General Question

nmguy_'s avatar

Where to File State Income Tax?

Asked by nmguy_ (73points) January 28th, 2009

If I live in New Mexico for the first 7 months of the year, then move to California, should I pay NM or CA taxes when filling out the forms before April 15?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

jasongarrett's avatar

Both states probably require you to file as a partial-year resident.

blastfamy's avatar

I’ve never paid taxes, but intuitively, I would think that you would claim all of you income in the state which you currently reside (Cali).

cwilbur's avatar

This is a question for a tax accountant or for the helpline of the revenue departments of the states you’ve been in. How would you know if you got the right answer on Fluther?

asmonet's avatar

I had to do that once for Florida and Virginia, I used an online tax service and they asked me if I lived in any other state and filled everything in perfectly. I don’t know the specifics, but file online and it should be taken care of.

That seems terribly flippant now that I’m reading that. I hope I never get audited. :’(

Michael's avatar

Generally, in situations like this, you need to file tax returns in BOTH states. That doesn’t necessarily mean you have to pay full taxes in both, but both states will require you to file. Most states have a “part-time resident” form (I know that CA does). If you can afford it, I recommend going to a professional tax preparer this year. Mutli-state returns can be complicated and you don’t want to mix it up.

If you can’t afford it, many cities hold free tax clinics periodically, and more frequently as it gets closer to tax time. Don’t just wing it.

DrBill's avatar

You need to file as a part year resident in each state that you had income in. If you only had taxable income in one state, you only need to file in that state.

Don’t forget to file for the tax credit for taxes paid to another State.

tax consultant since ‘73

kevbo's avatar

p.s. you can file for free on the NM state Web site here.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther