck with it.
Most cops are so totally ignorant on gun regulations they will err on the side of caution just because they see a weapon that looks creepy. It can all go down hill from there.

jerv's avatar

@woodcutter Can go downhill? I think will is more appropriate there.

woodcutter's avatar

@jerv Indeed. Depending on the state and other circumstances I would rather have an Oklahoma cop peer at my weapons than one from Connecticut.

jerv's avatar

@woodcutter… and avoid Massachusetts altogether!

woodcutter's avatar

that goes without saying

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther