General Question

tigerlilly2's avatar

Should I file my taxes online or see a tax consultant?

Asked by tigerlilly2 (1250points) January 25th, 2012

I have always filed my taxes online with H & R Block. This year I am considering seeing a tax consultant because I have heard that you can get a larger refund that way. I have also been told that I will be charged more to see a consultant than if I filed online, but the difference in my refund would be worth it. Does anyone have any personal experience/advice on this? Thanks!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

12 Answers

Skaggfacemutt's avatar

I love TurboTax. I did my own taxes for many years, then I had HR Block do it for a few. Unless your taxes are really complicated, TurboTax is the cheapest, easiest way to do your taxes.

Neizvestnaya's avatar

Do you have things to itemize? Over the years, I’ve found the IRS finds more money to send back to me no matter who’s prepared my taxes, even when it’s been a straight 1040. Yes, it was surprising. In recent years the IRS has referred me to AARP volunteers who have done a great job and no fee other than what I choose to put in the preparer’s tip jar.

john65pennington's avatar

TurboTax all the way. I have used it the last four years. Withl their help, last year, I received a refund of over $8.000.00 dollars.

I plan on using it online.

marinelife's avatar

Whether you need a tax consultant is a function of the complexity of your return, Do you have depreciation, home office expenses, rental properties or other complexities? If you do, it might make a difference. If you are just an employee with withholding, I doubt that it would increase your refund.

SpatzieLover's avatar

I third TurboTax. One, it’s fast. Two, it walks you through, asks you pertinent questions and assists you to get the highest return you can.

We do use a tax consultant for business taxes, but never for our personal taxes unless there has been a large change (death-etc).

WestRiverrat's avatar

The primary benefit to having a tax consultant do your taxes is to have that extra layer of protection between you and an audit. For most people TurboTax is enough.

Esedess's avatar

I’ve used both in methods in my life. Going to a tax consultant was only worth it when I was an independent contractor working for myself. If you have a job where you can/do keep track of deductions for yourself (i.e. gas/meals/other business expenses), more than 1 real estate property, or the like, then taxes can be complicated and I would go to a CPA. If you’re just working a regular 9–5ish job, and filing an EZ-1040 form, there’s no need. H&R Block gets you what you should for the most part.

redhen4's avatar

Can you itemize with Turbo Tax? I have lots of medical expenses that get itemized, and sometimes I have retirement (401k, etc) that needs to be claimed. Can this be done on Turbo Tax and is it easy?

SpatzieLover's avatar

Yes @redhen4 it’s easy to do with TurboTax.

bkcunningham's avatar

Check the price of a CPA doing your taxes. You may be surprised that it will cost about the same or less than Turbo Tax.

tigerlilly2's avatar

I went in to H and R Block and they were extremely helpful! My husband and myself were only charged $150.00 and I was pleased with our refund. Thank you all for your answers!

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther