General Question

elbanditoroso's avatar

Language savvy people: Do other languages have a word for 'klutz'? What is it?

Asked by elbanditoroso (28020points) June 8th, 2019

as asked

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

JLeslie's avatar

In English I guess it is clumsy, but is that the same part of speech? Or, I guess the word klutz is English now? I think of it as a Yiddish word. A person can be a klutz, but their behavior is klutzy I guess, like clumsy?

I think the German is Klotz.

I don’t think there is a Spanish equivalent? I speak Spanish pretty well, but I could be wrong. Torpe would be like clumsy, but you wouldn’t call someone a torpe.

Yiddish has some really great words, and it sounds funny too.

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Butter fingers is one.

ragingloli's avatar

The German word is Tollpatsch.

JLeslie's avatar

^^I like it.

raum's avatar

@ragingloli I thought it was linkisch? Or is that more like left-footed?

What does tollspatsch translate into literally?

mrainer's avatar

Is there significant difference between a klutz and a schlemiel? The latter I think is less prevalent in everyday parlance, but they both signify an awkward mode of doing things I suppose. Any thoughts, anybody?

longgone's avatar

@raum Yes, “linkisch” is an adjective like “clumsy”. “Tollpatsch” literally means “klutz”. Apparently it comes from the Hungarian “talpas”, meaning a broad-footed person. It was used to refer to soldiers who, instead of actual shoes, wore constructions of just soles and string.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther