SQUEEKY2's avatar

If an indictment was to ever happen for one of Trump's many crimes, would he ever face jail time?

Asked by SQUEEKY2 (22111points) 4 days ago

I ask this because he has secret service protection for the rest of his days, what would happen to them if he was to face hard time?
My guess would be, he would be under house arrest in Mar a lago with the secret service being his jailers, but that is only a guess.

He deserves to be in the Tombs, but he’ll end up, at worst, at ClubFed.

Georgia wants to get their “pound of flesh” and I think they will put him behind bars.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

That was such an obvious crime @Tropical_Willie but will he really ever see a jail cell?

Zaku's avatar

He should. I’d say the Secret Service detail could be dispensed with once he’s being guarded in prison. Or, perhaps they can toss in some of the agents assigned with him who seemed to end up getting corrupted. As fellow prisoners.

Zaku's avatar

Oh, and by the way, Richard Nixon declined Secret Service protection after he resigned from office.

#WaysNixonWasWayBetterThanTrump

Zaku's avatar

So, reading a couple of articles on the subject, the consensus in them was that Trump will probably end up in a carefully chosen prison, possibly alone in a small building, probably with one bored unhappy Secret Service guard assigned, not in the cell/hut with Trump, who gets to catch up on his reading with almost nothing to do. The judge in each case convicting Trump would get to decide where each sentence would be served, in consultation with the corresponding department of corrections in each state he’s convicted in, and/or a Federal DoC.

NoMore's avatar

I doubt it. You get all the justice you can afford. If he was some hapless clown who got busted for pot, he’d be breaking rocks for 25 years.

seawulf575's avatar

There have been a whole lot of “obvious crimes” by Trump that turned out to be nothing. Remember when he colluded with Russia? I wouldn’t put it past the left to try putting him in jail for some made up charge, but really, what’s the point? I’m a firm believer that there should be one set of laws that govern ALL people, not one set for “us” and one for “them”. But that boat sailed a long time ago. Crimes have been committed by many, many famous people that went unpunished. Some even uninvestigated. And those committed by politicians are the worst. But there have been so many made up charges against Trump that at this point my initial reaction to ANY story about some crime he supposedly committed is to doubt it up front until all the facts come out.

NoMore's avatar

And all he did was encourage an insurrection and steal hundreds of secret documents. Petty misdemeanor. Can’t compare that to a heinous crime against humanity like having a joint in your pocket. Come now @SQUEEKY2

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Or asking a Georgia politician to find votes that would throw the election in his favour oh no crime there.

Tangerine Turd didn’t know he was being recorded

Dumb shit ! ! !

smudges's avatar

@seawulf575 But there have been so many made up charges against Trump that at this point my initial reaction…

So would you be apt to call them…umm…“trumped up charges”?

bad, I know…couldn’t resist

I think if he’s in jail the Secret Service currently protecting him get assigned to someone else.

I’ve said all along I really doubt he is going to go to jail, but I’ve been wrong before. I’m not feeling like he will even be convicted of anything. We’ll see.

LadyMarissa's avatar

Just because 45 says the charges aren’t true, it doesn’t mean that they aren’t true. The man lied over 50K times while in office. He also swore he paid his taxes, but that was the biggest HOAX of all!!! He paid MORE taxes to CHINA than he did to the US. IF you look closely, China & Russia are in bed together, so I wouldn’t discount the so called Russia hoax too fast!!!

LadyMarissa's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 I’ve lost ALL hope of seeing him go to jail!!! IF he ever did, that wus would NEED the Secret Service to protect his sorry ass!!! Anyway, they wouldn’t be able to put him in a regular Federal prison as there are way too many Proud Boys & Oath Keepers there hoping he’ll show up before they GET OUT!!! I’d buy a ticket to watch that show!!! I wonder if NBC would air it???

smudges's avatar

I’m not feeling like he will even be convicted of anything.

@JLeslie Sadly, I fear the same thing and it makes me sick. Like the morning I woke up and found out he’d been elected and I cried. I was so freakin’ embarrassed for the US.

Entropy's avatar

I think your guess about house arrest is a good one. There would definitely be complications because of his being a former President. I also think that in order to really pin him down on that, you would need something where the evidence was really incontrovertible.

I’ve told friends to my left and right that there’s a difference between what you “know” and what you can “prove”. Hillary Clinton has committed a litany of crimes. We “know” that. But proving it has proven difficult as many of her associates have been willing to do jail time rather than flip on her.

Likewise, we “know” Trump has done alot of shady shit, before, during, and after his time in the White House. But proving it has been harder. And because he’s now a former President, you don’t want to send him to “jail” (whatever that ends up entailing) without a high bar on quality of evidence AND seriousness of the crime. Otherwise you risk setting a precedent that the next Republican in office should chase their predecessor for minor crimes and convictions.

Every time Democrats do something like end a judicial fillibuster on lower court judges or change a rule, someone warns them “You know, the Republicans will do the same back to you” and then they act surprised and outraged when the Republicans do the same back to them. Example: Merrick Garland. Everyone acted liked the Republicans hadn’t heard Democrats openly saying more than a year before Bush The Lesser’s term ended that if there were a SCOTUS opening, the Democrats would refused to confirm in order to let Bush’s successor pick the justice. No opening came up, but guess what—- Republicans heard them. So at the end of Obama’s term, when he wanted to nominate Garland Democrats pretended to be outraged and shocked that someone would EVER do such a thing!

So if you’re a Democrat prosecutor thinking you’re going to make your career convicting Trump…just remember, Biden was so well known for corruption that his own friends called him the Senator from MBNA. You think DeSantis won’t go after your guy? You better make sure you’ve got the goods as they say. Something special and incontrovertible. Otherwise you’re just escalating the tit for tat.

flutherother's avatar

If Trump had any honour he would not run for office while facing criminal charges but being Trump he may run in the hope of dodging criminal charges by politicising them.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

I like the no Russia collusion, nope none at all nothing to see move on regardless of 15 or so indictments people pleading guilty,nope nothing here.
Or Jan 6, just because the words we will march peacefully and patriotically to the capital was used at the very beginning of his speech then things like we can not show weakness ,we must fight like hell,or Rudy stating this will be trial by combat, nope no inciting a riot here, move on.
And asking a Georgia politician to find him votes to throw the election in his favour no crime here move on.
Or lying to the Government about having classified documents, then stating uh the FBI planted them yeah thats it,uh no wait I declassified them with my mind yeah that’s it,oh and they are mine regardless if the Government wants them back no crime here move on it’s all fake .
Not to mention the tax laws the trump organization broke in New York all fake move on.
All fake ,and if you don’t believe that then you’re nothing but a hater yeah thats it, now lets get back to the hunter lap top that is where the real crime is.

seawulf575's avatar

As I said, I’m pretty leery of any claims of his “crimes”. If he actually did all the things he is purported to have done, there would be solid evidence, not made up or doctored evidence. Pick a topic and it just isn’t there. J6? If he actually incited the violence, then why did they have to cut his speech short when they presented it to the J6 committee? He said they were going to protest peacefully and patriotically, yet the speech was cut before he got to that point. It was doctored. The crime that he incited an insurrection? Kinda hard to do when no one was really actually charged with insurrection. The first impeachment? The left claimed a whistleblower said he urged Zelenskyy 8 times to investigate Biden and threatened to withhold aid. He released the transcript and it showed without any doubt that was all a lie. Yet they kept repeating it and based their impeachment on it. They didn’t even cite any actual crimes. The list goes on and on. Since he hit the political scene, the left has been making shit up about him and claiming it is all true. The only crimes he has actually been committed for sure are the ones the left brings up that have to avoid facts to be anything at all.

Remember Trump tells the truth . . . he lied 50,000 while in White House

Loves to grab “pussy” from any female walking by . . ..

Threatened Georgia Secretary of State; he and his family received death threats from the Neo-nazis followers of the Tangerine Turd !

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Uh @seawulf575 Now I watched about only ¾ of his Jan 6th speech and at first I heard nothing of peaceful and patriotically I had to start it right at the beginning and it was there less than a minute from the start, and I didn’t hear it again,all I heard after that was we can’t show weakness we have to fight like hell, then of course Rudy saying it will be trial by combat.
Sure sounded to me like he was inciting that crowd.
I know he is your hero but damn sounds like he is guilty .
Another why not just give back the documents, we would have heard nothing if he had just done that,sure sounds like he is guilty.
The Georgia politician recorded that call when he wanted more votes guess fake as well?

flutherother's avatar

@seawulf575 What there is no evidence for are Trump’s claims that the election was rigged and he actually won.

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 Here is a text of the entire speech that day. Read it for yourself, but do so with the actual honest eyes I know you can have. Then tell me where he urged violence. You have the text, you should be able to give a direct quote by page that says he was urging violence. Yes, you can pull a word or two out that can be made to sound like it, but look at the context. Look at what he is actually saying to the crowd. It isn’t there. But pulling those one or two words out is EXACTLY what the J6 committee did and they would not allow anyone to show the full story. That isn’t justice, it isn’t fairness, its what they do in kangaroo courts in 3rd world nations.

seawulf575's avatar

@flutherother Is claiming he won the election a crime?

@seawulf575 When Trump says he won the election, since it is an outright lie, it should be a crime. It’s propaganda that helps to organize treason and violence. Whether it reaches the bar of being illegal it doesn’t change how incredibly destructive he has been to the country. It’s not just him, there are other players too.

It’s not just one off-handed sentence caught on tape. He willfully planned and executed convincing part of the public the election was fraudulent. Then he sat back and watched the games in the “coliseum” what we call our Capitol building.

kritiper's avatar

Yes but it would entail a low security retirement community type facility instead of your normal and well shown high walled high security prison.

jca2's avatar

I have no doubt that he is guilty, but between politics, the fact that he has never been arrested before (I am guessing about that), and the fact that he is rich, he won’t ever see the inside of a jail cell.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

@seawulf575 I am not going to read 15 pages of a speech that made me want to barf when I listened to it the first time,it doesn’t matter if I cherry picked a few choice phrases and as you point out took them out of context like the crazy Trump hater you see me for.
The mob took them out of context that day as well,because they heard words like “we can’t show weakness, and we have to fight like hell” Or Rudy’s little “this will be trial by combat”
Because if he truly wanted them to “protest peacefully” Trump would have called the Mob down when they breached the Capital fence , NOT 3 hours later after they were inside the Capital building where damage was done and people were killed.
Regardless of how innocent you see the Don Father’s speech that day .

seawulf575's avatar

@JLeslie That is idiotic. Saying he won does not have a straight line to insurrection. Or are you suggesting that when Hillary said she won and that Trump cheated she was urging an insurrection? It was an outright lie so she should be guilty of a crime? How about creating a whole story to try discrediting the newly elected president? Should that be a crime? Stop with the “Trump did it so it must be a crime” garbage. Nothing he said urged any violence. As for planning some action, there is zero evidence of that because it didn’t happen. If you believe it did, show the evidence. It is leftist propaganda…another in a long line of fake claims about him.

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 You make a claim that Trump incited violence with his speech. When I produce the text of the speech you suddenly can’t be bothered by facts. That pretty much describes the left’s attitude towards Trump from the start. They claimed he colluded with Russia to cheat and win the election in 2016. Yet they based that on research done by Hillary and the Dems using Russian agents as sources. They ignore that fact and treat everything like it is gospel. Yet the massive investigation into it that was done showed it was not true. But the left ignores those facts as well to continue claiming it happened. They try saying it had to be true because there were indictments and some Trump aides were found guilty. But they ignore the facts there too. Those indictments had really nothing to do with any made up Russia/Trump collusion. They were mainly for things that happened before those people got involved with Trump or even claims they lied to the FBI. The left ignores the facts that if any of those indictments had anything to do with collusion the result of the Mueller investigation would not have been to show that no Americans were knowingly involved. How long do you have to ignore facts before you start tripping over the lies?

jca2's avatar

Trump January 6th transcript. This is some crazy, crazy shit, when you actually read it:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/08/politics/trump-january-6-speech-transcript/index.html

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Ah but mister @seawulf575 why did the crowd riot that day, if all Orange hair did was preach peace and love what about those facts?
I really don’t want to read 15 pages of a speech I already heard,and listening to it made me want to barf but some how you think I will convert if I read your orange gods drivel.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Well teacher I read 7 pages of it and that was all I could stand for now,I will try and hold my food down tomorrow for the last 8 ,you still wont answer why did the crowd riot then?

@seawulf575 As far as I know Hillary didn’t question the vote, she questioned Russian hacking (which happened) and other circumstances prior to the vote during the run. She had things to say about our electoral system, and she did win the popular vote. She also did concede after the election that she lost and didn’t file a bunch of idiotic lawsuits (to use your word) nor did she try to egg on violent people to try to physically change the election results.

You do understand why it’s so important not to lie about the vote right? Or, to try to have one man change the voting results of the people? Are you saying Trump didn’t ask Pence not to confirm the vote?

What do you think about the Dominion voting machine lawsuit? I think so far they aren’t suing Trump, they are suing Fox, but Trump definitely was part of the lying chorus.

Are you saying that violence on January 6th wasn’t planned and organized by anyone. Forget Trump, do you think that was just a few tuque people being violent and mobbing the Capitol? It was planned. There is video tape of the planning. Bannon was on the radio encouraging it in the days leading up. Trump told security to let people with weapons in and stop checking “demonstrators” because he wasn’t worried that they would try to hurt him.

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 First off the crowd did not riot that day. Some of the crowd did but most did not. But let me ask: Who is Ray Epps? There are many, many videos of him actually inciting the charge at the Capitol. The FBI had him on the top 10 list of suspects…for a couple of days. Then they pulled him off their list of suspects at all. They didn’t bring him in or interview him and they never said why he was and then wasn’t a suspect. The J6 committee did not want to waste any time on him. Yet he was recorded actually planning and inciting the attack the night before and the day of. Now, contrast that with Trump where the claim is he didn’t really say anything that urged violence, but he spoke in code that the crowd understood. Huh. Which one seems like the bigger instigator?

How about those facts? Does that answer your question as to why the crowd may have gotten violent?

seawulf575's avatar

@JLeslie https://news.yahoo.com/hillary-clinton-maintains-2016-election-160716779.html Not to mention, when did she come out and denounce the Russia Collusion garbage as being based on her own opposition research? She didn’t have to sue…she had the Deep State doing it for her.

I do understand that no one person should be in charge of the results of an election. I also understand that for as long as we have had elections there have been those trying to cheat in them. To deny that is naïve. To question results when there are sketchy things that happen is not unreasonable. To throw the bullshit flag and not just accept potential cheating is not unreasonable. Elections are important, don’t you agree? And don’t you think that they need to be fair?

Questioning an election and investigating possible fraud is all ok when there is valid reason to do so. Trump filed something like 60 frivolous cases in the courts and promoted the idea that lots and lots of elections had corruption. Most of which was total bullshit. Literal bullshit with no reasoning except his desire to stay president. He implied there were no checks when election offices take careful measure to have bipartisan checks. They follow protocol. He questioned mail-in ballots, something he learned from Republicans going after that for YEARS but Florida it was ok. Lol. How can you not see he didn’t care if he lied or stole the election, and he doesn’t care what it does to the citizenry of our nation. He wanted Pence to not sign off on the vote.

jca2's avatar

and in the written transcript that I linked, he specifically mentions that he wants Pence to go back and decertify the vote. I forgot the exact words he used but it’s in there, I think third paragraph.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

For someone so in love with facts, Ray Epps is a Frightwing scape goat, a person for the Trump lovers to blame.
And yes he was questioned,and dropped as a suspect.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

And @seawulf575 I will agree with you the entire crowd did not riot, but hundreds upon hundreds did riot, ones that stayed behind the capital fence were protestors, and others that stayed at the rally were just rally goeres .

seawulf575's avatar

@JLeslie When Trump is leading in all the polls, leading in all the races until the middle of the night in several states when suddenly Biden jumps some ridiculous amount in the results, you have to ask what really happened. Questioning the election and investigating possible fraud would be entirely appropriate. The only thing that made it inappropriate is that Trump was the one calling it out. As for the 60 court cases, go back an look. They almost all refused to hear the case because they said they weren’t the right venue for the case. That is FAR different than hearing the case and throwing it out. And Trump had FAR more evidence that there were improprieties than Hillary ever had and yet we had to spend 10s of millions of dollars to investigate that claim. I know it is hard for you to acknowledge the inconsistencies in the arguments, but you don’t have facts on your side.

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ray-epps-interview-transcript-with-jan-6-panel-to-be-public-at-some-point No big reading so you don’t have to hurt yourself on this one. Videos. Think you can handle a minute and a half of videos? Explain how Ray Epps was NOT inciting things. In fact if you watch right before the first protestors push through the barracade, he whispers into the ear of one of the protestors who then starts pushing at the gates. Ray stands there waving others over to help. The J6 committee said they didn’t pursue anything with him because he didn’t actually enter the Capitol so therefore he didn’t commit any crimes. By that reasoning, neither did Trump. So if Trump can be guilty of “inciting violence” without entering the Capitol, why can’t Ray Epps?

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Yeah you’re absolutely right , Epps had as much influence on the crowd as Trump did ,in fact it might all be Epps fault Trump like usual is just innocent the evil left are accusing him of .
I know the real culprit it was Hunter’s lap top.
Maybe Epps should have been investigated more, but he was questioned.

. . . but whatabout Hillary’s email server . . . .! !

Hillary did it she incited the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers on Twitter !

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Yeah, she did it with Hunters lap top!

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 So when Ray Epps told the J6 committee that he was in the front and that he orchestrated it, why is it that they said there was nothing there? Again, your attempts at sarcasm to avoid facts is a weak play.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

The mob was there for their orange haired god, NOT Epps why would people listen to him he may have tried to bait people to go in and for that could be guilty of something but the mob went in for Trump and TRump alone.
You make it sound like he was the sole organizer of the entire event, and poor little Don Father was just an innocent victim how could we think him guilty of any of this?

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Plus if ole orange hair is as innocent as you claim why did it take three hours before he told the mob to go home, which they did as soon as he told them.
Doesn’t sound like Epps was in charge.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

So @seawulf575 not coming back to defend your hero about why it took him three hours to tell the rioters to stand down and go home to which they did sounds like ole orange hair had his thumb on that crowd, but Epps is a great scape goat to blame for the whole thing.
When they questioned Epps he said orchestrate may not have been the correct term to use.
Did he bait some of his fellow rioters to go in maybe and if guilty should be charged .
But to say he was the mastermind is lame for someone so in love with the facts.

seawulf575's avatar

@SQUEEKY2 All this goes back to my statement that if Trump did all these crimes there would be solid evidence, not stuff that was made up or doctored. Look at what you just said. Trump is guilty because he didn’t tell the crowd to stand down quickly enough. That constitutes proof to you. Forget that Trump asked, well before the rally, if the Capitol Police needed National Guard as back up for the number of people that were going to show up. Forget that he actually urged the crowd to be peaceful, he obviously spoke in code that only a few people in one part of the crowd would understand. And those people were doing what he told them to do (in code) because he didn’t tell them to stand down for 3 hours. Meanwhile, the guy that was right at the front where the push into the capitol started, the one that had been urging people to storm the capitol, the one that stated in testimony that he orchestrated it…that guy…is just a minor player and probably only misspoke.

This is what you are saying. You are twisting logic into a pretzel to make Trump the bad guy. You are spouting many of the things that those that twisted the evidence and ignored other evidence in the same effort are saying. You are not thinking for yourself but by God, Trump is BAD!!! That’s all that matters. Imagine if you had a justice system that acted like that. And you were accused of a crime, one you didn’t do. And suddenly all the “evidence” against you is as twisted and made up as what happens with Trump just about every single day. Would you consider that a fair justice system? I’d consider it a kangaroo court worthy of a third world nation under the control of some demented dictator.

I have stated many times on these pages that if Trump actually committed a crime then he needs to be held accountable for it. But I say the same thing for everyone. And what I have stated here is numerous examples of how much effort has been spent just trying to smear him as opposed to actually holding him to actual facts and evidence.

I am a firm believer that there needs to be one standard of justice that applies to all. Not one that applies to you and me and one that applies to politicians. Politicians, in my view, need to be held to a higher standard consistently. When the DoJ gives Hillary a pass for her handling of classified materials, try to crucify Trump for his, actually put a sailor in jail for his, and start trying to make excuses for Biden, then there is not one standard of justice. The DoJ has shown they are biased and partisan and are not willing to hold all to the same standard. THAT is what is truly dangerous to our nation.

SQUEEKY2's avatar

Do you mean like the mountain of evidence Trump and his lawyers had to prove the election was rigged?
Why ask for the metal detectors to be removed if it was going to be all peace and love?
The second that mob smashed windows he should have called them down ,but no.
The second that mob started chanting hang Mike Pence he should have called them down.
The second they were getting rough with Capital police he should have called them down,but you’re right it’s all Epps fault, Trump is just an innocent victim in all this just another witch hunt to get what you consider the greatest prez there ever was!!

seawulf575's avatar
composing

seawulf575 is crafting a response...

seawulf575 (14923 points)