General Question

kneesox's avatar

How can I apply a cream to my back where I can't reach?

Asked by kneesox (2249points) 1 month ago

My back itches. I bought the cream that the dermatologist recommended, but I can’t reach some areas where I want to apply it. Do you have any solutions for me?

Please don’t tell me to ask someone else to do it. If it were that simple, I wouldn’t be posting this.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

19 Answers

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

I have found that I can reach more of my back with the back of my hand. Can you put some cream on the back of your fingers and try? Another idea is to buy a back scratcher that has a flat side and use it to apply the cream.

janbb's avatar

I had this problem when my marriage ended. I bought a spongey thing on a stick that works great! As @chyna says below, you squeeze the lotion onto it and then rub it on your back. You rinse out the sponge/foam part after.

I’ll see if I can find a link to post.

This is the kind of thing:

chyna's avatar

I have a devise for that. It’s made just like the long handled back scrubber you would use in the shower except the scrubber part is made of a flat rubber pad type of material. I squirt my lotion on the pad and rub it in on my back. Check Bed, Bath and Beyond or Amazon. I can send a link after I get home if you can’t find it.

janbb's avatar

@chyna Check out mine. I think we’re talking about the same kind of thing.

smudges's avatar

Cool answers!! I have had the same question off and on throughout my adult life!

rebbel's avatar

Put a spread out garbage bag on your bed, apply enough cream on said bag, lay on it, and wiggle.

chyna's avatar

@janbb Link yours please.
@rebbel My mind went somewhere else with your description. :-)

canidmajor's avatar

I use a wooden spoon. Lotion on the back of the spoon bowl, it reaches well and doesn’t scratch. No need for a fancy thing.

chyna's avatar

@janbb That is exactly what I have.

kneesox's avatar

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I’ll try the wooden spoon first. Wish I’d thought of that. If I’m too clumsy for it, then I’ll go for the sponge on a stick. I wouldn’t have had any idea what to search for. I did try one of those little spongey “paintbrushes” from the hardware store, but it was too short.

janbb's avatar

I searched under “lotion spreader for back” I believe and several came right up. It’s not expensive and CVS has a model too.

kritiper's avatar

Get a stick that’s long enough to reach, tie on a bit of rag, apply the cream to the rag, and extend the stick to that part of your back that you have difficulty reaching.

kneesox's avatar

@janbb, @chyna, @SnipSnip, does the pad hold up or does it have to be replaced often?

janbb's avatar

@kneesox I’ve never had to replace it. I rinse it out after using it and let it dry before putting it away.

chyna's avatar

I’ve had mine for at least 11 years and have never had to replace it.

Smashley's avatar

I guess you could smear it on the wall and rub your back up and down on it like pooh bear.

SnipSnip's avatar

@kneesox I’ve been using mine for years. After I use it I hold the pad end in the sink and wash it with soap and water.

kneesox's avatar

@janbb, @chyna, @SnipSnip, the item you posted has a spongy pad, right? Not just a textured solid vinyl? I bought one but the pad is textured vinyl and just rinses off—nothing to squeeze. Seems like the lotion would go on better with a sponge. I don’t want to make the same mistake twice.

Some of the items I looked at came with spare pads, and that was a warning to me that they do fall apart. So—I bought the wrong thing anyway.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther