General Question

LostInParadise's avatar

What name is given to the bottom of one's head between the chin and neck?

Asked by LostInParadise (25330points) 2 weeks ago

As I have gotten older, it has become a difficult area to shave. I would at least like to know what it is called so I can complain about it.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

20 Answers

janbb's avatar

I would call that all the chin, as in “double chin.”

rebbel's avatar


flo's avatar

Is there anything between the bottom of the chin and the neck. Even if there is a double chin it’s still the chin. The end of the chin and the beginning of the neck same thing.

janbb's avatar

^^ That’s what I was saying. I agree with you.

flo's avatar

That reminds me to post an OP French related.

JLeslie's avatar

Interesting. I would say under my chin, or my husband would say my papada, which means double chin (and I’m annoyed at him for saying it lol) but there isn’t actually a word that I know of for that part of the body. I’ll be following.

chyna's avatar


LostInParadise's avatar

I like your thinking.

janbb's avatar

How about chinny chin chin?

Jeruba's avatar

I would describe that area as “beneath my chin,” thinking of my chin as the bottom center of the jawbone.

My art teacher refers to it as the throatlatch. She uses the term when guiding us on shading and especially on that tricky bit of reflection that appears beneath the chin from whatever the model is wearing. Apparently it’s an equestrian term, which makes sense because she keeps horses.

YARNLADY's avatar

The sub-maxillary triangle

Brian1946's avatar

For simplicity’s sake, I’d call it the submandibular area or the submandibular triangle.

LostInParadise's avatar

A bit of a mouthful in either case, but it will have to do. Thanks Brian and YL.

KNOWITALL's avatar

@chyna‘s right, its a wattle.

LostInParadise's avatar

Wattle only refers to a fleshy attachment to the area. My beard stubble would not count.

mazingerz88's avatar

That spot connects the chin and the neck, henceforth it shall be known as the “chinexion.”

Brian1946's avatar

I have a beard on my wattle and stubble on my waffle. ;-o

flo's avatar

Here’s the link.
“submandibular triangle”

“The triangular region of the neck, bounded by the inferior border of the mandible, the stylohyoid muscle and the posterior belly of the digastric muscle, and the anterior belly of the digastric muscle; it is one of three triangles included in the anterior triangle of the neck. This was formerly called the submaxillary triangle.”

What is the problem with “The triangular area between the chin and the top of the neck.”

LostInParadise's avatar

Try saying that three times fast

flo's avatar

I don’t remember seeing a diagram that refers to that though.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther