General Question

miltonandmichele's avatar

Is there a such thing as a wireless network adapter that is NOT USB connected?

Asked by miltonandmichele (19points) January 12th, 2008

I’m looking for wireless G network adapter that connects to the PC using a regular CAT-5 ethernet networking cable. Does this exist??

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

SquirrelEStuff's avatar

How about a PCI wireless adapter??

adamandshauna's avatar

This does exist. It is called a wireless network bridge. Many salespeople don’t know it because it looks kinda similar to a router but I have one made by Netgear. It cost about $40 and works great with my USB 1.1 desktop. It looks like a router and plugs into your ethernet port. Your computer will think it’s attached directly to a wired network. They have them at most tech stores including Best Buy and Circuit City. Hope this helps!

cwilbur's avatar

You can use something like an Airport Express to do this – it looks like a power brick, has an Ethernet port, and is easily configurable to join a wireless network and bridge it to the Ethernet port.

I’m sure other manufacturers make something similar, but that’s the one I have experience with.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther