General Question

ETpro's avatar

How can I mount this scroll (see details) on my wall?

Asked by ETpro (34428points) January 9th, 2013

We just got a rolled up document that is 7’ 9” (2.36 meters) long by 2’ 8½” (0.8255 meters) high. It’s a timeline of biblical history, showing when each of the epochs chronicled in the Bible happened and what was going on with the biblical characters and elsewhere in the world at that given time.

I’d love to put it up on a wall, but I’m not sure how to do that. It’s made of a heavy paper with a high sheen coating, and is rolled up in scroll format but does not have sticks on its ends.

Is there some form of scroll mount that I could purchase that would let us mount it with the rollers about 3 feet or 1 meter apart, and let us then wind the scroll to view a particular portion of the timeline.

Covering a whole wall with it in a flat, rigid frame seems impractical to me. Such a frame with a glass face and backing to keep the paper flat, would be expensive and heavy. The walls here are thin wallboard, so mounting heavy items on them is tricky.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

10 Answers

YARNLADY's avatar

The snap type poster holder would work best. They come in aluminum or even plastic.

Seek's avatar

Velcro! It’s not just for old man shoes anymore.

Seek's avatar

Also, is there a link to the poster somewhere? I’d love to see it. ^_^

ETpro's avatar

@YARNLADY Humm, I wonder if they make them in widths up to 8 feet? The scroll is in extreme landscape format, like a panoramic view, not in portrait mode like the image in the link. Amazon doesn’t seem to have anything over 4 feet wide. But I might be able to MacGyver one from junkyard parts. That would appeal to my wife’s frugality and her creativity.

@Seek_Kolinahr That could also be made to work. As to a picture of it, I Googled the publisher’s info and found this.

Seek's avatar

I was looking for the winding thing like you mentioned in the question. I’m pretty sure there’s a name for what it is, but I can’t think of it, and “scroll winder thing” is coming up nothing.

augustlan's avatar

I bet you could make something that would do the job. I’m thinking skinny dowels glued to the ends, maybe topped with finials, held in place on the wall by largish eye hooks at the top and bottom of each dowel. Something like this Maybe paint all the component pieces in one color, so they look nicer.

ragingloli's avatar

Hammer and nails, duck tape, glue.

ETpro's avatar

@Seek_Kolinahr Same results here, trying numerous possible search terms.

@augustlan That’s an awesome idea. I can actually MacGyver that together. Thanks.

@ragingloli I really want a solution that leaves minimal harm on the walls and on the back of the artwork.

ragingloli's avatar

What artwork?

ETpro's avatar

@ragingloli This artwork. Yeah, it’s a print. But it’s a beautiful, informative print I want to keep untarnished.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther