Sunshinegirl11's avatar

How do you learn another language?

Asked by Sunshinegirl11 (698points) 3 weeks ago from iPhone

I have a basic foundation on Spanish, but I feel as if I’m getting no where.

I unfortunately can’t go live in a Spanish speaking country, which would be the ideal way of learning. Rosetta Stone is also out of my budget.

As of right now, I have an app called duolingo, which is mostly just teaching me individual words. I bought a Spanish tenses book as well.

I’m having trouble practicing daily, which I think is part of my problem. I think maybe I just need more discipline?

Any suggestions?

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Watch Spanish Sesame Street and other YouTube and TV channels.

Catnip5's avatar

It depends on how you want to learn Spanish. Have you taken a course or seek a textbook instruction about it before?

If so, you could try a combination of that and watch Spanish-based media on that with subtitles. Even turn to some children’s educational programs in Spanish like @RedDeerGuy1 suggested. Practice is always the key too.

Love_my_doggie's avatar

There are several Spanish-only TV channels. You could tune-in, regularly and for long periods of time, to expose yourself to the language.

This approach isn’t as good as true immersion; you don’t get the advantage of speaking and interacting. But, you could develop a strong ear for Spanish while expanding your vocabulary.

MoeCugar's avatar

Get a spanish speaking friend. You’ll learn before u know it . You’ll be singing despacito in no time ;)

LostInParadise's avatar

Check to see if there are any Spanish speaking meetup.com groups where you live. If not, you can try creating one.

Aster's avatar

I bought a long play record to teach me and I have 2 record players. Now I have to find that darn record. lol