SuperMouse's avatar

Tell us something great that happened to you today.

Asked by SuperMouse (30713 points ) April 3rd, 2009

Me? My JellyShirt arrived today and it fits perfectly! What great thing happened to you today?

asmonet's avatar

Well, I didn’t get hit by a bus, or killed in some horrible fashion.

For today, that’s all I got.

laurenigula's avatar

I volunteer at my Boys and Girls Club and we got to color, play tag, then make forts. It was like I was 8 again.

casheroo's avatar

I accidently left my window down over night, it poured rain earlier today. My car was drenched inside.
Apparently it got onto the computer of my car, because my windshield wipers will not stop…wiping. I was driving around, this lovely sunny day, with my wipers going.

laureth's avatar

My boss congratulated me for having a breakout fourth quarter at work. I have about half again as many perfect QC (quality control) scores as the team average. Yay. :)

sandystrachan's avatar

I sorted my three guitars so i can use them again .
And i thought about buying a JellyShirt but don’t know if i should

ru2bz46's avatar

I opened a Facebook account to test out some social networking stuff for my employer, and I heard from an old friend today. I haven’t seen him in 25 years.

SeventhSense's avatar

I drove my niece to work. I haven’t talked to her in months. She’s 18 and having a real hard time at home with her Dad. I was able to let her know that I loved her and that I’m always here for her and that felt good.

PupnTaco's avatar

Great? I confirmed with myself that craftsmanship is important to me. I’m working a temp job as a graphic artist, working on other people’s files. It’s truly stunning how bad these are.

I mean, really. Who creates a PowerPoint-style presentation as 32 individual files in Adobe Illustrator as 6.873×8.122 images on a 200” x 200” artboard with Rich Black defined as C 78.5% M 88.32% Y 97% K 84.6%?

seekingwolf's avatar

The dining hall had Apple Jacks! (I made off with a couple cups)
truTV started showing some awesome new episodes at 9!

(you can guess what I’m doing now)

It’s a good end to an overall stressful week.

wp1211's avatar

Went to dinner with some new friends, laughed harder than I have in weeks, enjoyed some cold beer and realized my life is pretty great and I don’t need to throw myself any more pity parties ;)

We brought my mother home from rehab; I had the Optometrist pop the lens back that Milo had removed from my eyeglasses (however, scratches could not be buffed out), my Prince Albert daffodils opened (several hundred of them), I was outside in shirt sleeves and jeans, the IRS owns me money this year and I have to pay no estimated taxes, and I lost five lbs.

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I saw this woman in the airport. She was well dressed. We were both in the eating area and it was pretty crowded. This man didn’t have
any place to sit, and since she was sitting alone, asked to join her. She said yes, and they
began to talk. A little while later, I heard them both start laughing, then the man said
something else, and the woman laughed again. Then they both got up, shook hands, introduced themselves, and
walked their seperate ways. For some reason , witnessing that completely made my day. My week, even.

Snoopy's avatar

My son read to me today…for the first time. Awesome.

augustlan's avatar

My husband woke me up early for a little “play time”. Later on, I took a lovely nap. While I was sleeping, he made me some bacon. I love that man.

aprilsimnel's avatar

I got my new business cards with my logo on them, and they look great! I got my full compliment of sleep. Also, my leftovers tasted better today than they did fresh yesterday.

rowenaz's avatar

In school one of my 3rd grade students who is super shy, reading at the 1st grade level, and not very confident trusted us (as a small class group) to do a part in the play – she tried really hard and read her lines beautifully!! I was so happy for her.

Also, a boy walked into my classroom, took a look at my daughter, and said, “She’s HOT!!” which just made me laugh and laugh all afternoon.

Elumas's avatar

I woke up in a bed, under a house with a roof. I ate food. I saw people who love me and I have loved them. I was not condemned for my beliefs. I live a blessed life.

Mr_M's avatar

I talked with some really great people on Fluther.

SuperMouse's avatar

@Mr_M flattery will get you everywhere!

elijah's avatar

My daughter drew a lovely comic strip for me today. It was about white blood cells and platelets fighting off infection. They had super hero capes. Good stuff.

arnbev959's avatar

Last night I got thirteen hours of sleep.

I got to see my baby cousin after school. Taking a cute baby for a walk around the neighborhood is always fun.

It’s Friday.

There is a shelf of free paperbacks at my local library. Today it had a few books that I’ve been looking for everywhere but could never find.

Mr_M's avatar

@SuperMouse , er, actually, did we talk today?

wundayatta's avatar

I got to watch Get Smart (on demand) with my kids, and we laughed and laughed. I deserve a good laugh, and it’s wonderful to share it with my kids!

aprilsimnel's avatar

@augustlan – Lurve for play time. And bacon.

SuperMouse's avatar

@Mr_M you weren’t speaking of Flutherer’s in general? Well then I take that it all back…

Facade's avatar

um…(after a few minutes of thought) nothing great happened, but the weather was nice.

DeanV's avatar

I didn’t bomb my science exam. Woot!

Good enough for me!

Mr_M's avatar

@SuperMouse, oh yeah! I meant Flutherers in general! That’s right!!

bythebay's avatar

My Mom squeezed my hand and smiled at me today when I was talking to her; the day nurse was a real bitch so I laughed when she spilled urine all over her shoes; my kids were delightful and saved me a plate of dinner that they made…and my husband rubbed my back. Not too shabby.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

We recently got a new baby in my room at the daycare, who is having major problems adjusting. She’s spent most of the past two weeks crying, but you can tell she’s getting a bit more comfortable. The past couple of days she’s stuck to me like glue, and hasn’t cried while she’s been with me. Today, she said her first word since she came 2 weeks ago, and that word was my name :) My heart melted.

casheroo's avatar

whoops, i was supposed to post something great that happened today, mine was pretty shitty
I hung out with my mother, and son. We watch Henry Poole Was Here, pretty good movie. I ran around their front yard with their dog, and my son. It was good times

VzzBzz's avatar

I received a text message from a phone number I didn’t recognize that read, “you are loved”; maybe it was spam.

ru2bz46's avatar

@VzzBzz…or maybe it wasn’t…

ru2bz46's avatar

I answered this question and got to read about a crapload of great things that happened to a bunch of great people. Lurves to you all! :-)

augustlan's avatar

@casheroo I don’t know… your first post made me smile. I just got a kick out of imagining the scene. Sunny day, driving through town, windshield wipers going full tilt!

Master_Blaster's avatar

I picked up the wood needed to install the windows I want.

icehky06's avatar

I got 1st in my Track meet : )

cak's avatar

I landed a project I was starting to think I wouldn’t get. My son read an entire book without struggling with the words (he’s in kindergarten). My daughter came home with no school complaints. My husband sang while he was in the shower – I love to her him sing.

Also, hearing that @bythebay‘s mother squeezed her hand, really makes me happy. and I giggled about the mean nurse and the urine spill. I’ve had one of those nurses, before! OH…I am slightly jealous that @augustlan had early playtime and bacon – but I’m happy for her!

cookieman's avatar

@augustlan: Makin’ Bacon indeed.

@icehky06: Congrats!!

@gailcalled: That is a great day.

@bythebay: So glad to hear that about your mother.

As for me, nothing out of the ordinary or especially good.

Maybe tomorrow.

YARNLADY's avatar

I slept until I was ready to wake up, I went on the internet as often as I wanted to, I did exactly as much housework as I needed to, and I cooked a very successful dinner. Even my adult grandson, who lives with me, went back for seconds.

SuperMouse's avatar

I must add that all of the fabulous responses to this question have really made my night! That is two wonderful things caused by Fluther!

Please also allow me to state that I got to see how excited my kids were after school when they realized that next week is spring break; I spent time with the one I love, and I got to chat with Gimmedat! All and all a pretty darn good day!

@everyone, I am so glad you all shared!

icehky06's avatar

@ aprilsimnel- thank you that made my day

AstroChuck's avatar

I started my first day of vacation.

That’s holiday to you European & down under Flutherites.

elijah's avatar

@AstroChuck Canadians also go on holiday. Eh?

asmonet's avatar

Update: I spoke to augustlan via comments, and she helped me feel okay. Better than that even. I smiled for the first time in three days.

A tremendous feat considering the week I’ve had.
Thank you.

miasmom's avatar

My daughter started crawling this week, (the doctors said she never would) and I thoroughly enjoyed watching her get around today. She’s our little miracle.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I took a very good friend to my tattoo parlor to get her an appointment for her second tattoo. Then, we went to the mall and shopped for girly things (something I don’t do very much since I spend most of my time with nerdy young men :P). After I dropped her back at school, I had lunch with my poor sick boyfriend (he’s got the flu :( ) and he felt much better afterwards. Then I went to another friend’s house and we watched a very funny movie (Kiss Kiss Bang Bang). I didn’t get any schoolwork done, but it was still a lovely day!

@asmonet: I sincerely hope your week improves and that you have many many reasons to smile. :)

cak's avatar

@miasmom – that is wonderful news!

miasmom's avatar

@cak Thanks, she has had 5 surgeries already and she had a stroke during the 4th surgery, they told us she wouldn’t do anything, but she continues to amaze us all.

cak's avatar

@miasmom – I can’t tell you how much I admire your strength. My 6 year old had many problems and we were told to be prepared for him not to live. Notice, I said 6yr old. He has faced surgeries and cancer – he continues to amaze us, everyday. His big sister is his biggest fan.

augustlan's avatar

This question is just making me so happy!

gimmedat's avatar

My daughter ran the 200 in 26.4 seconds…pretty awesomly amazing.

crisw's avatar

I bought a car! Pretty much got what I had been wanting- a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander with lots of cool bells and whistles.

Jeruba's avatar

I was having a hard time thinking of anything. But reading this thread inspired me.

Friday is my WAH day. I had to leave the house, though, to go to a farewell lunch for one of the most recent layoff casualties at work. It was like a reunion of others who’ve been laid off in the past two years—and they were all so happy! It’s like—passing through it is hard, but there’s nothing to fear on the other side, you know?

And I started a new jigsaw puzzle with my son, a beautiful, luxurious wooden one that I spent a big chunk of my last bonus on.

And my husband cooked supper for us, as he does nearly every night while I’m working and he is not.

augustlan's avatar

@Jeruba At first I thought WAH day meant a day spent crying! I’m a little slow at this time of night.

Jeruba's avatar

Sorry. “Working at home.”

augustlan's avatar

I did figure it out… I’m not that slow! ;-)

mitten13's avatar

Ever get a stuffy nose and think about how much is sucks not benig able to breath out of your nose,i’m happy my nose isn’t stuffed,so i can breath out of it.Thats just something i like to think about every once and a while, being thankful. For today, i listened to music and did a light meditation.It was great.

WifeOfBath's avatar

Many people are happy with the the unnecessary things I “had” in my home, because they had a need for it, I gave it to them this morning, and a few will build homes with the many things I gave them that were stored for many years. I feel happy and free that I gave it all away for free…:D

And I can’t wait to give some more away at least half of what I have I no longer want or need..:D

Zen's avatar

I woke up.

bythebay's avatar

@Zen: That’s a good start!

cookieman's avatar

OK, well today has started well.

I woke up without the alarm, feeling rested (a very rare occurance); I can hear birds singing outside my window; and I have a great song stuck in my head (I sleep with headphones).

bythebay's avatar

@cprevite: How do you roll over with headphones on?

MissAusten's avatar

I’ve done nothing today yet other than make coffee and give the kids leftover pizza for breakfast—so I’ll pretend like it’s still yesterday!

My husband came home from work early, during a thunderstorm, and the power went out for an hour and a half. Just long enough to be fun! It came back on just in time for us to order some pizza and watch “Bolt” with the kids. It’s a funny movie, but even funnier when you watch with kids who laugh hysterically through the whole thing.

I taught a really great class on Robert Frost to very entusiastic and bright adult learners. It was terrific!

mattbrowne's avatar

It’s Saturday and I don’t have to drive to work.

cookieman's avatar

@bythebay: I don’t really roll. I sleep on my back (propped up a little). I usually wake up in the exact same spot

@janbb: Which poems?

ru2bz46's avatar

@MissAusten You need kids to laugh for you while watching that kind of film? I roll on the floor all by myself!

I woke up on my down mattress feeling like I had slept ‘til the afternoon, but it was only 8:30a, and I still have the whole day to enjoy.

MissAusten's avatar

@ru2bz46 Heck no, I don’t the kids around to laugh at that movie! It’s just that hearing them belly laugh makes it even funnier!

essieness's avatar

I’m a little late here, but here goes:

It was my mom’s birthday, so we (me, Mom, and step-dad) made a nice dinner together and then sat out on the deck all night drinking and talking about anything and everything. Then, our neighbor came over, whom I’ve only met once in passing, and she’s super cool. Her and her husband are transplants from California, so they’re liberals… in East Texas… right next door… yay! She’s a writer and her second book has been picked up by an agent. She’s going to let me read it and give her pointers. It was neat making a new friend :)

sdeutsch's avatar

I walked around my favorite city in the beautiful sunshine with my wonderful husband. And stopped for biscotti on the way back. Perfect day!

aprilsimnel's avatar

I learned a new punch today at karate class!

SuperMouse's avatar

@sdeutsch what is your favorite city?

@aprilsminel, what style of karate? What punch did you learn? When I was taking karate the punches were my favorite part. I can throw a mean back fist and a killer upper-cut!

I lurve this thread!

elijah's avatar

Today I took my daughter to sign up for the new cheerleading season. She has moved up to JV. I cleaned and rearranged the office area, and made chocolate chip cookies.

aprilsimnel's avatar

@SuperMouse – I am studying gojo. I learned the jodan punch today. I love when we punch with kiis (sp?)

punch HUH! punch HUH! punch HUH!

sdeutsch's avatar

@SuperMouse Pittsburgh, PA – I grew up here, and we just moved back after 7 years away. It’s wonderful to be home!

@gailcalled Poems I taught were:

“Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Day”
“Not to Keep”
“Mending Wall”
“Home Burial”

A few of his more well-known ones and a couple of more obscure ones. It was also a nice mix of themes and different rhyme and meter schemes. “Not to Keep” and “Home Burial” are really powerful, compelling poems.

TitsMcGhee's avatar

A bartender at a bar I frequent actually made his move after flirting with me a good deal, told me that he’d been thinking about it for awhile, and proved to me just how awesome he is, all in the wake of me being over someone else.

Then we exchanged numbers in the morning :D

asmonet's avatar

Is it the Jonathan Rhys Meyers guy? Say yes. ;)

TitsMcGhee's avatar

@asmonet: It iiiiiiiis. He’s wunderbar and good in bed!!! I just want to make sure that he really does like me and wasn’t using his bartender charm to get dans ma pantalons.

asmonet's avatar

:D

Rock it. :)

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I will, just for you wifey :)

bythebay's avatar

Well, while tits was getting busy with some new guy, I was celebrating being married for 17 years to the same old guy! :)
We got lots of wonderful wishes from friends & families, had a fantastic sushi dinner and toasted our lurve. Just called the hospital and my Mom is holding steady – a good day.

casheroo's avatar

@bythebay congrats on 17 years! and that’s great about your mother, i’m happy to hear she’[s steady :)

bythebay's avatar

Thanks cash!

YARNLADY's avatar

Can I tell you every day? Today my son came over and took me to the park to watch my 2 year old grandson play.

casheroo's avatar

@YARNLADY that’s super sweet :)

today, when my father picked me up from work (my car is in the shop) my son was in the back seat, and he held my hand the entire ride home and babbled his night to me. i loved it.

YARNLADY's avatar

@casheroo awwwwww, that is sweet. Aren’t we blessed?

elijah's avatar

I think it would be fun if every day we post something good that happens to us :-)

bythebay's avatar

@elijahsuicide: I agree. And @casheroo, that’s the sweetest thing I’ve heard all day!

aviona's avatar

It was my birthday yesterday, when this was posted. I went to the ocean with friends and didn’t die despite the treacherous circumstances. And then I had a most fabulous time at the Ratatat concert and got an amazing massage from them afterward!
I laughed a lot. More than I have in a long time.
And they baked me a delicious cake!
It’s been a good couple of days, plus the weather was beauuutiful :)

AstroChuck's avatar

@aviona- Happy belated birthday.

Jeruba's avatar

So, @aviona, in relation to this question—you went to the show! and had a great time! Who’d you go with? Glad you had a wonderful birthday.

aviona's avatar

@Jeruba, wow good memory! :) I did go with my ex, but our other friend had bought a ticket and wasn’t going to the show so she gave it to our other friend, so the three of us went. It was fun to have friends to dance with. I made some new ones, too :D

Thanks @AstroChuck!

augustlan's avatar

Happy birthday, A! Glad you went to the concert, and it all worked out ok. :)

aviona's avatar

@augustlan :: thanks you!

@aviona I’m glad you decided to go to the concert and that you had a great time. Happy Birthday! It sounds like things are going better for you.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@aviona: Happy happy birthday! May you have many more!

I have only just woken up so my day hasn’t really started yet, yesterday, however, I had a good day. I spent the day with my mom watching movies and then I visited my boyfriend at work. It was his last day (his boss is terrible) so that’s also a wonderful thing. :)

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

@YARNLADY is this the grandson in Sweden?

aprilsimnel's avatar

@aviona – Happy (belated) birthday! I’m glad you didn’t miss the show! Ratatat’s a great band.

jonsblond's avatar

@bythebay Blondesjon and I celebrated our 17th anniversary Saturday! Congrats to you and your hubby. :) I’m happy to hear it’s a good day for you.

KatawaGrey's avatar

Okay, my day has officially started. I didn’t have to spend 70 dollars on anti virus software!

Happy anniversary to all who mentioned an anniversary!

jonsblond's avatar

@KatawaGrey Thanks!

@aviona Happy belated birthday! :D

SuperMouse's avatar

Happy Anniversary! Happy Birthday!

This thread just keeps making me smile!! I lurve this question! Mouse pats herself on the back and clicks great question. In the interest of keeping it going: this morning I slept in until 9:30 and got tons of laundry done. So far off to a pretty good start.

Today, I went for a walk by “my” lake and saw two herons and a cormorant. I also hung my washing out on the line for the first time this Spring. And I don’t have to go anywhere in the car. A good day!

First I saw my first phoebe of the season and then I heard a pair of them singing to each other. Or perhaps I should say “buzzing” because they make raspy sounds. (Milo found the sighting extremely interesting also.)

Happy celebration to all who are celebrating something.

@janbb; That means our herons should arrive soon. Unhappily it is too cold for cormorants. I too have a day without errands. Lovely.

aviona's avatar

@everyone :: THANKS! :)

ru2bz46's avatar

I got to go to another fantastic yoga class with my favorite teacher. After that I visited my wife and helped her with an errand out of town. On the way back, I pulled off the road so we could take our dog for a walk down a trail by some wetlands we were passing by.

MissAusten's avatar

OK—today I had a really great day. My husband’s great aunt treated her side of the family to lunch at a very nice seafood place. I had clam chowder and a lobster omelet—and two mimosas. My kids were well behaved on top of it all! We came home and played t-ball in the back yard with the kids, which was just hysterical. Our youngest didn’t get the concept of running bases, and the 5 year old whacked my husband in the head with the bat. The weather was fantastic, and we wore the kids out. After they went to bed, my husband ran out to pick up some Chinese food, and then we had a martini. I’m thinking I might have just one more martini before I collapse into bed!
Birthday and Anniversary wishes to all appropriate parties!

YARNLADY's avatar

@MissAusten It made me happier today to just read your account, and I wake up happy every day. Thanks for sharing.

This evening my SuperDuper external back-up worked on schedule and actually backed up the regular back-up (Time Machine). That may seem pretty white bread for many of you, but for me it is a major accomplishment.

Several hundred more daffodils opened; by next week I should have c. 5000 in bloom.

bythebay's avatar

@gailcalled, maybe tomorrow you can post a pic of your daffodils?

@bythebay: In order to get the huge area in, the photos I have are not very interesting. Just imagine Wordsworth, wandering lonely as a cloud and finding his host of golden daffodils.

I have many minis (6” high and underplanted with blue squill) in my woods, meandering stream-like trails on either side of driveway of the larger ones, and random patches everywhere.

@gailcalled If we bring a picnic lunch, can we all come and go for a walk in your woods?

The entire collective would have room to roam; just remember the tick issue and wear only white – long pants, long sleeves, socks over pants bottom, boots and DEET. All welcome.

Jeruba's avatar

Why only white? and what’s DEET?

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled Do you have any game animals (deer, pigs, elk, etc.) on the property? Sorry, I’m hungry and waiting for my dinner to cook.

@Jeruba: The deer ticks (very very small) show up better on a white background, and DEET is:

“N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide, abbreviated DEET, is the most common active ingredient in insect repellents. It is intended to be applied to the skin or to clothing, and is primarily used to repel mosquitos. In particular, DEET protects against tick bites (preventing several rickettsioses, tick-borne meningoencephalitis and other tick-borne diseases) and mosquito bites (which transmit dengue fever, West Nile virus, Eastern Equine Encephalitis, and malaria).

@ru2bz46: I am overrun with white-tail deer, coyotes, some foxes in spring, rabbits, possums and pheasants. However, there are strict laws for hunting here; licenses, inspections and various seasons for bow and arrow, musket, and shotguns.

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled I used to work for Fish & Game, and I hunt according to the Rules of Fair Chase with bow and arrow. I am very active in many archery organizations, so I am quite familiar with and support strict laws. I don’t hunt predators, though because I don’t want to eat them. (Now, how do I get to your property?)

@ru2bz46: Remind me in the fall when hunting season opens. I have a loyal father and son team who hunt, but there’s enough to go around; I hate the deer. They eat everything, even the spruces, which must be similar to swallowing steel wool. And Lyme disease is becoming more and more prevalent.

Predators here are an occasional moose, brown bear, bobcat and alleged sightings of mountain lions. I saw a serval cat once; it must have escaped from someone’s home.

sdeutsch's avatar

My great moment for the day: I went to Schenley Park – possibly my very favorite place on earth – and sat in the grass watching my hubby fly his kite (well, he tried to fly the kite – there was practically no wind, so he ended up sitting in the grass with me…) It was the first time the weather was nice enough to go to the park since we moved back here – it was wonderful!

jonsblond's avatar

We are expecting 3–5 inches of snow tonight. One more chance to go sledding. My 5 year old daughter is very excited!

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled It’s a date!

fullOFuselessINFO's avatar

I NARROWLY ESCAPED BEING ATTACKED BY AN ALLIGATOR.
for real.
true story.

AstroChuck's avatar

I just missed running into my ex-wife while visiting my daughter this afternoon.

augustlan's avatar

I wonder which story is worse, alligator or ex-wife…

I did a bunch of painting (walls, not art) this weekend. I felt a lot of pain, but worked through most of it. Both my husband and one of my daughters told me they were proud of me. I was pretty proud of myself, too. :)

bythebay's avatar

I’m going to have a busy day today; I’m heading out to @jonsblond‘s house to sled…then going over to @gailcalled ‘s to meander through the the daffodils (my favorite flower in the world). If I have time, I’ll wrap up the evening with a cup of tea @Marina ‘s. ;)

ru2bz46's avatar

@bythebay Sounds like a great time!

JellyB's avatar

I got a compliment on the beaded coffee mug coaster i made?

JellyB's avatar

I got a compliment (well, 2) on the beaded coffee mug coaster i made?
And oh! I got the beads i ordered in the mail today – it really is exciting…. :)

@bythebay If you want to stop by my house for a bagel, you’re more than welcome!

@bythebay; Here’s a rain check; it is pouring and 38˚. There may be snow flurries as well. I would love 24 hours in which to launder my winter parka.

asmonet's avatar

@bythebay: One of my all time favorite flowers too, I still hold Pansies dear, Alice in Wonderland sold me on them as a child. I love their little baby lion faces.

bythebay's avatar

@asmonet: Lurve pansies, too! So many flowers seem like they have faces. @gailcalled: Ok, I’ll take the rain check, so @janbb – now I have time to stob by for a bagel…thanks!

YARNLADY's avatar

I’m sitting out by the pool today with my laptop, fluther, and my dog, and wondering if it’s time to turn on the pool heater yet.

DeanV's avatar

It’s a nice sunny day. Good enough!

elijah's avatar

@YARNLADY I’m jealous! I can’t wait to open my pool. It was almost 70 degrees here a couple days ago, and tonight we are supposed to get snow. :-(

YARNLADY's avatar

@elijahsuicide I was getting ready to put up my Gazebo, but they say rain is on the way, so I’ll have to put it off for a few days, at least.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I got to see a very good friend of mine today and he helped me with my computer problems!

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I got recommended for two honors classes and one AP class!

asmonet's avatar

I shamed 30 people in my class for their condescending views toward online dating with one sentence!

“My half-sister met her husband of two years on eHarmony and they couldn’t be happier.”

Bitch. :)

arnbev959's avatar

Some of my seeds came in the mail today. I ordered late, so they were out of a lot of stuff (including the melon I was excited about) but that’s ok. I’ll still be able to find stuff elsewhere. It was nice to get some of them.

During lunch I took a walk to the public library. I roamed around the shelves and ate my lunch. Then it started raining. Hard. I couldn’t wait for it to stop since I had to get back to school, so I got drenched walking back. This was a good thing. It was fun.

ru2bz46's avatar

I got my new personalized license plate approved! :D

arnbev959's avatar

@ru2bz46: What’s it say?

MissAusten's avatar

It rained all day here and turned our yard into a mud pit. However, the spectacularly bright rainbow that appeared in the evening was pretty great.

ru2bz46's avatar

@petethepothead If I told you, my cover would be blown, and I’d have to kill you. Sorry :-(

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

we had the best sub in spanish today. Mr. Q. There was something so real about him. I had to come in early to turn in a project (little clay sculptures in a shoebox) and when I turned t in to him, he seemed genuinly interested. He didn’t just tell me to put it on the shelf, he asked to look inside and wanted to know more about my project. That made me feel happy. But that’s not all; he started out the class by telling us his life story, minus his childhood. No exageration. He was so funny. The was the best class ever.

PrancingUrchin's avatar

I finished my two lab reports earlier than expected so I could go over to my girlfriend’s place and take care of her. She’s under the weather.
Oh yeah, baseball started today!! w00t go Red Sox!

MissAusten's avatar

My great moment of the day is right now—all the kids are at school, it’s very quiet, and I’m drinking some coffee while I eat Haagen-Dazs Brown Sugar ice cream out of the carton. Bliss!

sdeutsch's avatar

Cream cheese and jelly sandwich for lunch. Sometimes it’s the little things… =)

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I love this thread!

Oh, make that 3 honors classes, as of today!

SuperMouse's avatar

I spent the day at the park with the boys. They played in the creek, climbed on the rocks, rode their scooters and we all had a great time.

miasmom's avatar

I got a new nephew today! Baby boy, to be named later, was born at 1am and weighed in at 6 pounds 1 ounce, 18 inches…mom and baby are doing well. I can’t wait to meet the little guy!

casheroo's avatar

@miasmom aww! congrats!

casheroo's avatar

today my son and i just baked cupcakes together. it was the first time i’ve really allowed him in the kitchen (it’s usually off limits to him) he got a kick out of stirring the ingredients together, he kept trying to eat it so I avoided putting the eggs in. He did get a taste and kept saying “mmm good” hehe. And now I will look forward to eating them, once they’re done!

Jeruba's avatar

Loved the image, @casheroo. I let my son start helping me bake as soon as he was big enough to stand on a chair with an oversize apron on. (I didn’t want my sons to grow up helplessly dependent when it came to cooking!) By the time he was 5 he had the cookie recipes memorized and knew where all the implements and ingredients were. Today at 25 he is fearless and brilliant in the kitchen.

@Jeruba and @casheroo My younger son helped me with baking from the time he could stand on a chair too. I had to laugh at myself some years ago when he asked if he could help and I told him to pull over a chair, then realized that he towered over me! He’s 26 now and still happy to scrape the bowl when I bake.

SuperMouse's avatar

One great thing that happened to me today? This thread is taking longer and longer to load!!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I only had one class in school today, thoroughly cleaned my mom’s van for passover, just got back from a huge poetry competition where I won 2nd place in my division and my school won overall!, and I am currently holding a 2.5-month old child who just fell asleep in my arms.

jonsblond's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Congratulations! You are also very lucky to be holding a baby right now. There is hardly anything sweeter than that, IMO. :)

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I found out the TV show Greek is back!

KatawaGrey's avatar

I went to Goodwill to buy some things for my apartment and had a lovely chat with a stranger. I got an A- on my latest media production project. I got to spend some time with a friend who I don’t see nearly often enough.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@jonsblond, Thanks! And I have yet to find something that makes me love life more than holding a child, especially a sleeping one, in my arms.

casheroo's avatar

@Jeruba I’m pretty sure my husband will be doing most of the teaching, he’s a chef ;) I’m better at baking though, so I can help with that part. It was so cute to see how excited he gets. He’s been in commercial kitchens since he was born, so he just loves to cook like his daddy.

aprilsimnel's avatar

My teacher at the dojo told me today that I have come a long way! Yay! I felt so clumsy just a few days ago. I went into Target to pick up stuff, and not only was it not crowded, I got a cashier right away! If you knew this Target, you’d understand why it’s a big deal that it wasn’t crowded.

elijah's avatar

I finally forced myself to sit down and balance my checkbook. I put in an application at a nice salon, and I got a new orchid. I really hope I don’t kill it.

jonsblond's avatar

My daughter just fell asleep with her arm around me and she’s snoring in my ear. I couldn’t be happier.

ru2bz46's avatar

I solved a proof-of-concept issue at work that will allow me to release a software product in a few weeks that will save the California government over $1 million a year! (I know, it’s a drop in the bucket out here, but every little bit helps)

aprilsimnel's avatar

@ru2bz46Wow! That’s wonderful!

ru2bz46's avatar

@aprilsimnel As a government employee, it’s all in a day’s work, but thank you.

MissAusten's avatar

When I woke up this morning, I checked my email while waiting for the coffee to brew. I had an email from a good friend I’ve known since jr. high—they’ve been trying for years to have a baby and have gone through various awful treatments and almost given up. She wrote to tell me that she’s finally pregnant! Made me cry a little bit, I was so thrilled! It was such an awesome way to start the morning!

KatawaGrey's avatar

@MissAusten: That is wonderful! As the result of one of those situations (it took my mother something like 7 years to get pregnant) I’m always happy to hear another success story. I hope she has a beautiful baby!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I forgot to mention and couldn’t later on since Fluther was down that at the poetry competition yesterday, since it was state-wide and there were SO many people there, I got to see 3 friends whom I haven’t seen in many many months (two years for one of them!). A very joyous reunion indeed :)

Jeruba's avatar

Congratulations on your showing, @Tali! You did great. And the reunion was a wonderful plus.

ru2bz46's avatar

Another great yoga class this evening. Also, since I’m going in to work in the peaceful nighttime hours tonight, I got to sleep in this morning.

arnbev959's avatar

As of today, I’ve been a Flutherite for one year!!!

augustlan's avatar

Happy anniversary Pete!

Jeruba's avatar

It’s our wedding anniversary. And my husband made lobster Newburg for me when I got home from work!

augustlan's avatar

Happy anniversary Jeruba!

Jeruba's avatar

Thank you so much!

aprilsimnel's avatar

Happy anniversary, Jeruba! May you and your husband have many more loving years together!

elijah's avatar

I got out of the house for a few hours today. I went out to watch the hockey game. The Sabres most likely won’t make it to the playoffs this year, but at least we didn’t end it with a loss to the Leafs. I’m happy.

Jeruba's avatar

Thank you, @aprilsimnel. I told him when we got married that I thought forty years would probably be long enough. Now, even though we’re not actually there yet, I’m thinking I wouldn’t actually mind an extension.

KatawaGrey's avatar

My friend joined fluther!

MissAusten's avatar

I took my son to an Easter egg hunt at a preschool friend’s house. The kids were playing in the playroom, and I heard my son say to one of his friends, “Hey, do you have a testicle?” The other little boy was like, “What?” And my son said, “So we can play doctor!” I’m pretty sure he meant to say stethescope. There was one other mom in the room, and we were both laughing so hard we had tears running down our faces.

ru2bz46's avatar

My friend at work came back from vacation today, and we had a great talk. I met with reps from another State department and signed them on to use my software, which is free to them, so they don’t have to buy another package.

augustlan's avatar

I picked up my children from their father’s house today. We get to have the long Easter weekend together. :)

asmonet's avatar

I had a really good interview, and if I get the job, I’d almost immediately be making almost 40K. Within two months, I could be financially back on track and in my own apartment.

Today is thrilling. :)

YARNLADY's avatar

My Grandson is learning the power of yes and no. When I ask him “Do you want to go out?” He says “yes” and runs to the door. So I open the door, and he sits down on the floor and says “no”. So I close the door and he jumps up and yells “yes” and runs to the door. “yes” – “no” – “yes” – “no” this goes on until we both fall on the floor laughing.

ru2bz46's avatar

@YARNLADY My chihuahua is at that same stage. Children really are the ultimate pets (at least they can progress farther).

YARNLADY's avatar

@ru2bz46 Only if you’re lucky, hahaha

bythebay's avatar

My Mom was released from the hospital today, we moved her to a step down-rehab facility for some physical therapy. A banner day!

@bythebay Great news! I’m so happy for you.

bythebay's avatar

thanks bunches janbb!

DeanV's avatar

I got out of school early and went and played music with friends.

ru2bz46's avatar

I got a tetanus shot in the muscle today, and didn’t even feel it! I guess that means I have no muscle.

MissAusten's avatar

I took my 10 year old daughter to a nail salon, where we both got manicures and pedicures. I didn’t even bat an eyelash when she chose purple toenail polish and gold fingernail polish. We had a ball together—it was her first professional nail experience, and the place we went to really pampered us! Too bad I already chipped a few of my nails!

arnbev959's avatar

I got stoned and attended a Jimi Hendrix party. And I had strawberry shortcake.

SuperMouse's avatar

@petethepothead what is a Jimi Hendrix party?

@bythebay – I am so glad to hear about your mom!

arnbev959's avatar

It’s a party where the music is exclusively Hendrix. And where we eat brown rice “because that’s what they found in his stomach when he died.” And strawberry shortcake because it was his favorite dessert. And there’s a lot of weed, because, well, it’s a Jimi Hendrix party.

SuperMouse's avatar

Do you burn guitars?

arnbev959's avatar

No, we don’t go that far. Some people play guitars though.

asmonet's avatar

Can I just go ahead and invite me to the next one of those parties?

I got to see the profile of my grandson-to-be in Paris on a sonogram via Skype!

KatawaGrey's avatar

It’s been a few days since I’ve been able to get a computer, but they’ve been a good few days. I spent all weekend with my boyfriend. I kicked some major ass in a magic draft on Friday (including my boyfriend’s) and got third place out of 17 players. Today I had a wonderful Easter dinner with my mother and a number of our friends. It’s been a good weekend. :)

PrancingUrchin's avatar

Yesterday I got an Easter card from my parents with $40 much-needed dollars for this poor college student. I’ll make it last the rest of the school year. It’s like they can sense when I’m broke.

sdeutsch's avatar

@bpeoples and I got up early this morning and hid easter eggs for my parents to find. They were like little kids trying to get dibs on the best eggs – it was great!

ru2bz46's avatar

Another great yoga class, then I went to visit my wife for Easter. We went out for lunch, then stopped by a village park and watched the wild chickens play and had some good conversation. The weather was perfect for lounging.

@ru2bz46: Since you mentioned it, why the need to visit your wife? I hope she is not ill.

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled She is fine; we are separated.

Aha. Nice that you two are still doing lovely things together. I hope you can reconcile.

(Wild chickens?)

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled I don’t think we’ll reconcile; she cheated too many times. I’ve forgiven her, and I love her, but I cannot be married to her.

There is a small part of town where somebody dropped of some chickens years ago, and the adapted. They’re prolific in the area, and the town now has chickens on the welcome signs and there is even an annual chicken festival. Everybody in the area knows about the village and their chickens. Usually, you will have to stop to let the chickens cross the road at some point through town.

miasmom's avatar

My daughter had surgery last Thursday and we came home from the hospital last night. It was nice to celebrate Easter at home, everything with the surgery went well and she is doing well, hopefully we only have one more surgery this summer and then we will be done.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@ru2bz46 But why are the chickens crossing the road? :P

augustlan's avatar

I had a lovely Easter today. In addition to my husband and children, we also hosted my best friend and her daughter, my ex-husband (my children’s father), our best local friends (a gay male couple), my step-son and his girlfriend, and a woman I’ve only met twice… a neighbor (who lives alone) that my kids have taken a liking to. It was an interesting mix of good people and good food. :)

jonsblond's avatar

@miasmom I hope your daughter is well. It must be difficult for you. I love seeing her smile when I see your avatar!

@petethepothead Was Shortcake as good as Lemon Meringue? ;)

ru2bz46's avatar

Hmmm…it’s a tough one today since I think I’m getting a cold. Ah, I had a bottle of rum in the cabinet with which I soothed my sore throat! I signed a new lease renewal on my apartment which will save me $135/month off rent (plus a bonus $169 off next month and a free carpet cleaning)!

bythebay's avatar

I spent a beautiful day at the ocean with my kids on the last day of their spring break. It’s been very hard on them with my Mom being sick and I’ve been away alot…this time together was much needed. We ate junk, took old time photos, walked on the beach, and laughed. They’re back to school this morning and I’m off to finally take my Mom home. Whew! It’s been a long 18 days.

SuperMouse's avatar

Have I mentioned how much I am lurving this question?!

I got to spend time with my S/O yesterday afternoon, then I went home made dinner for my boys and we had a dance party. They taught me the Electric Slide (I didn’t have the heart to tell them the 90’s called and asked for their dance back) and the Bus Stop.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I woke up this morning feeling refreshed and well-rested. I got an extension on my history paper and we are learning about WWII which is my favorite part of recent to learn about. I had a lovely time with my mother yesterday and we watched some DS9.

sdeutsch's avatar

I just spent an hour and a half writing an email to one of my best friends. Now that I’ve moved, we live across the country from each other and don’t talk as much as we’d like – but reading her emails and writing back to her always makes me happy!

miasmom's avatar

@jonsblond She is doing great, thanks for asking!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I finally finished the paper I have been working on for three weeks now, and I think it turned out pretty damn well. My first period teacher wasn’t here so I had from 7:45 – 12:00 to relax and get some work done (hence the paper being finished). It is now 5:00 and I’m home for the day, getting work done and feeling very productive and accomplished for once.
I’m also about to call PnL, which is always fun :)

bythebay's avatar

lurve for a great day tali!!

ru2bz46's avatar

My fever broke this afternoon, then I went out with half of my siblings to take my parents out for my mom’s birthday. My estranged wife told me she wants to look for a baby-daddy, so I guess I don’t have to be the one to tell her I don’t want to come back to her. :-)

YARNLADY's avatar

@ru2bz46 I keep seeing “baby-daddy” over and over. What do you mean by that? Isn’t the baby’s daddy the father of the child?

ru2bz46's avatar

@YARNLADY Yes, exactly. She wants a baby, we’re separated, and I’ve had a vasectomy. She wants to find some guy to knock her up.

YARNLADY's avatar

@ru2bz46 I don’t see how that fits this “feel good” question”

ru2bz46's avatar

It was in the second half of the sentence, ”...so I guess I don’t have to be the one to tell her I don’t want to come back to her. :-)”

YARNLADY's avatar

@ru2bz46 Oh, I get it. Well, congratulations.

ru2bz46's avatar

@YARNLADY Yeah, I guess it’s not everybody’s kind of victory, but my wife is pretty fragile. I had to leave her so she can learn to stand on her own – she is entirely too dependent on me, and I think her numerous affairs are, in a way, her way of “getting control”. She was pretty broken up when I left, but I told her that we could work on things. It didn’t take long for me to realize I didn’t want to go back, but I didn’t want to have to deal that blow to her. At least in this way, she has made the decision and has gained her own sense of control. I hope that’s how it works, anyway.

YARNLADY's avatar

@ru2bz46 Wisdom nugget for the day, “It is not your concern anymore, thank goodness”.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

Well, my editing window has long been closed, but to add to what I said before, I just checked my grades and went from the 67.9 I was getting this morning to a 90.5. I am one happy puppy :)

asmonet's avatar

After five months of unemployment, a month of food stamps, a sick mother, school and living on the generosity of friends I have finally landed a job that within three months should have me earning 35–40K. I will be able to get out of debt, it’s a 9 to 5 so I can continue my school work and have money left to help out at home, and possibly move out in a few months.

Life is fucking fantastic today.

aprilsimnel's avatar

Woo-hoo! Now that deserves cake!

jonsblond's avatar

@asmonet I’m so happy for you! :D

Congrats, asmonet – Cake all around!

asmonet's avatar

beercakes! yesssss.

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

Today I walked home from school in the hail and rain. Not what I would usually consider great, but it was actually pretty fun! And, as I said before:

Kittykins!

casheroo's avatar

@asmonet i knew you were too awesome to not get the job. good for you!!!

YARNLADY's avatar

MY JELLYSHIRT ARRIVED TODAY!

Jeruba's avatar

@asmonet, an immense, gigantic, enormous, huge big cheer for you!! Congratulations.

asmonet's avatar

:D

Thanks guys. :)

KatawaGrey's avatar

@asmonet: That is fantastic! Party at as’s place!

On a different note, I started editing my music video today and even though I’ve only got about 5 shots edited, it looks great!

casheroo's avatar

I went to the park with my son, and he made so many new friends. I also ran into a girl I used to work with, many years ago, and she has a son close to my sons age! So excited to have a new mommy friend. yeah i’m a dork.

jonsblond's avatar

@casheroo Mommies need mommy friends. Nothing dorkish about that. :)

sdeutsch's avatar

My dad has a promising-looking job interview this Thursday – he’s been out of work for a year and a half now, so this is pretty exciting stuff! (Didn’t happen to me, exactly, but it definitely made my day when he told me!)

@asmonet Congrats on the job!!!

asmonet's avatar

Thanks again!

Today I woke up and my landlord had left a CONGRATULATIONS present on my doorstep, consisting of brake light replacements, new windshield wipers, $20 and a $100 Sunoco gas card.

I’m going to be ‘commuting’ for like the first time ever, so I kinda really needed those. :)
My landlord is awesome.

bythebay's avatar

@asmonet: You deserve this success and the gifts…congrats!

KatawaGrey's avatar

Oh asmonet, that is great! I think you must have accidentally shared your good fortune because I just talked to a friend of mine who said he would put in a good word for me at another of the stores where he works and I could get a job there this summer. Thanks for sharing the love girly. :)

MissAusten's avatar

@asmonet Congrats! That is wonderful news!

The best part of my day was seeing the UPS man come up the drive with my new Carlos Ruiz Zafon book, “The Angel’s Game.” I spent all afternoon speed-reading to finish the book I started yesterday. Now I’m about to throw the kids in bed so I can dive into my new book! I’m a book slut

KatawaGrey's avatar

@MissAusten: Your name is a great indicator. ;)

I just saw my favorite comedian live and got to talk to him after the show! Also, the asshole that I thought was going to be there, didn’t show so I spent the whole time laughing instead of worrying if he was going to talk to me.

sdeutsch's avatar

@MissAusten How’s the book? I loved Shadow of the Wind – I had no idea he had a new book out! I’ll have to make a trip to the bookstore tomorrow…

I spent an hour today chatting with my little sister, who I haven’t talked to in over a week. Normally we talk almost every day, but she’s been busy with school and work this week – I was starting to go through withdrawal!

MissAusten's avatar

@sdeutsch I’m only a couple chapters in, but so far so good. I just love his writing style. The book isn’t on sale yet, so save yourself a trip to the book store. Several months ago I was “invited” to participate in the Amazon “Vine” program. They let you choose two books a month for free, send you advance reader copies, and ask you to write reviews for them on Amazon. Free books! Better than winning the lottery!

sdeutsch's avatar

@MissAusten Oooh – lucky you! I wonder how they choose who to invite – I’d read free books any day!

Glad you’re enjoying the book so far. I’ll put it on my Amazon wish list so I remember to buy it when it goes on sale for real… =)

My contractor showed up, only two weeks late. Milo has not been eaten by a fox.

(According to local animal behavior experts, a stealthy and sneaky and sly fox who is hungry enough or who has starving cubs will snatch a cat.)

My mother remembered to both go to lunch and her therapy appointment. She has also relearned how to use a washing machine.

My 5000 daffodils are at the height of perfection today. Tomorrow the decline begins.

I saw “Fado,” a most gorgeous movie and the last of the trilogy of “Flamenco” and “Tango.

I repaired my dishwasher and I balanced my checkbook. My spring pants still button at the waist.

aprilsimnel's avatar

I called my sister in FL. I’m going to see her in 3 weeks. I got the tickets today (and there’s $$ left over)!

My web cam installation went off without a hitch. Now I can Skype away!

sdeutsch's avatar

I bought a purple sharpie pen. My day is complete.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I slept in, got some work done, went to my LAST hebrew class, and bought two pairs of shoes for 33$ that I thought would be 50$.

SuperMouse's avatar

It’s official, this is my favorite fluther question EVER!

MissAusten's avatar

My kids are in bed, and I am about to enjoy the DVD I bought today for only $7.50…the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. sigh I used to have it, but then my husband used our DVD player for a business meeting out of town, didn’t realize the DVD was in there or so he claims and lost it.

Mr. Darcy, here I come! hee hee!

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I finally work up the nerve to text the bartender, and he responded saying he’d wondered what happened to me, so I’m crossing my fingers, hoping he’s interested! (Although, I only have a month before I’m gone on vacation, so we’ll see how things play out.) I also got a really good critique on my photo project! Although my professor did say that all my models had expressions like they were rape victims… Lastly, I went shopping for little items and finally bought myself a flask, nail polish that I gave myself a mani-pedi with, and 1001 Drinking Games!

Oh, and it’s really starting to be SPRING!

KatawaGrey's avatar

I’m in North Carolina finally! My boyfriend and I are attending a world of warcraft tournament (card game, not computer game). It was an 11 hour drive, but we made it!

bythebay's avatar

After almost a month of hospitalization, and a year of scary emergency room visits, my mother had much needed surgery. She had pacemaker & defibrillator installed and came through with flying colors! She’s resting comfortably.

@SuperMouse: This is still a fantastic question!

@bythebay So glad for you! I know it’s been a big ongoing worry.

aprilsimnel's avatar

@bythebay – Quite a year so far, it sounds like! I’m glad to hear everyone is come along in your family.

SuperMouse's avatar

@bythebay I am glad to hear you mom is on the mend!

My sister had some surgery earlier this week and when I spoke to her this morning she sounded more like herself than she has all week! She is finally starting to feel better and that makes me incredibly happy!!

ru2bz46's avatar

My sister made some goat cheese from her new mother’s milk and gave me some. It’s delicious!

casheroo's avatar

It’s been a really, really tiring day…my son has done nothing but scream, whine, kick me…the works. But, we had an okay play date, and when he wasn’t screaming he was having some fun. That was the best part of the day so far :(

augustlan's avatar

Our income tax check showed up in our bank account! I actually have a little money… YES!!

MissAusten's avatar

@casheroo It must be the phase of the moon or something, because all three of my kids were like that today. At least they kick each other, not me. ;)

This afternoon I took advantage of their seeming fascination with coloring to clean the bathrooms. Once I got started, I went a little crazy and scrubbed down the showers, threw the bath mats into the wash, etc. Cleaned every inch of both bathrooms, including all the places the boys seem to hit when they “miss.” All the time, I was thinking how great that the kids were coloring so nicely together. Little did I know, they had swapped crayons for watercolors, gotten big glasses of water out, and were putting the little circles of paint into the water. I left my sparkling clean bathrooms and walked into a disaster in my kitchen. Puddles of greenish black water all over the table, all over the floor, and all over the counter. Kids covered in paint. I couldn’t kill them or beat them, so I started crying. They were so horrified that they cleaned the whole mess up themselves in less than ten minutes. I think I need to cry more often.

sdeutsch's avatar

I took my work outside and sat on the front porch for two hours today – it was wonderful! First 80-degree day we’ve had this year!

DeanV's avatar

It’s friday. That’s good…

arnbev959's avatar

I walked along the beach for hours while high.

aprilsimnel's avatar

I just got home from a concert given by the Chamber Orchestra of New York in a beautiful old Catholic church on the Upper East Side.

My friend S, who I haven’t seen in a while, came to the concert with me and paid for my dinner. Yay! We were able to find great seats, too. My evening out was $7.50 including train fare!

The orchestra played my favorite Mozart symphony, #40, Stravinsky’s Pulcinella Suite and a short program of a composer I’d never heard of named Respighi, but it was lovely. And my ticket was a mere $3.50! I can’t imagine what the swells paid.

After the concert? Free champers for everyone! :D

Trustinglife's avatar

Jon Stewart made me laugh tonight. That’s good enough for today. Here’s the link.

I’m going to enjoy playing with you guys on this thread!

bythebay's avatar

The thing I adore the most about this thread is that everyone has different views on what equates to great, as per the original Q. It’s so fun to see what makes people happy!

Thanks again to @SuperMouse !

casheroo's avatar

i’m starting to feel off. could be wishful thinking though

sdeutsch's avatar

My whole day was great! I got up early and went kite-flying with my hubby (he actually got the kite in the air and took some cool photos). Then we stopped for coffee and donuts on the way home and sat in the sunshine on the front porch for a few hours. Lazed around the house for most of the day, finished the book I was reading, went out do dinner at an excellent Chinese restaurant we’d never been to before, and then sat on the porch and watched the sun set. Perfect day!

SuperMouse's avatar

I slept until after noon, then I spent most of today with my sister and it was fabulous! I also traded my ipod touch for a nano, a shuffle, and some cash. Now I’m lying in bed fluthering. All in all a pretty great day!

jonsblond's avatar

Our daughter had her tap and ballet recital today.It was awesome, mommy tears and all.

casheroo's avatar

@jonsblond she looks so much like you! so pretty

YARNLADY's avatar

@jonsblond awwwwww, so precious.
@sdeutsch thanks for sharing.

YARNLADY's avatar

Here’s what made me happy today

casheroo's avatar

@YARNLADY oh that boy is too cute! how old is he? i know he’s older than my son, because he’s much taller

YARNLADY's avatar

@casheroo He just turned 2 (March 5), but he measures very tall on the scales at the well baby clinic. All my grandsons are very tall.

jonsblond's avatar

@YARNLADY My iPhone won’t download the pic. :( When I get my turn on the laptop (when blondesjon is at work) I’ll take a look.

@casheroo Thanks! She may look like me but her mouth never quits, just like her daddy’s. :)

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@YARNLADY, the link didn’t work for me :(

augustlan's avatar

Such cute little kiddies!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@YARNLADY was a blank page :(

YARNLADY's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu It works for me, and other flutherites have commented on it, so it must be at your end. Do you have a MAC or LINUX that can’t display .wmv windows videos.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@YARNLADY aww well, I’m on my dad’s computer since mine is having major technical difficulties. I’m still trying to figure it out. (They’re both Macs, but his is the newest one.) I will attempt again when my computer decides to cooperate, but from what I hear they’re adorable :)

Trustinglife's avatar

I played in an Ultimate frisbee tournament today. This befuddles me, but last night I got less than 1 hour of sleep. Yes, I know. That’s not very much. But I’m grateful that somehow I was able to function today, and contribute to my Ultimate team. It was a hat tournament, meaning names are drawn from a hat for teams, but I got to play with two of my good friends, which was a great surprise. I’m kind of exhausted, but it was a good day.

TitsMcGhee's avatar

Yesterday/today, I saw Jason Schwartzman, Sigourny Weaver, Ted Danson, and Bill Clinton, I got a lot of work done for my final photo project, went to Coney Island and rode the Wonder Wheel and Cyclone for my friend’s birthday, saw the bartender, made a new friend, got my jewelry back, spent the night with the bartender, and cuddled and talked for almost two hours in the morning. He also referred to a “next time!” Awesome day overall!

ru2bz46's avatar

I got to see a good friend get married today, and I was also honored by getting to queue up the music for the ceremony and reception. She looked beautiful and radiant!

Trustinglife's avatar

I promise all my posts won’t be about Ultimate frisbee. But the highlight of today was trying out for a serious, competitive team. My strength is my speed, and for the tryout, I found another gear of speed within me, and felt good about how I played. Afterward, I was told that they’ll probably want to have me play for them next weekend at a tournament in Oregon. I’m really excited about that – I hope they take me. Either way, I have one more tryout with them, and I’m eager for the opportunity to continue to improve.

KatawaGrey's avatar

My boyfriend is Bobby Victory!

casheroo's avatar

We had such a fantastic time at the park! I went with my husband and son, and it was just a blast. He kept trying to run down the slide, and wanted to play basketball, he’s so fearless!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

Today was my first time back at the daycare in almost 2 full weeks, and I was worried the kids wouldn’t remember me. I walked in the door, and one of them screamed at the top of her lungs: “TALIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!” and ran over to me and attacked me with hugs. I missed them like no other, and had the time of my life going on a walk with them and playing on the playground.

Trustinglife's avatar

My housemate is very, very quiet and independent, and mostly keeps to himself. Tonight he came and talk to me for awhile about something he was really interested in. It was nice to share some interaction with him.

MissAusten's avatar

@sdeutsch I finished the Zafon book, and it was very good. Darker than Shadow of the Wind, but beautifully written!

sdeutsch's avatar

@MissAusten Excellent! It’s on my Amazon wishlist – I can’t wait for it to go on sale!

aprilsimnel's avatar

I was able to get through the first session of my couch to 5k running program! I haven’t run since high school track!

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I had a Victoria’s Secret card that had a secret amount on it, and it turns out it was worth 50.00, so I’m going to buy pretty lingerie! I’m also halfway to having the courage to ask the bartender out, which is the first time I’ll ever properly ask a guy out!

arnbev959's avatar

I walked through the woods for hours while high.

ru2bz46's avatar

I leased my house to new tenants for $200/month more than the vacating tenant is paying! Woohoo!

Trustinglife's avatar

The Ultimate frisbee team I have been trying out for invited me to join them at a tournament this weekend. I’m not on the team, but I couldn’t ask for a better full tryout than this. This will be the most competitive team I’ve ever played on. Can’t wait.

PrancingUrchin's avatar

I was offered an internship for the summer, so I’ll have to withdraw from those silly little summer courses!! I also got my back back from the bicycle shop. She’s ready to ride and very fast. Who says you need to spend $800 to get a good road bike? Not me.

I’m looking forward to having both of my sons home over the weekend. The older one is living in Paris where my first grandson will be born soon, so it is very special to have him home on his own for the last time for a long while.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I turned in my final project and did my final presentation for my Yale class. I am officially done with it.
High school’s starting to end….

jonsblond's avatar

I got a hug from my daughter, just when I needed it most.

essieness's avatar

My dolly mou and I both dreamed about each other last night and exchanged the stories today.

sdeutsch's avatar

I just found out that my best friend is indeed coming to visit in June, and we can go on the road trip we had planned after all. When I talked to her last week, she didn’t think she was going to have the money to fly out from CA, so this is a happy surprise!

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I got 3rd place for high jump at my track meet!

KatawaGrey's avatar

I went with my friend when she was getting her second tattoo and I got an A- on my acting final even though I forgot most of my lines. My professor said she was very impressed that I picked a Shakespeare monologue and that I didn’t stumble over the language.

@KatawaGrey: Which monologue? I thought you were going to write that the VT. graduation was postponed until your cousin passed all his exams. An A- is better.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@gailcalled: Hahaha, if that was the truth, he would never graduate. I suppose what’s good about that is that I’ve gotten such wonderful advice and I will look on the trip as an exercise in extreme absurdity. I did the speech Mercutio gives about Queen Mab from Romeo and Juliet. Mercutio is my favorite Shakespeare character!

@omfgTALIjustIMDu What’s a Yale class?

@KatawaGrey: That was ambitious, I must say.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@gailcalled: Which is why I forgot most of it. It was still fun to read. :)

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@janbb, I live by Yale so I take classes there that my high school doesn’t offer.

sdeutsch's avatar

@KatawaGrey I love the Queen Mab speech! Lurve to you for picking such a tough monologue!

sdeutsch's avatar

I just got an email from my best friend from elementary school – she’s having a baby! We had been out of touch for about 15 years and just reconnected a few months ago – I was touched that, after all that time apart, she wrote to me to tell me the news. It just goes to show, when it comes to choosing good friends, six year olds know how to pick ‘em! ;)

TitsMcGhee's avatar

My day was pretty awful. I listened to Sufjan Stevens for hours, though.

ru2bz46's avatar

Another great day at work. My software that I’m writing will go into production tomorrow thanks to getting a lot of people to do their jobs today. We finished up with a pot luck, and my beaver chili was a success. A friend made a KILLER cheesecake.

I celebrated by doing back-to-back yoga sessions for two and a half hours and sweating out 4 pounds of water. I feel great!

Trustinglife's avatar

Floored by the news that a close friend who has had colon cancer had a major medical setback and may not live through the night. The great thing about it? I feel completely humbled, and grateful for being rocked out of my normal state of mind.

augustlan's avatar

@Trustinglife I’m so sorry to hear that.

bythebay's avatar

@Trustinglife; is this the friend you wrote about on Fluther awhile back? Sending you good thoughts on what’s sure to be a tough day.

@Trustinglife If it is the same friend, I imagine you can feel comforted by the fact that you did go to visit him.

Here’s a hug ( ).

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I’m not doing so well in the good days department. I ran into someone I hooked up with at the beginning of the school year. Oops! It was awkward as awkward could be. I did, however, see a friend who I haven’t seen in awhile and had a chat with her that made me happy. We’ll see how this research paper goes, and then I’ll decide exactly how bad my day has been, haha.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@TitsMcGhee: I hope things look up for you!

I had my last class of the semester today and I am going to see my boyfriend this afternoon!

sdeutsch's avatar

I just discovered that there’s an art supply store less than five blocks from my house. This could be dangerous…

essieness's avatar

I didn’t get the piggy flu… ;]

On a side note, I love this thread.

MissAusten's avatar

I have a nasty cold (which has everyone teasing me about swine flu). That’s not great, but the way my husband came home early yesterday, took care of the kids, made dinner, and got the kids ready for bed was pretty fantastic. This afternoon my inlaws came over to pick the kids up and take them back to their house so I can get some extra rest. I might need to get sick more often!

Trustinglife's avatar

Thanks friends. Yes, this is the friend that has had colon cancer and had been in a coma (only to recover from that). Tom did live through the night, and I’m leaving momentarily for the hospital to say goodbye to him. This is in small print because, um, it’s not something great that’s happened to me today.

ru2bz46's avatar

My software is in production as of this afternoon. Eight clients are already using it, with 23 more lined up. California government is about to start saving a lot of money! Now if only they’d lift the furloughs…

Trustinglife's avatar

Beautiful time spent with my friend in the hospital. Not sure if he will live through the night, but it was wonderful to shed tears with him today. He is well-loved, and I am well-loved as hid friend.

jonsblond's avatar

@Trustinglife You will both remember this moment. You are a good friend!

SuperMouse's avatar

@Trustinglife big hugs.

I lost my cell phone at school this morning. After checking the lost and found I called it, a friend heard it ringing and found it between the cushions of a chair in one of the study lounges! I also got a whopping $34 for selling back my textbooks – lunch is on Supermouse!

@SuperMouse When should we come over?

ru2bz46's avatar

@SuperMouse Can we have grilled bacon & cheese sandwiches?

MissAusten's avatar

I got a book that I’ve been anxiously waiting to read: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies I’m only a few pages in, and already laughing my butt off! I’ll take one of those sanwiches too, please!

casheroo's avatar

@MissAusten I’m glad you like it! I really want to get that for my husband!

@MissAusten You’re reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies? I am shocked, shocked! I tell you. :-)

YARNLADY's avatar

Every day I wake up to my youngest grandson saying “Grandma, wake up” is a great day for me.

aprilsimnel's avatar

I did it! Week One of my 9-week “get running again” program complete! Yay! On to Week Two!

MissAusten's avatar

@casheroo and @janbb It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read, and I am enjoying it completely!!! I am really hoping Mr. Collins gets eaten by a zombie soon!

Trustinglife's avatar

@YARNLADY Could your grandson be any cuter?

I left my friend’s bedside, and I’m heading up to one of my favorite places in the world (Ashland, OR), to do one of my favorite things in the world (Ultimate frisbee). It’s all good, everything feels right.

@MissAusten Can I borrow it when you’re done?

MissAusten's avatar

@janbb You can borrow it when my sister in law is done with it…she asked first!

YARNLADY's avatar

@Trustinglife I have truly had good fortune, all of my sons and grandsons have been a source of joy and inspiration for me. We just got the 8 month ultrasound on the newest one, and he looks cute with three weeks to go before his birth.

@YARNLADY I’ve got a grandson due in about a month – it’s exciting.

essieness's avatar

I got laid. Three times. It was awesome and well deserved ;]

ru2bz46's avatar

I’ll have he’s having (had)

Trustinglife's avatar

My friend passed on today, after I left the hospital. I feel so grateful. He lived such a fulfilled and loving life, and he was loved by so many. We all have an end. His was beautiful.

casheroo's avatar

@Trustinglife my condolences.

Last night, I went to a great party, and took my son along. I was worried people would find it weird that a young child was there, but everyone loved it. He was the only kid, but he did great and was showing off to everyone. I went with a girl I’ve known since elementary school, I’m so glad she’s back from the Army, I really think she’s going to be one of those life-long friends, which for me is a rare find. It’s just hard making close friends as you get older, and it’s refreshing to be able to become so close to someone. I love it.

ru2bz46's avatar

Lurve for you, @Trustinglife, to help ease the pain. I’m glad he had a happy ending.

SuperMouse's avatar

Two of my very favorite people in the entire world are on the mend! Wahoo! Oh and this thread has over 350 responses! That warms my heart!

Big hugs @Trustinglife

augustlan's avatar

Asmonet got the highest grade on her art final I knew she would, and introduced me to the ‘word’ awesomesauce.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I just watched a hawk eat it’s dinner in a tree in my backyard. It was absolutely amazing. My friends are here, and a couple of us went outside and you could hear the bones snapping as the hawk tore apart the flesh. Truly one of the most astounding and beautiful things I have seen/experienced in a long time. I also got 15 shots of it with my telefoto lens, black and white film, 35 mm SLR before it flew off, which I can’t wait to develop on Monday.

@omfgTALIjustIMDu: Tali; Just what was dinner? The natural food chain is a marvel but not when Milo becomes part of it, which is a worry now.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@gailcalled, A squirrel, judging by the bushy tail that’s left dangling on the branch.

@Tali; Well, that’s OK. We have too many squirrels as it is. Did you ID the hawk? Maybe a common red-tailed?

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@gailcalled, I think so. It had blood all over it’s beak, which was striking.

ru2bz46's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu That’s why I hunt with a bow and arrow. It’s kind of like seeing nature at its most basic level, but actually taking part in it. One has to get close enough to the game to really experience it. Most times, I come back empty handed and have to feed myself some other way, but I get to join with nature every time…and that’s awesomesauce!

Would you eat a squirrel or a wild turkey? It sounds as though you would. Turkey bow and arrow season here starts soon, I think. I have seen some males preening in my field.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@ru2bz46, I’m not sure I’d be able to handle killing the animals myself (even with a bow and arrow, though that would make it easier for me), I find it absolutely gorgeous seeing nature at work, even if it means watching a hawk pluck apart the innards of a squirrel and hearing its bones snapping—absolutely amazing. I was speechless.

casheroo's avatar

I made banana bread with my son today, since it was miserably humid out. It was of course a mess, but he had a blast being a big boy and mixing all the ingredients together. And it was pretty good too!

ru2bz46's avatar

I survived my 2-hour “yin” yoga workshop today (those are the deep stretching poses that turn you into a pretzel and are held for several minutes at a time). It wasn’t as painful as I expected, and it made my “vinyasa” class afterward so much easier – it’s a fantastic way to spend several hours on a Saturday afternoon!

@gailcalled Oh, if only I lived in Massachusetts… We have a Spring and Fall turkey season here in California, so I’ll just have to wait for it.

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Bofore I went on my first hunting trip, I helped my bro-in-law with his Barbados lambs to make sure I knew what I was doing and if I could actually do it. We cut the throats (most humane). Knowing how the commercial places operate, I prefer to raise or hunt all my meat, now.

DeanV's avatar

The hole in the roof above what used to be my bed leaked a lot less than usual, in what was actually quite a large rain storm.

And this may be our last large storm for a while.

@ru2bz46 : I am across the line to the west, in NYS. (12165).

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled Well, that puts you a little closer to me… I’ll have to plan a trip. :-)

YARNLADY's avatar

My oldest Grandson (age 22) swerved to miss an exploded tire on the freeway, hit the guard rail and blew the tire on Hubby’s car. The great part is he wasn’t hurt, and AAA is putting the spare tire on, so he can go on over to Sonny’s house. Hubby took our van to meet him and is keeping in touch by cell. My youngest grandson (age 2) is here with me for the weekend, and I heard him talk on the phone for the first time, when we called his Daddy to tell him what was going on. He said “Hi Daddy”.

ru2bz46's avatar

@YARNLADY Your 2-year-old grandson is driving? No wonder he hit a guard rail ;-) It’s good to hear he’s alright.

I discovered Snowball, the cockatoo, who rocks to the Backstreet Boys. Rated PG-13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GVLbWnukXk&feature=related

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

Because of my giant feet, I can never seem to find shoes that fit, but today I went shopping and found these!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@gailcalled Hahahaha, that was awesome! :)

Today, I went to my cousin’s 7th birthday party at a bowling alley. The kids were polite and fun (a happy surprise), and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

TitsMcGhee's avatar

Last night (which was essentially today), I proved to myself that I have good judgment, even when I’m in a drunken haze, by refusing to ride home in a car with a driver that was drunk. He told me he was fine and whatnot, but I hightailed it out of there. I’m pretty poud of my judgment on a night that, on the whole, was beyond terrible.

My sons are both home this weekend – the older one from Paris. We went to one of our favorite parks for a hike this afternoon even though it was an hour away and it was pouring rain. The rain stopped just as we arrived at the park, we did our hike and it started to drizzle just as we drove away to the tea shop for tea and dessert!

It was a very sweet day as it will be the last of just the four of us for a long time. My son is going back to Paris tomorrrow and he will become a father in about three weeks’ time.

jonsblond's avatar

We finally had a sunshiny day after two weeks of non-stop clouds and rain. We were able to take our daughter to the carnival that’s in town and she had a wonderful time. She still has cotton candy stuck in her hair!

augustlan's avatar

@jonsblond We have your rain. :(

I got a lot accomplished today… all week, really. I feel absurdly proud of myself. :D

jonsblond's avatar

@augustlan It’ll go away. I promise!

arnbev959's avatar

I finally talked to this cute nerdy girl who’s always walking her dog around the neighborhood.

ru2bz46's avatar

I’m in a 40-day yoga program right now, which includes daily yoga, special focus each week, special dietary changes each week, etc. The special focus this week is equanimity…

I talked to my tenant who is moving out at the end of this month. Since she had to put a deposit on her new place, she used her rent money for May to pay her new landlord. If I want to boot her and her kids out on the street, it will take me a minimum of a month, so there is no benefit to even try (and I don’t want to do that to the kids). Since she subsists off of government handouts, I cannot even sue for the skipped rent.

Where’s the “great thing” in this story? Well, at the end of my new tenant’s lease (which pays more than the current), I will actually break even on the loss of six weeks’ rent, and I was given the opportunity to practice being equanimous while talking to my tenant. I did very well, indeed.

bythebay's avatar

I got a fun present in the mail! My best friend, who lives much too far away, sent me some adorable flip flops and and a great pair of pj’s. In the box was also a very sweet card. It was so nice to get an unexpected surprise. :)

KatawaGrey's avatar

@petethepothead: Cute nerdy girls are the best! I should know, I am one. :P

I finished shooting for my final media production project. I modeled for a friend’s photography project and helped him come up with some new ideas for the project. My roommate made some delicious cupcakes and shared them with me. I’m watching my favorite sitcom, The Big Bang Theory.

augustlan's avatar

While driving down the highway in the pouring rain today, one of my windshield wipers flew off! It was on the driver’s side, naturally. I put on my flashers and slowed to a crawl, leaning waaaay over into the passenger area so I could see to drive. I had to exit the highway in an unfamiliar town, and find a place that could fix it for me. I found a Firestone auto shop in the next town over. Paid way too much to have both wipers replaced, but hey, I needed to see, right? Found my way back to a highway, which was supposed to lead me back to my original highway… only to find the entrance ramp closed. I had to follow a detour all over hell and back, but finally made it back to my highway.

Good thing #1: I didn’t crash.
Good thing #2: Even with my terrible sense of direction and habit of getting lost, I found my way out.
Good thing #3: I ended up being only 8 minutes late for the appointment I was driving to.

On the way home this evening, I almost ran out of gas. That would have been the perfect end to the perfect day, no?

Good thing #4: I didn’t. :D

KatawaGrey's avatar

@augustlan: I feel you on #2. I have the worst sense of direction and I always get lost, even with good directions. We should never take a road trip without a friend. :)

KatawaGrey's avatar

I turned in my music video for me media production class yesterday. We watched all the projects and everyone loved mine. :)

Milo finally learned how to stalk and eat an ant with no help from me.

essieness's avatar

Well this is a few days late, but I saw Fleetwood Mac in concert (for the 2nd time) on Saturday and it was amazing. I spontaneously cried and danced in the aisle alone through most of the show. The rest of the weekend was spent with my new man whom I’m crazy about and a dear girlfriend whom I’ve known over 10 years and her boyfriend. We visited the Art Car museum in Houston and the Art History museum. I got to see original Picassos and old Roman sculptures. It was awesome.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I’M DONE WITH MY AP CALC EXAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As my teacher said, “what [am I] gonna do with an extra 6 hours a day?!” (Just two more AP exams, then I’m pretty much done with high school).

I also turned 18 today, which is very strange. I’m definitely still 5 at heart.

sdeutsch's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Happy birthday! And don’t worry – you can stay 5 at heart no matter how old you get – I know I have!

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Happy birthdya to you, happy birthday to you….

Enjoy being 18; it only happens once!

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

@tali Happy Birthday!!! Cake time!

My dad finally got an iphone. I think he loves it… :-)

Also, I’m on the board that reviews writtings and either accepts them or rejects them to the literary magazine. I read this HILARIOUS piece about how Joe the Plumber won the 08 election. It was great; it had all these politial jokes in it… I had no idea kids in my school had such creativity.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu: Happy happy birthday! I’m doing a little dance for you!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

Thanks everyone! :)

@Tali; Finally, happy birthday. You seemed to be sixteen forever in my book. May you spend next year in Jerusalem. Oh, wait, you will be.

aprilsimnel's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu – Happy Birthday! And Happy Almost Done with High School!

KatawaGrey's avatar

@aprilsimnel: Oh yeah, that’s a big happy.

ru2bz46's avatar

Happy b-day @omfgTALIjustIMDu! I’ll make you some pancakes! :P

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@KatawaGrey A very big happy!

@ru2bz46, chocolate chip?

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I went to a gallery opening that my professor had a piece in (free wine!), held my ground in an argument in which I was clearly not in the wrong, ate the perfect sandwich (turkey, granny smith apple, brie, lettuce, and honey mustard on 7 grain whole wheat bread!), got frozen yogurt, and finally got my prints scanned in. A few other not so great things kept my day from being wonderful, but there were some redeemable things for sure.

ru2bz46's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Chocolate chip, yum! I’ll even throw in some bananas.

A friend told me about Free Rice, and I got 800 grains of rice donated in my first session.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I finished up my sophomore year of college today!!!!

casheroo's avatar

@KatawaGrey congrats, you’re almost to the finish line :)

DeanV's avatar

I just finished my first final of the year, Chemistry, and got 96% on it.

sdeutsch's avatar

We’re buying a house (hopefully!) We signed the sales agreement last night, home inspector is coming today, and then we just have to wait for the mortgage to get approved.

I’m a little bit in shock – but so excited!!!

aprilsimnel's avatar

I got free career counseling today though a guy in my old therapy group who knows the counselor. I thought I was only going to get one session as a favor to him, but she liked me and was enthusiastic about helping me, so there will be more free sessions! The counselor has a gig at a big corporation and can afford do me a solid! Yay!

essieness's avatar

I love this thread. Just saying.

Trustinglife's avatar

Me too!!! So much positivity.

PrancingUrchin's avatar

@KatawaGrey , congrats. I just finished my first junior year of college yesterday (I’m on the 5-year plan and I’m not opting for the super-senior route, I’ll be a 2nd year junior.)

SuperMouse's avatar

I ended the semester with 993 points out of a possible 1000 in my Rock and Roll, Music of the People class. Not bad for never buying the textbook.

TitsMcGhee's avatar

I booked 18 models for photo shoots on Friday and Saturday, and I’m waiting to hear back from 9 more. This means I should have 36 – 54 or MORE new prints for my final show next Wednesday. I am over the moon!

And I’m getting more frozen yogurt!

augustlan's avatar

I made some delicious blondies from a great recipe. I added toasted walnuts and butterscotch chips to the batter. We had them warm from the oven, with vanilla ice cream. Yum.

YARNLADY's avatar

I found an outdated box of brownie mix in my cupboard and a muffin pan at a yard sale both on the same day (today)so I had my oldest grandson make some brownies.

ru2bz46's avatar

Well, I’m having trouble getting past level 45, but I got 2050 grains of rice donated so far.

essieness's avatar

Today, the guy I’ve been seeing for a month asked me to be his girlfriend. In American terms, that’s not a huge deal. But he’s from Mexico, and the culture is very different. He wanted to make it a special occasion with a big dinner and flowers, but after a talk about not suppressing feelings, he decided tonight was the right time to tell me how he feels about me. So, we are officially together and happier than larks.

Trustinglife's avatar

@ru2bz46 That was great! I couldn’t get past level 44 – that’s an amazing vocabulary you have! I had even more fun on the world map, working on identifying countries. (Look under the subjects page.) Great fun.

YARNLADY's avatar

Fluther was down when I logged in, so I did the laundry, cleaned up the playroom, pulled some weeds, put the dishes in the washing machine, swept the walk, and talked to my neighbor about his son doing some yard work for me. Whew!

jonsblond's avatar

I finished transplanting all of my hibiscus plants. My arms are so sore, but it’s a good sore.

SuperMouse's avatar

My youngest son was part of a Mother’s Day concert at school. It was incredibly cute and he really enjoyed himself!

I passed a mini-mental so I don’t have Alzheimer’s yet! There’s dementia in my family so my forgetfulness has been concerning me. When I spoke to my GP about it at my physical today, he gave me a mini-mental exam and I passed with flying colors. Now, if I could only remember where I put my car keys!

ru2bz46's avatar

My technical writer gave our marketing division the logo that my graphic artist and I worked hard to develop so they could use it in some promotional materials for my software to be distributed at a government trade show next week. They sent back a proof with an entirely different logo that they came up with based on our logo! It was a different shape with different colors, and everything. They complained that it didn’t fit the color scheme they had blindly decided upon before ever seeing the logo or how it is used throughout my software.

My graphic artist is out sick, and I wasn’t about to approve any changes into which she had no input. I fought for two hours until they finally agreed used our logo (they were ready to send it off to press, so they didn’t want to chage what they had done). It’s a small victory, but I believe a very important one.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I officially moved off campus today. Almost all of my stuff is in my car ready to be transported to my apartment. I got an A on my awesome music video why be modest? and life is pretty good.

casheroo's avatar

I’m pretty much done one of my classes this semester. It’s my first A in college. I’m pretty happy with myself. little to some, I guess, but I fucked up in school so much and now that I have a son..my focus is actually directly on the goal of graduating.

augustlan's avatar

I met mcbealer in person! It was very cool. :D

augustlan's avatar

Photographic proof

That’s mcb on the left, and me on the right. :)

essieness's avatar

I got a flower. Yellow because he remembered that I love yellow :)

Trustinglife's avatar

@augustlan Lovely photo of both of you!

I vacuumed my room. It had, um, been awhile.

Trustinglife's avatar

Removed by me, for posting twice. Whoops.

casheroo's avatar

@augustlan how fun!

this thread goes sooo slow for me now! is this the longest thread in fluther history? it sure is the most positive

ru2bz46's avatar

@augustlan You said, “I met mcbealer in person! It was very cool.” I thought mcbealer looked very feminine. ;-)

@augustlan and @mcbealer – How cool to see your smiling faces!

jonsblond's avatar

@casheroo I love how positive this thread is too! Even if I have nothing to add, it puts a smile on my face.

I can’t post a link (iPhone) but I think AstroChuck has the longest thread with the song title game. Elijah has a word game that hit 1000 responses in less than a week. That one was asked a few weeks ago.
Please correct me if I’m wrong jellies! :)

I love this thread too, but it does take forever to load. Does it make any sense to start a “Tell me something great taht happened to you today (2)” thread?

MissAusten's avatar

I was in a canoe race with my three kids, and we didn’t get last place! We also didn’t capsize, need a rescue, drop the oars, or whack anyone with oars!

sdeutsch's avatar

I sat next to a dinosaur and shared a hazelnut hot chocolate with my sweetie while we watched a thunderstorm blow in.

(Not my photo, but that’s the view from where I was sitting – I love Pittsburgh!)

KatawaGrey's avatar

I had dinner with a good friend, held a cute baby (two, in fact), met my friend’s boyfriend for the first time and I’m now hanging out with my mom watching TV.

@sdeutsch: That thunderstorm arrived here around 6:40 PM and generated winds over 65 mph. It picked up a 36” round glass table top and blew it to the deck where it cracked in 3 pieces. I was hoping for a rainbow, but no luck.

ru2bz46's avatar

I went on a 6–7 mile hike with a group of 22 people down to some falls in the river that make a natural water slide. One of my yoga teachers set up the hiking group, and on the uphill journey back from the river, with burning quads, I asked him for a nice upper body workout in class tonight. He agreed and gave an intense lower body workout an hour after we got back from the hike. It was excruciatingly wonderful.

essieness's avatar

@gailcalled Sounds like a crazy storm! Did you get it all picked up without hurting yourself?

Mine isn’t good, but here goes. I’ve been feeling like I’m going to get sick lately I have Addison’s disease, or adrenal insufficiency. Tonight, I had a mini adrenal crisis at work, got all loopy and had to go home early. It sucked. I hate leaving my coworkers in a bind, but I just couldn’t go anymore. I tripled my meds today, but it still didn’t help. I don’t know if I’m just run down from going and doing so much lately or what. Tomorrow is Mother’s Day, which is a huge day in the restaurant business. I’m just hoping to get my strength back before that shift. I’m also hoping I don’t need my hydrocortisone shot. That thing hurts, but it sure makes me feel better.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@essieness: I hope you feel much better tomorrow without your shot! If you don’t, eat lots of ice cream and watch your favorite silly shows.

essieness's avatar

@KatawaGrey That sounds like a great plan!

augustlan's avatar

@essieness Feel better, girly. Take good care of yourself!

essieness's avatar

@augustlan Thank you lady.

ru2bz46's avatar

I forgot to post this one last night, but I got to meet an amazing woman on the hike yesterday. She told this story on the drive up to the trailhead. Years ago, she was training for a half-marathon as she was approaching 40 and didn’t want to waste away.

Well, one day she was driving with her husband and got t-boned by a semi truck on the freeway. Her seat belt snapped from the force, but not before it was able to break the bones underneath it. She was born with only a single lung, which was punctured. Her vehicle was flattened. The first-responders, using the jaws of life, took care of her husband first since she was obviously dead from her mangled appearance.

She spent about a year in the hospital, and when she went home, it was in a wheelchair. She could not walk for seven years. Once she was able to take her first steps, she started living her life again. She would be able to walk from her car to the electric grocery carts to do her shopping, but no more.

Then she saw a sign on a building advertising “Therapuetic Yoga” and she gave it a try. The deep stretches and slow movements and the feeling afterward got her hooked. From there, she tried a new yoga style every six to twelve months to get the benefits from each depending on her need. Today, about eight years from her new first step, she does Bikram Hot Yoga, mostly. She walked a little slower on the downhill part of the hike than the rest of us, but she was one of the first to make it back up to the vehicles.

Her story was very inspiring to me and a testament to the good that yoga can do with the right attitude.

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

@ru2bz46 That’s amazing!

ru2bz46's avatar

@toomuchcoffee911 I still get a tear in my eye when I think of what she went through and the courage it took to fight through the pain during her recovery.

sdeutsch's avatar

@gailcalled The winds were pretty crazy here too, but somehow the actual storm went around us – we hardly got any rain at all! We went out for a walk this morning, and there were tree branches down all over the place – fortunately, we didn’t end up with any broken furniture…

@essieness Hope you’re feeling better today!

@sdeutsch: I have already spent a lot of money to have cracked branches and downed wood removed. I have to remind myself that it is nature’s way of housekeeping the woods and the dead wood. But, oh, my wallet.

@ru2bz46: That is an inspirational story. Yesterday, 6 weeks after strep throat that halted my exercise program, I struggled from 27 to 30 minutes on the treadmill. (The male wild turkeys are showing themselves here in spite of bow and arrow season. )

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

@ru2bz46 Her courage especially.

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled Oh, you evil temptress! ;-)
It’s good to hear that you are back on the treadmill. I hate when I miss a couple days of yoga; I can’t imagine going six weeks (or seven years without walking)

@ru2bz46: I started w. 5 minutes the minute my throat stopped hurting. It took over a month to get to 30 minutes. (I also do lying-down and standing-up yoga.)

essieness's avatar

I’m feeling better today!!

Happy Mother’s Day to all you mommies.

SuperMouse's avatar

Mother Fluther wished me a Happy Mother’s Day!!! I also got a “Happy Mother’s Day” message from some I didn’t expect to hear from that really meant a lot to me.

arnbev959's avatar

@essieness: That’s great!

And I second that. Happy Mothers’s Day!!!!

We bought a beautiful huge charcoal barbecue grill last fall on clearance. We’re going to use it for the first time today. BBQ!!!

ru2bz46's avatar

@gailcalled I had strep once when I was 13. It really wiped me out, too. It was hard to stay down because, well, I was a 13 year old boy. I cannot imagine being that sick again. Hopefully, staying healthy and fit will keep the diseases at bay for another 50 years, or so…

SuperMouse's avatar

I got a book of original poems from my middle son for Mother’s Day. Please allow me to share one of my favorites:

You are an awesome mom,
and you like fluther.com.
You are cheerful,
you are not fearful.
Yes you know I love you mom.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I took my mom to see Star Trek today. I already saw it on Thursday and couldn’t wait for her to see it. She liked it so much she wants to see it again!

Great Mother’s Day! Got a card and outside planter from my husband and went on a hike and out for afternoon tea with him. Had a Skype conversation with son and almost due pregnant daughter-in-law who are in Paris, and a phone call from my second son who is in New York staying with a sick aunt.

Lurve to all!

MissAusten's avatar

I had a lovely Mother’s Day too. My husband let me sleep in, gave me flowers and cards the kids had made, cooked breakfast, cleaned the kitchen, and even swept the floors. We had my in-laws over for lunch, and the husbands cooked on the grill. We spent the afternoon playing with the kids. One of my presents was a toy I’d been wanting for the kids. It’s a ball that you put a water balloon in, set a timer, and pass around. When the timer stops, the balloon pops, and whoever’s holding the ball gets all wet. It was hysterical—my four year old would pass the ball a couple of times and then freak out and run away!

When I was starting to contemplate dinner, my in-laws showed up again with pizza and beer. A whole day with no cooking! Woo hoo! Now the kids are in bed, I’m going to make some martinis, and cuddle up on the couch with my hubby!

Hope you all had a wonderful weekend too!

sdeutsch's avatar

@KatawaGrey I took my mom to see Star Trek today too! I told her I’d take her as her Mother’s Day present, and she’s been excited about it all week! Great movie – I definitely want to see it again.

Also, we made my mom breakfast this morning, since she’s the one who usually cooks big breakfasts for all of us on the weekends. Eggs benedict with avocado and tomato slices and super-creamy hollandaise sauce – yummy!

miasmom's avatar

I had a great Mother’s Day with family…totally relaxing. :)

DeanV's avatar

I got modded.

And I’m more than okay with that.

augustlan's avatar

I had a wonderful Mother’s Day/weekend, too. My 14 year old daughter made all of us Eggs Benedict and 2 packages! of extra-crispy bacon on Saturday. On Sunday, all 3 of the girls gave me homemade cards and presents (which I love!) and we had a cook-out with my in-laws. Blondies and ice cream for desert!

TitsMcGhee's avatar

For my final photo project, I printed all day, ending up with a total of 75 prints (33 from before, 42 finished today, which, if you’ve ever printed from 35mm color film, is a BITCHOFALOT). This means I only have 25 left to do, which, given my speed, shouldn’t be too much of a problem to do by Wednesday.

AND I’M NOT PREGNANT!

ru2bz46's avatar

I went to see my parents this evening for Mother’s Day and put replaced the motor in their swamp cooler (which is on the roof of their two-story house). It was 92 degrees today, so they were both very happy. I was glad I could do the work for them.

arnbev959's avatar

The library is having a book sale, and I’ve been helping set up for it. They have a big dumpster full of books that they’ve rejected for whatever reason. Most of the books in the dumpster are severely scribbled in, or yellowed, or with a broken spine, or completely outdated, or crappy in some other way; but there are some really nice books that end up in there.

Today I brought home three boxes of nice books that would otherwise have been thrown out.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@petethepothead: That’s awesome! I could never bring myself to throw out a book, even a severely damaged one.

I saw Star Trek for the third time yesterday. Yes, it was still awesome. My boyfriend is seeing it for his third time tonight right as I’m typing this, in fact and he seems excited. he’s also been watching a few episodes of various series. He will be a trekkie yet!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I am in the middle of a much-needed heart to heart with my best friend. I love her more than words can describe.

augustlan's avatar

It. Didn’t. Rain. First time in 10 days! I opened every shade and most of the windows and reveled in the sunshine. :)

ru2bz46's avatar

I got my SPE (serum protein electrophoresis) results from the local blood bank, and I passeed, meaning that my protein levels are high enough that I can keep giving blood components each week for this quarter!

This is a big deal to me because I always fail this test and get deferred for two months to let my body regenerate, which takes between 50 and 125 units of plasma out of the pool.

@Augustlan That’s great! As much as we need the rain, it sure is nice to be able to walk in the sunshine once in a while. :-)

YARNLADY's avatar

I went to see the new star trek movie at the IMAX tonight and it was very enjoyable.

La_chica_gomela's avatar

I made chicken marsala for dinner, and for once it was actually ready when I thought it would be, not an hour later, and then Tim liked it so much, he kept closing his eyes and saying “mmm” and “this is so good” after every bite. I was so happy!

SuperMouse's avatar

@augustlan linked the marriage proposal thread to this one! WoW!! That combined with hearing my beautiful boys chatting in the other room, and an early morning call from my man are the best way I can imagine to start a day.

Late to the party yet again. (I gotta not get a life. I was going to say WTF proposed to SCCrowell and was accepted, but I see Augustlan beat me to the punch!

casheroo's avatar

I hope to be able to post something here soon..I’m sad that I haven’t been able to :(

ru2bz46's avatar

@casheroo I think you’re great. Maybe that’s something good?

MissAusten's avatar

Today I watched my five year old catch an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly. It was the first one we’ve seen this year, and he caught it within two minutes. The look of absolute pride and joy on his face was awesome! It was perfect too, with no damage at all to its wings. He can’t wait to add it to his insect collection!

casheroo's avatar

@ru2bz46 aw, well thank you.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I babysat my friend’s adorable daughter today. She was really good for me and even said my name for the first time! I also just got to see my boyfriend and we had some good sex, as we always do. :)

ru2bz46's avatar

I want some good sex…

Trustinglife's avatar

I gave notice at my shared home. That means I’m moving out, something I have wanted to do for a long time. Grateful. And a little nervous, since I don’t yet know what I’m doing next.

essieness's avatar

Disclaimer: I’m a night owl and sleep late, so my post is about yesterday.

Yesterday, I interviewed for a bartender position at my job, then had lunch with my novio. After that, we went to the zoo with some friends and had an amazing time! We watched a boy giraffe drink a girl giraffe’s pee as she was peeing… yeah, creepy then tilt his head back and gargle it, porno style. It was… well… weird and crazy, but definitely hilarious! After the zoo we had dinner at our restaurant where they announced the first new bartender is our good friend! We were so happy for him! There’s one more to be picked out of a 3-way tie interview, so I’m hoping I’m in that group. Then I had friends over for drinks and hot tub night. It was a wonderful day!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I took my last AP exam ever, and it went much better than I thought it would. After, I skipped my oppressive english class to go see my friends perform Midsummer Night’s Dream with an absolutely amazing guy. Now I’m doing laundry and getting ready to spend the whole weekend in the middle of the woods with the same amazing guy and about 10–15 really good friends. Great day, and so excited for this weekend!

augustlan's avatar

I called VerizonWireless and got on a plan that costs $20/month less and still meets my needs. I also found out I can upgrade my phone now instead of waiting ‘till October. I also called my cable company and got them to A) lower my bill by $20/month and B) give me HBO. Now I can watch True Blood again, and for less than I was paying without it!

jonsblond's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu Enjoy the weekend. It’s sounds like so much fun! Typing your username on the iPhone is a bitch! Just sayin’. :)

@augustlan You rock! Wanna talk to my creditors?

essieness's avatar

I worked a “special event” today and made $65 in about 2 hours doing basically nothing. I love my job.

augustlan's avatar

<< Wants essieness’ job.

ru2bz46's avatar

@augustlan You rock! Wanna talk to my mortgage companies?

arnbev959's avatar

I just spent a long time doing math homework that I thought I wouldn’t understand at all.
I was wrong; I kept getting the right answers!

jlm11f's avatar

I graduated college. This is a few days after the event, and I didn’t technically go to the event (I hate long, boring ceremonies) but I just found this thread through @augustlan‘s link!

augustlan's avatar

Way to go PnL!

jonsblond's avatar

@PnL Congrats!

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

@petethepothead I love when that happens!

@PnL, congrats (again)!!

Mazel tov, PnL!

KatawaGrey's avatar

@PnL: That’s great! Maybe you can talk to my mother. I’m graduating in two years and I don’t particularly want to go to my ceremony but my mother is insisting that I go…

casheroo's avatar

@PnL congrats!!!

Yesterday I did something for myself. I took a yoga/pilates class and it was amazing. I’m super sore today, but the meditation really helped.
The day before, we walked Ridley Creek State Park over a mile, my son loved it, he got to see a lot of dogs and throw as many rocks into the water as his heart desired. It was a fun family day.

jlm11f's avatar

@everyone – thank you so much :)
@KatawaGrey – My mother wanted to go too. It was hard work convincing her. Honestly, what really convinced her is that she thought we might end up going on a family vacation during graduation (I hadn’t bothered finding out the actual date of the event, so I told her it was “sometime in May”) and because she knew she would get to see me in another boring, long ceremony later this year anyway – my white coat ceremony.
@casheroo – I have been getting back into yoga myself. I enjoy it but physical activity is so much easier to partake in if you are doing it with other people, especially a group of friends. Good for you!

ru2bz46's avatar

@casheroo Congratulations, and welcome to the world of yoga. I believe you mentioned before you had only done one class, and you work at a studio? I must say, it was a life changing decision for me. The soreness sucks for the first few days, but you’ll learn to crave it.

@PnL That’s great you’re getting back into it. After a year and a half, I can’t imagine not doing it, now.

ru2bz46's avatar

Today is the last day of my three-day fruit fast, and I’m going back on real food tomorrow! It’s tough working out 2.5 hours a day on an average daily intake of 1000 calories.

Also, my software was shown to other government agencies over the past three days at a technology show. Cards and brochures flew of the counter and many people stopped by for a demo. The software is free for them to use as long as they host their web sites with our department, which will initially save the State $1.5 million, and potentially save the State millions more as we get more agencies using it.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@ru2bz46: That sounds as if you’re saving the world! I think that’s very cool. Keep us updated!

I played in a card tournament with my aunt, the woman who taught me how to play Magic, the Gathering. Neither of us did very well, but we did each win cool cards in the raffle. I saw my boyfriend and he qualified for his tournament tomorrow. Last, but by no means least, I’m going to my cousin’s graduation tomorrow and I am not dreading it quite as much as I was initially!

DeanV's avatar

I signed up for some of my college classes today, and got all 3 of my choices. I’m kinda looking forward to next semester, for once.

ru2bz46's avatar

@KatawaGrey I’m just doing my job, but if it helps save California government a few bucks, it’ll sure give me happy feelings. Maybe we won’t get our 10% pay cut increased to 15%. Yeah, right.

augustlan's avatar

I slept for 7 whole hours! << Lifelong insomniac
Of course, that meant I didn’t get up ‘til 2:30 this afternoon, but still!

jonsblond's avatar

The rain finally stopped! We received almost 6 inches of rain yesterday and 2 inches on Wednesday. The forcast is calling for at least 5 days of sunshine so I will finally get to finish planting my vegetables.

For a moment I thought blondesjon would need to build us an ark! Hope it’s not headed your way @augustlan. I know you’ve had a lot of rain this spring too.

augustlan's avatar

It’s a dark and gloomy day today… sure looks like it wants to rain some more. :(

essieness's avatar

I got my Jelly shirt today!! Thanks Mom! And I made a ton of money at work.

ru2bz46's avatar

I got two friends to try yoga today! One of my regular studios is having a contest for the most referrals. Grand prize is a free year of unlimited yoga for me. I’m tied for second place right now.

I also changed my first diaper ever and was their baby’s (7 months) first babysitter while they took the class. He slept on my chest for 60 of the 75 minutes.

aprilsimnel's avatar

I got on the scale this AM (while I’m staying at my sister’s lovely home) and discovered that I’ve lost 4 lbs! Yay! I’ve managed to stick to getting in exercise and eating properly, even though I’m not at home!

casheroo's avatar

My husband got THREE calls today for jobs! We’ve been in a really spot lately, and I hope this leads to some form of a job for him. One would be a sous chef position, and the other as a personal chef training some guy, which would be awesome.
And today, we took our son the children’s museum in Philadelphia, he had a blast and napped for almost 4.5 hours!

essieness's avatar

@casheroo that’s awesome. I’ll be sending happy thoughts your way.

ru2bz46's avatar

@essieness I think she’s already got those. ;-)

Trustinglife's avatar

I haven’t been checking Fluther much lately, but I’m checking this thread. So if there’s any big Fluther highlights – like that frickin amazing marriage proposal! – please post them here (or message me).

Highlight from today: at my men’s group, did some great work in helping me to get clearer about where I want to move next. With the group’s guidance, I stood in different areas of the room that represented possible moves, and felt what I felt. I had been thinking seriously about moving away, but now I’m going to look closely at staying in the bay area.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I spent the night with my wonderful boyfriend. We watched Children of Men which he had never seen. Today I spent some time with a friend I hadn’t seen in a while and I was able to find more pieces for my summer LARPing outfit. I have confirmed with another friend that I am picking her up for LARPing this weekend. :)

aprilsimnel's avatar

The plane landed and I made it home in one piece! My brother-in-law-also cooks a great breakfast. I’ve eaten very well in the last 4 days!

Trustinglife's avatar

@KatawaGrey My goodness, is Children of Men a powerful movie!

SuperMouse's avatar

@Trustinglife your posts always make me smile, I am really glad that you are following this thread. Congrats on the clearer vision of where you are going.

MissAusten's avatar

@KatawaGrey, have you seen the movie “Kinky Boots?” I can’t think of the actor’s name, but he played one of the not-nice guys in “Children of Men,” and in “Kinky Boots” he’s a cross-dresser who inpsires a shoe company that’s about to go out of business to make shoes for drag queens. He’s gorgeous, and it’s a great movie too.

Today I made Magic Peanut Butter Middle cookies, which my children declared are “AWESOME.” I ate two of them myself with my afternoon coffee, and even though they were a pain to make I am madly in love with them. haha kind of like my kids

essieness's avatar

Yesterday was my 28th birthday. We had a group of 16 friends out to a big dinner and then had a huge party. I got a Beatles Zippo as a gift! LOL. I love it. I had a blast hanging out with my friends. Definitely one of the best birthdays I’ve had in a long time.

jonsblond's avatar

@essieness Happy belated Birthday! :D

KatawaGrey's avatar

@essieness: Happy birthday!

@Trustinglife: It certainly is. The sequence where Theo, Key and baby and are leaving the bombed out building and everyone stops and lets them pass is one of the most powerful scenes in any movie.

@MissAusten: I have not, but I have been told that I must.

ru2bz46's avatar

Three more people tried yoga this evening on my referral. That gives me a slight lead in the referral contest. Two of them really liked it and will come back. One is bringing a friend next time.

aprilsimnel's avatar

@essieness – Happy birthday! Yay!

Trustinglife's avatar

@essieness Yay for your birthday! Such a happy time.

Highlight from today? Taking another step forward toward moving… selling my old car. I finally got it smog tested – something I have to do before selling it. Unfortunately, it not only didn’t pass, it was judged a “gross polluter.” Um, that’s bad. Got it to a mechanic immediately, who will have it back to me tomorrow. The great thing that happened? Progress.

@Trustinglife I admire the thoughtful way you are proceeding with changes in your life.

Me? I had my last day of school for the summer yesterday – I’m a librarian and teacher at a community college. WHOOHOO! I will work a few odd shifts during the summer but very rarely. So I am on to my summer routine of long morning walks, workouts at the gym, beaching, reading and doing course prep. (And hopefully losing some winter weight.)

Yay for summer vacation!

ru2bz46's avatar

I cracked a hard nut. I have a friend who doesn’t open up. She has a very good exterior of being strong, beautiful, independent, and well, perfect. She is all of those things, but I felt she was holding something inside. I called her on the strength, and she cracked just a little. I felt horrible at fracturing such a beautiful shell, but I think she’ll be truly stronger for it once healed. I hope I did the right thing.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I am graduating from my supplemental Jewish high school tonight. Another sign that high school is finally starting to end.

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I found the last US state quarter for my collection!

That South Dakota is a wily one.

La_chica_gomela's avatar

I got a bunch of stuff taken care of for a trip I’m going on soon. Yay!!

casheroo's avatar

Watching my sexy husband play with my parents dog and our son, it was soo cute. I couldn’t stop smiling.

YARNLADY's avatar

If you have an aversion to shouting, close your eyes here..***YAY***MY NEWEST GRANDSON WAS BORN THIS MORNING***YAY***. He weighed in at 9 lbs 3 oz, 20 inches long. Mother and son are doing fine, and father is rooming in. Big Brother, 2 year old, is staying with me.

ru2bz46's avatar

Congrats Grandma @YARNLADY! He’s a chubby little guy, isn’t he?

aprilsimnel's avatar

Congratulations, @YARNLADY!

KatawaGrey's avatar

@YARNLADY: That’s wonderful! I hope he stays healthy.

I helped my boyfriend sell a Spectral Tiger loot card for 900 dollars today. We had dinner and just hung out for a while. It was a lot of fun. :)

augustlan's avatar

@YARNLADY Congrats!

@KatawaGrey $900.00?!? That is awesome!

KatawaGrey's avatar

@augustlan: Yeah, the cards are useless. This particular loot card just makes a cool looking mount that doesn’t do anything. The guy was kind of sketchy too. He paid with 9 hundred dollar bills and looked scared as all hell.

ru2bz46's avatar

I wish I had a Spectral Tiger loot card to sell.

augustlan's avatar

Me, too. :(

@YARNLADY Congratulations!

SuperMouse's avatar

Congratulations to you YARNLADY and to the whole family!

@KatawaGrey, $900 is a lot of money, but what exactly is a Spectral Tiger Loot Card and where can I get one?

jonsblond's avatar

@YARNLADY I’m so happy for you! What an exciting time. That’s a big bouncing baby boy!

MissAusten's avatar

@YARNLADY Congratulations! That’s one big boy. ouch

KatawaGrey's avatar

@SuperMouse: It’s something for the World of Warcraft online game. You can get them either by opening one up in a WoW trading card game booster pack (Fires of Outland expansion) or by winning a big tournament. The chances of doing either are pretty slim, except for my boyfriend (who just keeps winning them).

sdeutsch's avatar

I just ate a real, gluten-filled pizza for the first time in 8 months – it was heavenly!

Now I’m just hoping those little enzyme pills did the trick and I don’t get sick tomorrow!

ru2bz46's avatar

I walked into my yoga class today expecting to see the studio owner teaching, but I saw my favorite teacher there as a substitute, instead! She’s been trying to get me to rest during class, and I can’t bring myself to do it (I really like to work hard during class), so she used me to demonstrate a simple, yet fairly grueling pose. Once I was in each variation, she continued to discuss all the intricacies of it until I was ready to drop before letting me rest. Then the other students wanted to see one example or the other again and again. I was exhausted by the end of the demo and still had two hours to go. It was exquisite!

jlm11f's avatar

@YARNLADY – Congratulations :)

Trustinglife's avatar

@ru2bz46 I totally dig your head-over-heels love of yoga.

No particular highlights from today (other than a fun Ultimate frisbee game). But I’ve got a highlight for tomorrow morning: I have a first date! I’ll report back tomorrow.

ru2bz46's avatar

@Trustinglife The more I do it, the more I love it. It’s life-altering! My back and shoulder muscles are on fire this morning, though. But the pain makes me feel alive!

I hope your date went well!

sdeutsch's avatar

We just applied for a mortgage! Fingers crossed, everyone!

Trustinglife's avatar

My date this morning was lovely. She’s a beautiful British woman I was meeting for the first time – a mutual friend connected us. We took a walk through the hills, and stopped for tea and oranges. I really appreciated her candor and her presence. I’m looking forward to seeing her again.

“And she feeds you tea and oranges that come all the way from China.” -Leonard Cohen

@trustinglife That sounds like such a nice date! Good luck with it.

essieness's avatar

@Trustinglife That sounds romantic!

Trustinglife's avatar

@janbb I knew “tea and oranges” had a familiar ring to it!!! I love Leonard Cohen. The tea came from India, so that’s pretty close.

omfgTALIjustIMDu's avatar

I graduated from my Jewish high school last night, and people loved my speech.

Today, I got my summer dream job working in a very prestigious daycare center, doing exactly what I want to do. The director is incredibly nice, and I’m getting paid more than I expected. After I got the job, my mom took my brother and me out for dessert (lithuanian coffee cake, yummm), and we stopped at an art gallery to see the new Picasso exhibit. I spent the afternoon with my grandma: had dinner with her and started a puzzle, then met up with my best friend whom I love more than words can describe and helped her move some stuff in her new apartment (which is 3 buildings down from my grandma’s).

I love life :)

La_chica_gomela's avatar

@omfgTALIjustIMDu: That sounds wonderful!!

As for me, I had to close my checking account and open a new one recently. And today I spent a long time going around in circles and jumping through hoops with my payroll office to get my direct deposit straightened out. They wanted to write per a paper check, but they wouldn’t mail it to me, and the office is 900 miles away!

I just got an unexpected e-mail that they conceded! My money’s going to be deposited next friday! Yay!

Also, I got a new pair of running shoes! So I’m filled with joy!!!

PrancingUrchin's avatar

Ok ok bash me if you wish, but I hit 1000 lurve and am more excited than I thought I’d be. I’ve been here awhile and I’m finally there! W00t. Also, my fantasy baseball team kicked some royal heine (sp?) tonight. Also I just won $50 in a friendly game of poker tonight with the guys. We’re college students so $50 is pretty substantial to us. I’m pumped tonight!

arnbev959's avatar

Last night I got laid. This morning I took a very nice walk, and ended up at the library, where I read about ten essays from The Best American Essays of the Century. I got home about 11:30, and cleaned my room, and showered, and sat outside with my dog. In a few hours I’m leaving for the farm. Hopefully I’ll be able to plant this weekend.

jonsblond's avatar

My daughter and I jumped into our pool for the first time this season. The water is still very cold but the smile on her face was worth it.

ru2bz46's avatar

I went to the grocery store on my lunch break to get some fresh fruits and veggies for home, and they had fresh whole lake trout in the fish department. I can’t wait for dinner!

YARNLADY's avatar

My DIL got a job today, nearly six months after getting laid off. The same company called her back, but the job is 100 miles each way, but she is desparate. I hope she finds an apartment closer.

aprilsimnel's avatar

My career counselor liked the first draft of my 2-minute pitch! We’re adding to it for the second draft, not subtracting anything. I’m supposed to rustle myself up a networking/informational interview with a working producer, or someone in that area of the TV/feature film field soon. Eeek!

Also, my improv teacher asked me to do a round of his next-level classes with him, and I don’t have to pay!

tiffyandthewall's avatar

my mum and i went through old stuff in the shed, and i found a bunch of really cool things that belonged to older relatives, like this really outrageous gold 50s-style bathing suit, some things from germany, and old magazines that honor john lennon after he passed away.

DeanV's avatar

Well, this happened yesterday, but I went and saw the Kinetic Sculpture Race start. It’s probably the best local event around here all year.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@dverhey: Wow! That looks really cool!

DeanV's avatar

It is. I really enjoy it, when it comes along. It also seems to be gaining in popularity elsewhere, but I think ours, in humboldt county is the best (and the original). It just has this certain quirkiness about it that I really like.

There are more photos here and here.

essieness's avatar

I got a new car with a lower payment and better gas mileage!

When I was married, we bought a Dodge Nitro SLT. Super nice, but a hefty payment to go along with it. Since the divorce, I’ve had a hard time making the payments. Well, my mom has been driving a Nissan 350Z and has been needing a bigger car because she does home health. Her payment was even more than mine. She came up with the brilliant plan to trade her 350Z in on a smaller, cheaper car for me to drive, and she’d switch to driving my Nitro and take over the payments. So, we did it! Now she’s happy with Bessie the Nitro, and I got the cutest little Toyota Yaris which gets between 29 and 40 miles per gallon!!

Here are a couple of pictures.

sdeutsch's avatar

I spent the whole day sitting on the couch, listening to the rain, reading Pillars of the Earth. Perfect way to spend a rainy Sunday!

La_chica_gomela's avatar

I had delicious lobster ravioli with big chunks of lobster in it, and shrimp and asparagus on top at one of my favorite places around here: Macaroni Grill!

augustlan's avatar

@La_chica_gomela I love their lobster ravioli! Yummyliciousness. :)

TitsMcGhee's avatar

My friend’s kinda-sorta boyfriend nudged me in the direction of one of his friends at a party two nights ago and we got along really well and hooked up. My friend texted me today to tell me that he keeps mentioning me, and we exchanged numbers, so I have high hopes of hearing from him!

aprilsimnel's avatar

I had a really good turkey BLT today with homemade bread!

essieness's avatar

I had to work. On Memorial Day. BUT my bosses brought all the stuff to make chili dogs and frito pies! It was really slow but we had a blast.

Trustinglife's avatar

I had an amazing Ultimate frisbee tournament today. I play in all kinds of tournaments – usually about once a month. This one was special because it was local, only one day (not two), and I played with a pickup team. That means most of us had never played together before. We had quite a large team (normal is about 18; we had 25+), and I was blown away by how quickly and easily we shared playing time and found a nice flow to our game both on and off the field. Such a fun group of great people. There have been plenty of times where I left a frisbee tournament exhausted and wondering why I love the game and if it’s worth it to put all that effort in. Not today. Today was awesome. A truly satisfying experience.

ru2bz46's avatar

Another great yoga class tonight. Again, my favorite teacher was substituting for the regular teacher. That was good enough, but at the start of class, she challenged us to find a new edge to our practice. It was strange, but at that moment, I felt a surge of power fill my body. I was able to go deeper into every position than ever before, and I got into two positions, I never did previously: bird of paradise without the straight leg at the end, and getting into a headstand from a wide legged standing position without assistance, and with better form than in this video.

jonsblond's avatar

I ran in the rain with my daughter.

ru2bz46's avatar

Oh, and I found out that I won $250 in a raffle!

bythebay's avatar

I caught up, by telephone, with an old friend from college. We haven’t talked in years and it was so great to hear her voice and laughter again. She suffered with some Rx medication addiction but is fully recovered and doing very well. It was so nice to catch up and so fun to recall some great times together! We talked and laughed for 2 hours.

augustlan's avatar

I finally got some semblance of order back in my dining room/office. It’d been a ‘holding’ area for furniture and accessories for a room I was remodeling (the man cave) for at least 6 months. We finally got the room finished and furnished on Saturday, but that left the office a wreck! Now that I’ve recovered from the weekend, I was able to focus on cleaning up the aftermath. I feel like I can breathe again. :)

toomuchcoffee911's avatar

I’m in Washington DC! Today we saw two Smithsonisians and the Arlington national cemetary. Now tonight we’re on a cruise on the Potomic.

jlm11f's avatar

I went to the Capilano Suspension bridge today. The view is absolutely breathtaking. When you get on the other side of the river, they have multiple other pathways such as tree tops adventures which is bridges from tree to tree to get a “squirrel’s eye view” of the forest. Gahhhhhhh I don’t want to leave Vancouver ever. I am in love with this place. VERY pricey though, but absolutely gorgeous. They are in preparations for the Olympics next year so they are very tourist friendly too!

casheroo's avatar

@pnl was the 600 response!

My not even two year old had a speech explosion! I was shucking corn, and counting, he has never counted outloud before, and as I was saying “one…” he’s say “two” I said three, he said four, five…omg! I was so surprised, because he hs always had his own little language, we weren’t concerned because he thought he was talking. Apparently he’s been listening to me and learning when we do the flashcards. I’m so proud of him! He counted up to 10!

SuperMouse's avatar

@casheroo aren’t those language explosions fun! I remember when my oldest went through that – it was amazing! Congrats to you and the little guy, if he is anything like my three, they’ll be no quieting him from now on!

@toomuchcoffee911, I am jealous! I want to see DC, especially after watching the new Night at the Museum!

@PnL, was the trip across the bridge nerve wracking? It looks like it might be! Were you able to look down at all? I think I would have been too nervous!

DeanV's avatar

@PnL: That’s an amazing bridge! But it is pretty freaky. Either way, it’s definitely a must see up there.

jlm11f's avatar

@casheroo – Aww, that’s awesome! That’s such an exciting stage of life as a parent.

@SuperMouse – Honestly, some people were pretty nervous and holding on to the railings tightly. I walked across like it was just another road, but I am not afraid of heights. I was more worried about dropping my camera when I was taking pics of the view. They told us in a tour earlier about the bridge being held by really strong cords and that it could support people lying end to end across the bridge and stacked 7 people high on each person lying on the bridge (did that make sense?). Point being I was pretty confident it won’t die under my weight haha. It does shake, but that just adds to the fun, but it doesn’t creak or anything that would make you feel suspicious. Here’s a pic I took that shows the length of the bridge well.

@dverhey – Agreed, definitely one of my favorite tourist attractions. Nature at its best.

augustlan's avatar

There is no way in hell I’d be able to cross that bridge. Not. Going. To. Happen. It looks beautiful, though!

Trustinglife's avatar

@PnL Nice pic! And how wonderful to have no fear of heights!

Today I got to visit all afternoon with an old friend of mine from high school. I got to meet and play with her one-year-old son, too, which was really fun. And in the process I got clear that I probably won’t be moving to SF. Among other things, way too cold and foggy for me. That’s great – any clarity I can get these days about my next steps is very welcome. (I’m moving out of my current home on June 30, and I look forward to having an inkling of where I’m going!)

DeanV's avatar

I finished the last of my finals today and had one of the most interesting, yet also disturbing times on the bus, which I could probably explain here, but will not unless somebody asks.

But either way, I get out of school tomorrow. I’ll enjoy not being a freshman, i think.

SuperMouse's avatar

Um, @dverhey it sounds as though your bus story might be kind of interesting – do tell.

My boys are beside themselves excited because tomorrow is the last day of school. It is really fun to see them so incredibly happy about summer! We plan on lots of trips to the pool, catching fireflies, and playing outside until past 10:00. Summertime!

@TrustingLife, if San Francisco is out, what places are still in the running?

DeanV's avatar

Alright.

Well, I looked across the aisle at my friend, who was staring out the window with a blank look on her face, so of course I look out and see 2 male hobo’s in the bushes who at first appear to be just lying next to each other. But upon further inspection, I saw that one was giving the other a blowjob. My first thought was “Oh god, they must be lonely”.

So of course we spent the next 5 minutes trying to convince the people sitting on the other side that it really was real. They finally decided it was just too ridiculous to make up.

And for high school freshman, I think we handled it pretty well. Minimal sexual puns.

DeanV's avatar

My lurve just hit 1994, the year I was born.

Now go ahead, ruin it!

jonsblond's avatar

I think everyone has maxed out on this thread. Ain’t gonna happen.

only time I’ll use the word ain’t :)

DeanV's avatar

Hey, not a problem. I just enjoy threads like this. I’m not here for the lurve.

arnbev959's avatar

I got a pickup truck!

jonsblond's avatar

@dverhey Going to lurve you anyway. :)

ru2bz46's avatar

Over the last 40 days, I’ve been doing a special program at one of the yoga studios I attend. It involved a special weekly dietary change, a weekly lifestyle alteration/focus, daily yoga classes (I’ve been doing two per day on average), and writing in a journal to answer questions.

Now, the results: I lowered my total cholesterol by 53 points, lowered my HDL (good cholesterol) by 10 points (oops, but still at a good level), lowered my LDL (bad cholesterol) by 44 points, while my triglycerides remained unchanged at the very low end of the scale! I also lost 13 pounds and cut 2 inches off my waist!

Over three years (since I started paying attention to my health), Total is down by 76 points, HDL up by 14 points, LDL down by 62 points, and triglycerides down by a whopping 144 points! I dropped a total of 49 pounds (1/4 of my body weight) and 5 inches off my waist! All of this has been through diet and exercise alone.

I’ve never been as healthy nor had more energy in my life! Woohooooo!!!

augustlan's avatar

@ru2bz46 That’s great! I’m totally jealous. :)

ru2bz46's avatar

@augustlan Please don’t be jealous. Be inspired, instead. :-)

YARNLADY's avatar

I came home from the hairdresser today with a nice looking haircut (I’m still getting used to my ‘look’) and discovered my grandson had mowed and edged the lawn, and swept all the walks and the courtyard.

ru2bz46's avatar

I just got back from a hike with a smaller group than last time (only eleven of us). It was a difficult hike, which climbed from 6000 to 8000 feet in about 1.5 miles. The last mile took an hour and a half and had us climbing over many boulders to get to the peak. Once there, we were treated to enchanting views and awesome waterfalls on the snow-capped peak. We took turns taking pictures of each other in various inverted yoga positions on the tops of ten-foot boulders.

We had to rush back since one of the guys had to teach a yoga class, and I had to take the practice. ;-) I didn’t have time to even get to my car at the meet-up point, so I borrowed a mat from the studio and did the practice in my hiking clothes, sans boots.

After that, I met a couple friends for gourmet Chicago-style pizza, then rich chocolate desserts in celebration of my recent weight and cholesterol loss.

The scapes and bruises of the day were a fair price to pay for an entire day of joy shared with many new and old friends.

La_chica_gomela's avatar

I got to see my dad for the first time in a long time!

Trustinglife's avatar

Not the best day of my life… but tonight I just got inspired about tagging my friends’ photos on Facebook after our great Ultimate frisbee tournament on Monday. That was really fun, and I’m still having fun sharing it with you. Here is my favorite photo of me from the tourney, and here is our team photo at the end of the day. (You may need to have a Facebook account to be able to see these – I’m not sure.) And while I’m at it, here are some other pics of me playing Ultimate. Vain, huh? Pic 1, Pic 2, and Pic 3.

augustlan's avatar

@Trustinglife Adam, I have a Facebook account, but I still can’t see your pics. :(

aprilsimnel's avatar

@Trustinglife – Me neither. Do we friend you?

KatawaGrey's avatar

@Trustinglife: If you right click the picture and hit “view image” you can link from there and everyone can see it.

I’ve had a wonderful few days. I saw Star Trek (for the 4th time) with a friend on Thursday. Then my boyfriend and I went to drafting and, while we did not kick ass, we had a good time. WE played his Wii at my apartment and I managed to collect 3 of the stars in Mario Galaxy by myself! Then we spent all of Friday and a good chunk of Saturday together which is always nice. :) Oh, I almost forgot, he took me to this place where we had a lovely walk and saw a myriad of farm animals, including a duck who thought he was a guinea hen and who was afraid to walk on asphalt.

YARNLADY's avatar

@Trustinglife I don’t have a facebook account at all, and all I get from the links is “content not found.”

Trustinglife's avatar

Thanks for the feedback, y’all!

I’m going to try out KatawaGrey’s advice. When I hit “view image,” it does give me a link. So here we go. Let’s try this… here’s the photo of me from last week’s tournament, our team photo, and then three other Ultimate photos of me, just for the heck of it. 1, 2, 3. Let me know if that works. And if it does, big props to Katawa (and lurve)!

augustlan's avatar

I found a bunch of old friends on Facebook, which I joined only to see @Trustinglife‘s pictures.

aprilsimnel's avatar

@Trustinglife – Cool! Ultimate frisbee looks like it really gets you moving!

My dojo (which is part of a non-profit organization) is having a “punch-a-thon” next week at Prospect Park, where my classmates and I will all do 1000 punches to raise money. For practice, we did some punching and advancing moves yesterday. 720 to be exact. And I completed them all! My form was on, and everything. Yay!

augustlan's avatar

<< Reminds self to never get on @aprilsimnel‘s bad side.

ru2bz46's avatar

<< Thinking that fists and beavers are a bad combination.

YARNLADY's avatar

***YAY*** It worked. Thanks for sharing.

Trustinglife's avatar

I’m delighted that a few of you got to see those pictures. Can you tell I’m kinda passionate about Ultimate frisbee?

If you want to see how Ultimate Frisbee works, I found a couple great YouTube clips if you have the time. Here is a great 6-minute clip that explains the basics of the game. And if you want to see the game played at the highest level, at its most intense, check out this 4-minute highlight reel.

Personally, I played about 5 hours today (two different practices) with a new team as I prepare to play a tournament with them next weekend. Great group of people.

Trustinglife (6574points )