General Question

2davidc8's avatar

Why is mold dangerous? Requiring immediate attention in schools, public buildings, etc.?

Asked by 2davidc8 (10127points) 4 weeks ago

As asked.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

The Genus Stachybotrys: What You Should Know

Stachybotrys is sometimes called toxic black mold because it produces mycotoxins that can cause severe health problems to those who have been exposed to it. Stachybotrys exposure symptoms include difficulty breathing, sinusitis, fatigue, and even depression.

elbanditoroso's avatar

I’m not sure “immediate attention” is always called for. But mold and mold spores can get breathed in, and if they get into the lungs, can cause all sorts of issues.

There is a “mold industry” and to a lesser degree a “mold lobby” that does publicize the importance of getting rid of mold, to some degree for financial gain.

Compare mold to the radon scare of the 1980s, which turned out to be largely overblown.

snowberry's avatar

if you are allergic to mold like I am and like many people I know, black mold in a building is not overblown.

kritiper's avatar

Some mold could be dangerous. Especially if you haven’t been exposed to it much. Being exposed to dirt and mold allows your body to build resistance.

Response moderated (Writing Standards)
Dutchess_III's avatar

Mold put me in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia once.

2davidc8's avatar

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for replying!

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther