01101101's avatar

Can somebody please explain Trump to me?

Asked by 01101101 (252points) July 22nd, 2016

Hi, I’m not American and I don’t live in America. I’ve been seeing Trump around the news and other media for so long. I’ve also seen some of his talks and I’ve observed he’s somehow ignorant… and so stupid… (I’m sorry) but so many people vote for him and I think he’s winning. Just watching him talk about nonsense makes me cringe and worry about America. Why would people vote for him? I don’t understand. Please explain him to me.

Response moderated (Writing Standards)
stanleybmanly's avatar

I’m afraid no explanation will suffice. And this being the case, you are fully justified in your fear for America.

@RedDeerGuy1 A lot of us Americans don’t understand either. haha
He is a farcical presidential character and blatantly unqualified and that’s erring on the side of diplomacy. I have no idea how people are buying this buffoons buffoonery, but they are, in droves, like Wildebeast stampeding over a cliff. It defies all explanation.

YARNLADY's avatar

He speaks to ignorant people’s worst fears and says he can cure everything that causes our problems. His followers want desperately to believe what he says is true. It’s like wanting to believe in magic.

I heard one follower say she doesn’t care if he lies, because it’s a well known fact that ALL politicians lie.

chinchin31's avatar

He is a loser. The only people that will vote for him are rednecks. There is no guarantee he will win anything. No one really knew Obama till towards the end of the election campain, he came out of nowhere.

Trump is a loud mouth idiot feeding on the insecurities of rednecks in America. Those same rednecks he will crush because he will seek to just make life easier for the rich. Which billionaire politician is going to take from the rich and give to the poor ?? Please.

He is also a hypocrite. He hates immigrants but yet his current and past wives were immigrants. Was not his first wife a 1st generation russian immigrant and now his second wife from Slovenia. Also the last time I studied history, everyone in present day America is descended from an immigrant. Wasn’t America built by immigrants from poor Europe ? Weren’t the origninal inhabitants Indians. Whatever !!. Why is it that all of a sudden because your family has arrived and are settled, immigration should stop. He is a rude egotistical freak.

If he wins it will be the beginning of the end of the America. He doesn’t realise he is fueling hatred of Americans by simply opening his mouth. Only in America someone like that would be allowed to speak on national television and run for president. Because in America everything is about money. If you want to run for president you have to have money because campaigning costs millions of dollars. Unfortunately because of this , many people that are really capable of running America will never make it to the White House.

Can you not see how much this world is changing? The UK is falling apart and very soon it will be America because these countries are being run by idiots. Great Empires never last forever. Rome was one back in the days of Jesus and it crashed.

I am just watching.

The crazy fanatical terrorists are watching too. Trump is bad for America. He is attracting terrorists. The fact that he actually got the Republican votes shows you how sad America is as a country.

imrainmaker's avatar

You have hit bull’s eye..no more explanation needed..)

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

He is running against Hillary and not Sanders, he was too spiritual for the masses.

@Hypocrisy_Central Trump is too spiritual? Really? The guy is a bafoon and he has no religious background.

DrasticDreamer's avatar

He’s a narcissistic sociopath who thinks he knows all of the answers better than any American before him. Secretly, he probably thinks he’s the second coming of Jesus. No telling what will go wrong if he’s our next president and everyone should be worried.

How many times he proclaimed last night during his speech, randomly, that there would be law and order (without saying how) had me genuinely freaked out. He’d just throw it into his speech at various points, vehemently. Our police are already becoming militarized, so it makes me wonder what he would provide them with. It reminded me of other dictator speeches I’ve listened to where the speakers go out of their way to convince the audience that being ruled by an iron fist is the best thing for them.

I’ve been saying this entire time that I can’t and won’t vote for Clinton, but I’m starting to wobble a little.

Pachy's avatar

Huffington Post, an liberal online news service, puts the following disclaimer on every one of their Trump articles. And I could not describe him better.

Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims ― 1.6 billion members of an entire religion ― from entering the U.S.

He is clueless and his supporters seem to hope his redneck plan to build a multi-billion dollar wall will return the USA to 1850’s !

Oh he has a habit of making up answers 95% of the time, some people call it it lying.

YARNLADY's avatar

“Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims ― 1.6 billion members of an entire religion ― from entering the U.S.”

@DrasticDreamer Please, please, please vote for Clinton. She is the most experienced, qualified person for the job. Consider what she has been through, participating or present at an unknowable number of government events, a mother and grandmother, withstanding being married to a womanizer. She is very intelligent, and deeply cares about the nation.

Much of the opposition statements about her have been proven untrue or misleading.

Pachy's avatar

Sadly, @chinchin31, Trump’s appeal reaches not only rednecks and ignorant people. That’s way too much of a simplification.

One of my oldest and dearest friends—we grew up together—- is a well educated, highly successful accountant who shares most of my liberal views but is voting for Trump because he hates Clinton so. I’ve chosen not to debate him. I don’t want to risk losing a lifelong friend and contact with his lovely, well educated family.

This is a recital, verbatim, from an email I received this morning from someone I know.

Watched the Trump speech at the convention last night. It was amazing!
I really like him and he isn’t going to put up with any politics and he respects the constitution.
I think he will be a good, hardworking President that will represent the people.”

“He is also really focusing on lower income families. I was so impressed. He showed the softer side of himself too, he is funny and a normal guy. Watch his speech on youtube, it gave me goosebumps.”

Yep, your email gave me goosebumps too. lol
I have not replied, and I won’t be. I am surrounded by this insanity, but that’s okay, I just smile and nod and keep my mouth shut.

YARNLADY's avatar

@Coloma OOOOOO, that’s scary.

@YARNLADY

Yes, I know. :-(

gondwanalon's avatar

I think that Trump’s popularity is due in part by the fact that so many people dislike Hillary Clinton.

Perhaps people think like me that the U.S.A. is screwed no matter who is elected President. And I’ve had ENOUGH of Hillary Clinton.

SmartAZ's avatar

Americans have always elected the sleaziest candidate they could find. It’s a very close race this time.

Zaku's avatar

No need to apologize. Trump definitely appears to be ignorant and stupid… or at least, the role he plays seems that way. He is an actor, though. As Ronald Reagan established and others since have made ever more clear, the role of President of the United States is often largely one of a political performer who just has to read speeches and pretend to be our president.

In Trump’s case, he has not even been in politics before.

The popular television news media in the United States has been bought by essentially the same large media corporation, which is essentially owned by the same corporate groups that lobby and control large parts of our government. This television media offers entertaining and distracting stories to keep the people distracted and entertained and to sell them products and shape their opinions, and to distract them as a whole from paying attention to how the media and the government is basically controlled by the very wealthy, for the very wealthy.

Trump is interesting because we don’t really know exactly who he is or what he’s doing or why in this campaign of his, but it is different from others in that he, without any political or government experience, and without regard for offending many people, or even for not contradicting himself and frequently not making much sense, has defeated all of the Republican Party’s actual politician candidates (even though they were also all pretty awful in a variety of ways, too). Trump wasn’t even really particularly a Republican before running, but by being entertaining and shocking and headstrong and by appealing to voters’ anger about various issues and their dissatisfaction with establishment candidates, has become the Republican Party nominee.

Now, due to our embarrassingly-bad two-party-dominated binary voting system, that’s significant because there is so much conventional agreement that only a Democrat or a Republican can win the presidential election, even though there are more independent voters than belong to either party.

Many people in the USA either don’t pay a lot of real attention to politics, and/or get much of their information from the corporate media (which is mainly entertainment and misleading information). So… well, that’s an attempt to give something of a picture of what generally is not said by the media. Hopefully it makes a little more sense now.

msh's avatar

I still hold with The Donald does Not want to be President. He would get a UUUGE rush out of winning, however -Impeachment proceedings would begin as soon as he says : “I Will.”
He says and does outrageous things to see how far he can push it- and make the GOP Leader’s eyes roll back in their heads. He will not follow gov laws and duties- and has said so! He’s having a ball screwing with all. Republicans too!
He did successfully get the scary-assed masses of separatists, fringe radicals, survivalists and Sasquatch hunters registered to vote- which will now aid Homeland Security.
But honestly- Do not try to understand Trump’s pendulum platform. No. Don’t bother. Wasted energy.
However, his V-P choice : Mike Pence is who would step up into the office of President upon Trump’s exit. Talk about one scary-assed far right zealot! This man is a one- man political hot mess for the US. THAT is the snake to watch.
Oh, yeah- guess who would step up to be Armageddon’s Spawn as the monkey-move-up’s VP would be? ( but Only on weekdays 9–5, nor any weekends- he doesn’t ‘do’ weekends away from the homestead!) Why Speaker of the House- Paul Ryan!
Alka Seltzer, please.
Eee-gods!
Unfortunately, 01101101, everything and everyone is up in the air as far as this whole new system of campaigning for the offices of President and Vice- President. The circus this election has become is one for the history books. I think you are stuck with the rest of us…we have no earthly idea of what or whom the future brings into US politics. We, however are wearing our seatbelts!
Stay tuned!

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

@chyna Trump is too spiritual? Really?
I was speaking of Sanders.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Flame-Bait)
Response moderated
Response moderated
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)

@RocketGuy The several major Trump supporters I know are all well off republicans that drive Audis and Mercedes and also are militant right to bear arms types. One is in IT and makes well over 150k a year and the other has several businesses and a scholarly husband that studies abroad part of the year. All have at least BA degrees and are, on the surface, quite intelligent appearing. haha

RocketGuy's avatar

@Coloma – maybe they can’t stand the thought of a woman in charge.

@RocketGuy I have read that the one, biggest thing, Trump supporters have in common is an authoritarian personality style. They want a big, bad, daddy figure to take charge and believe Trumps wolfish huffing and puffing is the answer. Just wait til daddy Trump gets home!

ibstubro's avatar

I can, finally, explain Donald Trump to you. I had a revelation during my morning shower.

You know how, when you have the TV on, the attention of everything in the room is drawn to the commercials?
Babies, cats, dogs…even birds?
To those bright, snappy, simple bits of mindless entertainment promoting a product?

Consider life a mind-numbing documentary on the History Channel and Donald Trump saying he can do it.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

[Update] Trump is POTUS, that is it, and that is all. There is not much more to explain now.

YUP and somewhere about 160,000 will be dead at the end of his first term from getting rid of ACA.

Pollution will run rampant, and UN-TAXED corporate profit will be paid out to the CEO and officers of the company and only to them.