RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Did Socrates have a (NSFW) relationship with his student Plato?

Asked by RedDeerGuy1 (10122points) 1 month ago

Seeing it was common at the time. From masters and students.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

This is completely unknown and unknowable. Socrates had scores of students under him.

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

@Hawaii_Jake Did any ancient teachers have a (NSFW) relationship that is proved? hmm Socrates had scores of students under him .. hehe I asked my philosophy professor in 1999 and he never thought of it before. He doesn’t know.

I always thought it was a Platonic relationship.

Love_my_doggie's avatar

@Hawaii_Jake Socrates had scores of students under him.

(“Beavis and Butthead” voice) Huh huh, huh huh…“under him.”

Don’t get annoyed with me. I just had a single glass of white wine, which is about my limit.

LostInParadise's avatar

Not likely. Plato wrote about Socrates’ relationships with younger men Plato says that Socrates was attracted but refrained from any physical contact. Part of the idea of the philosopher king was that one of the reasons they would make superior rulers was that they went beyond the purely physical realm.

CWOTUS's avatar

It wouldn’t surprise me completely, as the practice has been pretty well known for centuries. The scholarly excerpt from @LostInParadise seems to say otherwise in this particular case, however, until (unless) some better and conflicting scholarship is cited.

But as to the commonality and tacit acceptance of the practice (even though technically outlawed), read this about bacha bazi in Afghanistan and elsewhere in Central Asia.

RocketGuy's avatar

I heard they believed that real love could only be between men.

Pinguidchance's avatar

Perhaps the final words on this subject should be:

“Crito, we owe a rooster to Asclepius. Please, don’t forget to pay the debt.”