General Question

jabag11's avatar

How can I play this VHS tape?

Asked by jabag11 (676points) December 20th, 2010

I have a VHS-C tape – panasonic/SHG and I NEED to play it somehow – as soon as humanly possible, but I do not have any cam corder that plays is. The only option i have right now is to take it to this place where they transfer it to a DVD but that will take 3 to 4 weeks! Another option I have is buying a used cam corder that plays this off of craigslist or something but I’m not about to buy a used cam corder just to play this ONE tape.

I also thought of going to electronic stores just to play it over there but they don’t sell camcorders that old any more because people stopped making them.

Does any one have any ideas whatsoever of how I can get this tape played!! All inpiuts greatly appreciated!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

Jeruba's avatar

We have a DVD player that also plays VHS tapes. We bought it only about a year ago because we still have some old movies on VHS. Maybe one of your friends has something similar.

lillycoyote's avatar

You might try something like this VHS-C adapter.. I’ve never used one and reading some of the reviews it sounds like the VHS-C adapters are a little fussy but if you’re only going to use it once or a few times it might be worth a try. The one in the link is around 23$.

Seelix's avatar

What about your public library? I don’t know how well-equipped yours it, but it might be worth a phone call.

lillycoyote's avatar

Also check on eBay. I was just looking over there and VHS-C camcorders can be had for as little as 99 cents. Now that’s a bargain!

gondwanalon's avatar

You can likely get an old used VHS VCR player/recorder cheap at a Goodwill or other second hand store. Then when you finished with the player donate it back to Goodwill and get a tax write-off or try to recover a few bucks by selling it on Craig’s List.

Blueroses's avatar

Check pawn shops too. I picked up a working VCR for $11.

Judi's avatar

A university AV department could probably help you if you know any students.

jabag11's avatar

thanks every one! but I ‘m not lookking for a VCR player, i said a VSH-C tape that needs to be played. which are much smaller, some of you got it though. thanks again!

Blueroses's avatar

Oh, duh. My bad for not reading. You need one of these adapters
I’ve seen them at Radio Shack for under 10 bucks.

mrrich724's avatar

Find another place to transfer to dvd. The process does NOT warrant a 3–4 week turn around. Even if you have to ship the cassette out, you can get same day service SOMEWHERE.

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

What kind of tape is this? Is it one of those little VHS tapes that fit in the old style movie cameras? If so, I have an adapter. :) Don’t know how I could get it to you, though.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther