flo's avatar

Why would different websites have different list of time zones?

Asked by flo (12395points) 1 week ago

How can one be missing Eastern another one Atlantic if referring to N. America etc. What are the most reliable ones?

Zaku's avatar

Are Eastern and Atlantic not two names for the same time zone?

Oh, I see, they’re not.

I think I just illustrated how someone could get it wrong. Pacific Time means the US West Coast states. Atlantic Time some people may think is the same as Eastern Time. (Some US states are apparently considering switching to Atlantic Time… that ought to confuse even more people.)

Yellowdog's avatar

The Atlantic provinces of Canada, and the eastern half of the Caribbean (at the Haiti / Dominican Republic divide) are on Atlantic time. Don’t know how that could possibly be confused with Eastern, considering that the Atlantic time zone is well outside the range of the continental United States, Part of Maine might extend into the general area, but not enough to confuse with whole areas that are better identified with the Atlantic timezone

Someone on whatever that website was, was just not very knowledgeable when they gave that information.

flo's avatar

Confusing is a good word even at the best of times for me.
By the way what is the source of the 1st result in (Google search time zones USA)

Eastern Daylight Time
Time zone in Washington, DC, USA (GMT-4)
Saturday, September 7, 2019, 3:17 p.m.
2:17 p.m.
Central Daylight Time
Chicago (GMT-5)
1:17 p.m.
Mountain Daylight Time
Denver (GMT-6)
12:17 p.m.
Mountain Standard Time
Phoenix (GMT-7)
12:17 p.m.
Pacific Daylight Time
Los Angeles (GMT-7)
11:17 a.m.
Alaska Daylight Time
Anchorage (GMT-8)
9:17 a.m.
Hawaii-Aleutian Standard Time
Honolulu (GMT-10)

Who do you write to?

flo's avatar

By the way I can see how East coast states and provinces can be mistaken as in Eastern time zone since the Atlantic is on the east. I only happen to know Eastern and Atlantic are different because I just happened to have seen the whole thing on my intro to it, on a map.

Yellowdog's avatar

Nowhere in the continental united states is the Atlantic time zone.

So that’s why its not included in the USA time zones. Only Eastern.

As I said above, it is possible that some of the state of Maine overlaps the range of the Atlantic time zone, but Maine is all officially Eastern Standard Time.

You won’t find anyone on Atlantic time in the U.S.A. Only the Atlantic provinces of Canada (Labrador, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island)—and the outer half of the Carribean.

flo's avatar

That’s if you happen to know all that.
It’s something that you would know only if you happen to know.

What about Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands?

Yellowdog's avatar

They are Atlantic, also. The part of the Caribbean I was mentioning, and the only U.S. territories officially within the Atlantic zone.

But any website where it is relevant to list a time zone ought to get it right,

flo's avatar

Does anyone know what the source of the first Google search (which I posted above and which doesn’t have Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands) is by the way?