General Question

PrancingUrchin's avatar

What is causing this pain in my chest?

Asked by PrancingUrchin (1944points) November 3rd, 2009

Ok, so I’m not sure if they’re correlated but yesterday I burped. It felt as if it was a normal burp but ever since then I’ve been experiencing a deep pain in my lower throat ranging through my chest. What is causing this. It feels similar to what I would guess heartburn might feel like but I’ve never had heartburn. I’m befuddled. Has anyone had a similar pain or know what is causing the pain? Should I go to Health Services?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

18 Answers

gemiwing's avatar

Yes. Go to a doctor.

Lightlyseared's avatar

Pain in the chest is always a sign that you should go to the doctor.

SpatzieLover's avatar

Call your doctor’s office and go in for an appt. This could be so many things: Heartburn, indigestion, reaction to a chemical, gall bladder inflammation….

Only a doctor can tell you for certain.

avvooooooo's avatar


JLeslie's avatar

Take some Mylanta and see if it helps. Do you feel pressure in your chest or pain in your jaw?

RedPowerLady's avatar

Heartburn is a b*tch. It can feel really very nasty. It moves through you quicker if you stay upright and drink some water so you can burp. Also some Mylanta as @JLeslie suggested might help. I would try those.

If however you are worried at all or you start getting additional symptoms then call a doctor.

patg7590's avatar

does it feel like this?

JLeslie's avatar

If the mylanta does nothing you should consider going to the doctor, or if suddenly you take a turn for the worse of course. Are you alone? If you are alone I might we quicker to suggest seeing a doctor right away.

ragingloli's avatar

a xenomorph

jackm's avatar

most likely heartburn, tr to treat it yourself, and if that does nothing, then go to a doctor.

avvooooooo's avatar

Is that “Health Services” as in free student health care?

filmfann's avatar

Go to the doctor, but it could just be acid reflux. Doctor, though, to be safe.

PrancingUrchin's avatar

@avvooooooo , Yes, health services as in “I’m a student with tuition-paid health care”. Thank you all for your advice, I was going to go tomorrow when they opened (they were closed by the time I posted this question) but it seems to have gone away for the most part by itself. I didn’t take anything so it was probably one of the less severe afflictions that you all mentioned. Again, thank you.

RedPowerLady's avatar

@PrancingUrchin I betcha it was heartburn. It happens exactly like you described it. Part in the throat, part in the chest. Just keep some tums on hand for if it happens again.

Darwin's avatar

Sounds like heartburn to me, too. Your burp may have shot a bit of stomach acid up into your esophagus. Tums is a good choice as it will also give you your calcium ration.

If this happens more often than a couple times a week, then you may need to go to the doctor to see if it is GERD. Over time, GERD can cause some nasty changes in the cells lining the esophagus.

avvooooooo's avatar

@Darwin Especially since its an already-paid-for health services doctor.

mattbrowne's avatar

An EKG could prove that your heart is fine. The pain could have a psychosomatic reason. But to rule out anything serious go see a doctor.

PrancingUrchin's avatar

@Everyone, again thank you all for your concern and help. I can always count on Fluther. :)

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther