General Question

Curious404's avatar

Can I file my 2007 taxes if I don't have my 2006 tax return information?

Asked by Curious404 (1021points) April 12th, 2008

I lost the paperwork from the previous years I have filed. I do not speak with the person that filed my taxes for the previous years to request this information.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

3 Answers

Cardinal's avatar

Yep. Not only can you, you have to!

LunaFemme's avatar

yes. You don’t necessarily need the info from prior years for the current year. You can always request copies of your past returns from the IRS if you do need the info. Be sure to either file your return or for an extension by Tuesday.

Also, it’s fairly easy to amend a return if you need to.

srmorgan's avatar

Good advice so far. The other thing to consider would be if you itemized in 2006 and received a state income tax refund for your state 2006 return then that refund has to be shown on your 2007 as income. If you took the standard deduction in 2006, then this does not apply.


Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther