General Question

flash74686's avatar

What period is this dress styled after?

Asked by flash74686 (478points) January 28th, 2012

So I found this gorgeous evening gown ( and it looks like a vintage/retro style to me, but I don’t know what period of time it resembles. . . Can you think of what it might be? Or maybe I’m just imaging it. . .

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

6 Answers

jazmina88's avatar

It has hints of classic Hollywood, but the rouching is now. I believe the sleeveless is also a new trend. Very nice.

trailsillustrated's avatar

it’s a late 1940’s glamour gown. love it

Bellatrix's avatar

I would say 1930s/1940s. Do a Google image search for 1930s or 1940s evening gowns.

Similar 1930s dress

DaphneT's avatar

Gorgeous gown. Very much like the 1940’s and 1950’s glamour gowns. A search on 1930’s fashion turned up this information about bias-cut evening wear. So the concept of the sweeping form-fitting gown really took hold in the late 1920’s, early 30’s, and took a hiatus during the lean years, and really surged back in the late 40’s and early 50’s when everyone was recovering from the privations of war.

Sunny2's avatar

It’s 1930’s and classic gorgeous! It will never go out of style. I’m having fun imagining the possible colors. They didn’t have the dye possibilities in the 30’s that they have now.

janbb's avatar

I’m getting 30s-40s too. Love it.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther