General Question

inquisitive1's avatar

Restaurant grade butter?

Asked by inquisitive1 (38points) March 25th, 2008

This probably sounds like a stupid question, but where does one get super high grade restaurant butter?

Do you know what I’m talking about here? The really good butter that high-end restaurants have. It’s so good, but nothing in the grocery store matches up. Even gourmet stores.

Please advise. Thanks!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

17 Answers

simone54's avatar

No, I don’t what you are talking about. Can you give some more info? What restaurant? What does it taste like?

oneye1's avatar

it is because they cook it over a low heat and spoon the fat out of the butter its called clarified butter

inquisitive1's avatar

No, I’m not talking about clarified butter, it’s just butter that you use for buttering your bread.

The flavor profile tastes like it has a higher butter fat or it’s made from more or a higher grade cream.

oneye1's avatar

Maybe butter they whip on site

markovitch's avatar

There’s really no such thing. there is higher quality butter, which is fresher/better milk, or an ‘artisan’ butter (like french salted butter), but there’s no real ‘restaurant quality’ butter.

You might be thinking of whipped butter, which is, y’know, butter, that’s been whipped.

Also, you might be confusing good butter with great bread. Seriously.

andrew's avatar

@inquisitive1 Have you tried Plugra butter? It has a very high fat content to it.

oneye1's avatar

you can make al kinds of butters I worked at a place we made mango butter to top our mahi mahi with

inquisitive1's avatar

Thanks for the thoughts. It’s not whipped, it’s hard. And yes, both the bread AND the butter are very good.

I haven’t tried Plugra butter. I just looked it up and that sounds exactly what I’m trying to explain here. Here’s the description I found of it.

<begin def>


Plugrá Butter Defined.
Plugrá, (pronounced PLOO GRA), is a European style butter lower in moisture and higher in butterfat than conventional butters. Plugrá butter imparts a richer taste and smoother texture to foods and is long preferred by leading chefs, bakers, confectioners and anyone who appreciates fine food.

What’s the Difference?
Regular butter contains 80% butterfat. The remaining 20% consists of water and milk solids. Plugrá European Style Butter contains 2% more butterfat and is slow-churned in a way that creates a lower-moisture, creamier texture than other butters.

</end def>

Thanks Andrew!!! Knowing what to call it will help me find it.

buster's avatar

goat butter makes the fluffiest biscuits

mcbealer's avatar

where can one buy Plugra?

hearkat's avatar

Some restaurants serve unsalted (or sweet) butter with their rolls… could that be what you’re thinking of?

andrew's avatar

@mcbealer Here in LA you get it at the schmancy Bristol Farms, though I know Trader Joe’s has a high-fat butter as well… it comes in a block and has a red wrapper.

mcbealer's avatar

@Andrew ~ thanks!

inquisitive1's avatar

okay, I picked up some Plugra butter and I’m extremely pleased. That’s it!!!! Higher butter fat & unsalted are…well…really good. Thanks for the tip Andrew.

I live in Seattle and purchased it at Trader Joes. If you Google “Plugra Butter” you’ll get the dairy website that has a store locator.

My life has changed and I’m darn happy about it. Just when you think life can’t get any better, it does.

mcbealer's avatar

@inquisitive1 ~ thanks for the tip. I went to their website and signed up to receive a coupon via email. I can’t wait to try it on some biscuits for breakfast Saturday :0)

sferik's avatar

I just watched an interview with chef Thomas Keller, who mentioned that he gets his butter from Diane St. Clair, owner of Animal Farm Dairy, which produces completely hand-kneaded butter in Vermont. It also has a butter-fat content of 87 percent and costs $15 per pound. This butter is used at both The French Laundry and Per Se.

mcbealer's avatar

@ Inquisitive1 and Andrew ~ the plugra was awesome and melted instantly over biscuits at breakfast yesterday. Thanks !

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther