General Question

mirifique's avatar

How can I insure my belongings for an out-of-state move when I don't know my new permanent address?

Asked by mirifique (1537points) March 5th, 2012

Moving from CA to WA. I don’t know where my new address is as I’ll be staying at a hostel until I can find an apartment. My stuff is being moved by U-Pack directly into a storage facility in Seattle. What’s the best way to insure my stuff during the move? My renter’s policy only covers stuff while it’s in my current address, then when I move that policy voids, and they won’t cover stuff in storage or while I’m in a hostel, etc. Perhaps a separate shipping/freight insurance policy? Any help would be appreciated here. Thank you!

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

5 Answers

john65pennington's avatar

Nationwide is on your side. Give them a call and see what they have to offer.

mirifique's avatar

@john65pennington You still need a permanent address to cover the goods.

SpatzieLover's avatar

There are insurance companies that sell policies for moving and storing posessions. You need to contact an agent. Google “Moving Storage Insurance” and you will see a long list of companies.

No. You do not need a residential address to insure your belongings. You will need the address of the U-Pack your stuff will be stored in.

YARNLADY's avatar

Buy movers insurance.

Seaofclouds's avatar

I’d look into other renter’s policies as well while you are looking at thing. Our renter’s insurance covers us during a move as well and then immediately picks up at our new address once we are there.

Good luck!

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther