Mama_Cakes's avatar

Who is Biden going to pick for VP? Who do YOU like?

Asked by Mama_Cakes (10561points) 1 week ago from iPhone

As asked.

Hawaii_Jake's avatar

Personally, I like both Stacy Abrams and Kamala Harris. I don’t remember enough about Susan Rice to have an opinion about her. Elizabeth Warren is too old. I want him to pick someone young who could run in the future.

Kamala Harris or Tammy Duckworth.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.
The fascists’ heads would explode, collectively.

I think it should be a woman of color. Besides that, I see plusses and minuses to many of them. I wanted Elizabeth Warren to be President but I don’t think she’s what’s needed on the ticket now.

I have no idea who Biden will pick.

I like Tammy Duckworth. I really don’t know all of the people in the running right now very well. I’m interested in learning more about Grisham, Demmings, and Tammy Baldwin. The Michigan Governor is interesting, because most of my Michigan Republican friends did not complain about how she handled covid and all those same friends of mine tell people to wear a mask. I do have one Republican friend who felt the governor went too far and was afraid and pissed.

I know a lot of people want a woman of color, does that mean a Black woman, or anyone who is not European white non-Hispanic? A Black woman might make it difficult to bring calm back to our country, but maybe we can’t have calm anymore anyway. It’s not fair to choose someone based on that reason I realize. Grisham is Hispanic, which maybe could help get Florida. The Michigan Governor (I can’t think of her name) and Baldwin might help get the Midwest, and even the Southwest.

@ragingloli Alexandria is only 30 years old, you have to 35 to be President.

Patty_Melt's avatar

Candace Owens.

mazingerz88's avatar

Condoleeza Rice. Though I have yet to hear about her position on some big issues.

seawulf575's avatar

Biden won’t pick anyone. His handlers will tell him who is running mate will be. I’m betting Hillary ends up as VP.

I hope it’s not Hillary. We need a younger person in there.

seawulf575's avatar

I say it will be Hillary for a couple reasons. Logically, she almost won last time. She is obsessed with being POTUS. We all know that Biden will be the first POTUS in the history of our country that will be replaced under the 25th Amendment for being unable to discharge the duties of his office. That would make the VP, the POTUS. Hillary would backdoor her way into the office. She is that ambitious. And she brings a large amount of cash to the party…something the Dems need. In other words, just like in 2016, she will buy the nomination.

@seawulf575 Much as you would like that wish fulfilled, I have never seen her name even floated. I think it’s pretty clear to the Dems that she brings nothing to the party at this point.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Demosthenes's avatar

Well, he has to pick a black woman because diversity, so I guess either Kamala or Abrams. It’s hard to picture Kamala being chosen on account of her time as a prosecutor, which may be seen as too “law and order”.

@Demosthenes I disagree, he does not have to pick a Black woman. I was just watching The View today and Whoopi Goldberg took issue with that idea also. He probably will though. We’ll see.

kritiper's avatar

Michael Bloomberg.

kritiper's avatar

Biden has to win the election so who and what color his running mate might be is secondary.

josie's avatar

Elizabeth Warren
She’s a female which satisfies a constituency
She’s an old Boomer which satisfies a constituency
She’s a Native American which satisfies a constuency
She’s worth about 10 million dollars which satisfies a constituency
And she thinks that all sorts of stuff should be free, which is an idea that I find hard to argue against.
Go Libby!!!

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Darth_Algar's avatar

Good lord…

Kamala Harris is the front runner, but he might need to nominate someone who can bring a swing state with them. Amy Klobuchar could guarantee Minnesota, but isn’t of color, which is probably a requirement.
Sen. Tammy Duckworth would bring Illinois, which is probably voting for Joe anyway. She is a wounded vet, and has a father’s lineage to the Revolutionary War, and a mother from China.
I love Elizabeth Warren, but I’d pick Sen. Duckworth.

Pandora's avatar

Tammy Duckworth or Susan Rice.. Personally I love Val Demmings. But I don’t think she is well known enough like Tammy Duckworth or Susan Rice. Duckworth is a Veteran and I think she will get a lot of Veteran Votes. Susan Rice is well known and can help in repairing our Global reputation. And I’ve seen her speak several times. She is very smooth and classy.. She like a female version of Obama. Really has the chops for diplomacy. I can see either of these women possibly run in the future and win. I’m not just looking at 2020. We need a VP that can win the Presidency in the future.

mazingerz88's avatar

@filmfann I thought Duckworth’s Mom is from Thailand?

Darth_Algar's avatar

@mazingerz88

She is. Thai, of Chinese ancestry. Tammy herself was born on a US military base in Bangkok.

@filmfann Amy Klobuchar is impossible at this point. After the George Floyd murder and the whole BLM movement in full swing, she has too much history not prosecuting bad cops. This was already an issue in the Black community with her, now it would get traction with everyone from every race or ethnicity.

@Darth_Algar I’ve never heard she was born on base. Are you sure about that?

Yellowdog's avatar

It has already been established by Biden himself that it will be a “woman of color”—which means a white person of mixed ancestry / race who claims to be an African American.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@JLeslie

Do I know what exact inch of soil she was born on? No. Was she exactly born within the perimeter of a military base? Likely not. Most don’t have hospitals on site. Was she born in Bangkok while her father was stationed there? Yes. That’s what I meant. Likely on a hospital near to the base, but I, personally, am not certain, as I was not present at her birth. My apologies for not splitting the hair fine enough.

gondwanalon's avatar

I think Biden will pick a black women but I hope that he picks Mrs. Clinton.

@Darth_Algar I’m not trying to split hairs, but a birther might. It doesn’t matter if she was born on base or not to me. I just try to be accurate on these things so some idiot doesn’t come back trying to say the Democrat, Socialist, Liberal, mask wearers are lying.

I don’t see it as splitting hairs. If she’s not born on base she’s not. I don’t even think her father was living on base. Was he there with the military or as a diplomat? I need to look it up. I really don’t know.

Darth_Algar's avatar

Who cares what birther morons think? There’s a few holds outs left, but that ship lost its sails when Ted Cruz threw his hat in the ring and they were ok with it.

I care about being accurate.

Mama_Cakes's avatar

Not H. Clinton. Ugh.

I like Susan Rice, but I’m thinking it’ll be Harris.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@JLeslie

You “don’t think” but you “don’t know” and “have to look it up”. If you’re not even aware of who her father is then how can you claim you “don’t think” he was even on base?

And yes, her father, Cpt. Franklin Duckworth, a veteran of World War II, Korean and Vietnam, was military, not a diplomat.

@Darth_Algar I’m saying I don’t know. You said she was born on base like you know it for a fact. I don’t see how you can criticize me for admitting I’m not sure.

rockfan's avatar

I’d love to see Biden pick a genuine progressive, like Nina Turner. She’s awesome. I doubt it’s going to happen though, considering Biden is basically a moderate Republican

rockfan's avatar

@seawulf575

At first I thought you were joking. Cash isn’t what the Democratic Party needs, they need good politicians that support policies that improve people’s lives, not corporate donors. Plus, Hillary ran the worst Democratic campaign in election history in 2016

seawulf575's avatar

@rockfan Cash is ALWAYS what the Dems need. And before they get good politicians, they need actual good policies that improve people’s lives. So far as I can determine, nothing I have seen fits that bill. But they all benefit a select few corporations and donors. As for Hillary, it is easy now to say she ran the worst democratic campaign in election history, yet all her Dem followers (and a complicit media) hung on her every word, took it all as gospel, and rabidly attacked anyone that dared to even challenge her. Let’s compare that with what Biden is doing now. The media is covering for every one of his gaffes by attacking anyone that brings them up OR by just not reporting on them. They (his handlers) don’t let him speak in public and don’t let him actually have live question and answer sessions. The media acts like this is all really normal and shows what a great guy he is! He still screws up at just about every event where he has to speak, even if it is prearranged, not live, and he has had time to formulate answers to questions ahead of time. Now, how do you think that would translate into running the country? Does the POTUS get a chance to silo himself away from everyone and everything, only coming out to answer questions he gets in advance and ignoring the ones he doesn’t like? Yet the media and the Dems are swearing he is doing a great job. Does that sound like a great campaign to you? Does it sound like he is a good candidate? That he could even realistically do the job? Or does it sound like he is a puppet who they want to get put into office so that unelected people can actually fill the role of POTUS?

jca2's avatar

Biden said he would pick a woman of color as the VP.

Paranoid people are saying Hillary, meanwhile, I’ve not heard anything about Hillary being interested. With Biden stating he would pick a woman of color, the paranoid people are totally mistaken as Hillary is whiter than white.

I thought Harris was out as a candidate. I have to google it.

With Duckworth, if her father is or was a citizen of the US, then isn’t the baby automatically a US citizen?

jca2's avatar

I just googled the circumstances about Duckworth. Even though she should meet the requirements, there are a bunch of right wing paranoid sites that are saying she doesn’t meet the citizenship requirements. Therefore, I think she wouldn’t be a good candidate for VP, as the right wing nuts will constantly be picking at that topic incessantly.

@mazingerz88 Born in Thailand, mother from China.

@jca2 Her circumstance is basically the same as Ted Cruz, except Ducksworth’s father was actually serving the US when living abroad.

I knew the right would try to go after her, that’s why I was curious about the actual circumstance of her birth.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
gorillapaws's avatar

A genuine progressive like Nina Turner would guarantee a win. Biden’s team won’t do this. They’d rather roll-the-dice and pick a donor-approved, neo-liberal—just like Hillary. Because beating Trump is not the highest priority in the Democratic Party, maintaining neoliberal control over a progressive electorate is.

Caravanfan's avatar

As my post was moderated, I repeat: I don’t care. What people don’t realize is that it truly doesn’t matter who he picks as VEEP. All that is important is that the Great Orange is thrown from office. But since Biden is old, he needs to pick someone who is ready to step into the role of President at day 1. That rules out AOC as she needs more seasoning, but Bernie would be okay (although he is old, as is Warren). Although Duckworth has appeal being a disabled war vet, I don’t think she’s ready to step into a presidential role. Harris is, however. Abrams is not.

So, of all of those I mentioned, only Harris is the viable option. So I’m calling it now.

But again, It. Doesn’t. Matter. He can pick fucking Kanye for all I care.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Jesse Ventura. He seems level headed and wise. I don’t know what political party he is in.

Darth_Algar's avatar

Sorry, but Jesse Ventura is a fucking crackpot, and he failed miserably during his single term as governor. His economic policies alone cost his state billions in revenues and took the state of Minnesota from a $4,000,000,000 budget surplus to a $3,000,000,000 budget deficit. Nowadays he operates as a mouthpiece for the Russian government-owned RT and peddles in inane conspiracy theories.

gorillapaws's avatar

@Darth_Algar ”[Jesse Ventura’s] economic policies alone cost his state billions…”

How much do you think Biden’s crime bill cost the taxpayers over the past 2+ decades? How much do you think the War in Iraq (that Biden fought hard to push us into) costs the taxpayers? Jesse Ventura is a fucking crackpot, to be sure, but if fiscal responsibility is a metric you’re using to gauge political competence, then Ventura is a genius by comparison.

As for RT, I trust them more than AT&T-owned CNN, or Comcast-owned MSNBC, or Disney-owned ABC, or Viacom-owned CBS, or Jeff Bezos-owned Washington Post, or…(well, you get the idea).

Darth_Algar's avatar

“As for RT, I trust them more than…”

Of course you do.

seawulf575's avatar

Face it, Geriatric Joe is a puppet. He isn’t allowed out to interact with people anymore. He only interacts when he is given the questions that will be asked well before hand and then, his handlers give him the answers. He will choose for VP whomever his handlers want to be the POTUS when he is removed for being senile.

^ Your proof?

Darth_Algar's avatar

@chyna

His proof? “Eveyone knows it”.

Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
Response moderated (Unhelpful)
seawulf575's avatar

@chyna Well, I will admit, it is mainly my feeling from observations of his dealings so far. But Chris Wallace agrees with my assessment. He thinks Biden should be out getting grilled on tough questions which will not happen. He will only agree to appear on MSNBC or CNN both of whom will give him the questions well in advance, they will make them softball questions, and will edit out things that are too bizarre. This, too, has been shown to be true in their past dealings with Dem candidates. Let Biden sit down with Chris Wallace. Let him go onto some conservative site and do an impromptu interview. It won’t happen. He hasn’t done really any live press conferences except for the one in Delaware at the end of June. And that one showed how lost he really is.
Terry McAuliffe said it best: “People say all the time, ‘Oh, we need to get the Vice President out of the basement.’ He’s fine in the basement. He is seen by two people every day, his two body people. That’s it.” So apparently McAuliffe agrees with my assessment as well.

jca2's avatar

@seawulf575: OK, so there are two people who agree with your assessment, Chris Wallace and Terry McAuliffe.

Yellowdog's avatar

@seawulf575 It is not just his two body people who attend Biden daily. There are two staff attendies from Visiting Angels, and his wife.

<eye roll>. Where’s your proof @Yellowdog?
I know, you’re just making this shit up.

Yellowdog's avatar

If you know, then why do you ask?

Seriously, only two aids / attendees and his wife are allowed to interact for Biden. They are attendees but they are not (probably) with Visiting Angels.

But do you want your nominee to be someone who cannot or is not allowed to speak for himself? That much SHOULD be a serious concern.

Darth_Algar's avatar

@Yellowdog

So where’s your proof?

@Yellowdog doesn’t need “any stinking proof ! ! ! ! ”
_

Yellowdog's avatar

They’re not with visiting angels. America’s choice for homecare. But being coddled by one’s wife and two attendees—and being told what to say to the point that one diverts from the narrative and has to be redirected back on track if his personal opinion is different from the given one, that’s pretty sad.

Ok, again @Yellowdog, how do you know there are 2 people with him at all times?
You do know that since he is high profile that he does have bodyguards don’t you? That is just common sense and most high profile people have bodyguards. All ex-presidents and their families are assigned bodyguards for the rest of their life.

So @Yellowdog do you see wires and strings and other things connected to Biden by your “TWO ATTENDEES” ?

Darth_Algar's avatar

Every former president and vice-president is assigned a security detail for life.