General Question

punkrockworld's avatar

Can you graduate from a four year university if you have only attended it for one semester after transferring from a community college?

Asked by punkrockworld (960points) January 9th, 2010

I have gone to a community college for 3 years.. and i am done pretty much. Can I just finish up my four last [major] classes at the four year university and graduate?
Another question is: how much before hand do you apply as a transfer?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

11 Answers

Darwin's avatar

Most universities have a requirement that you take a certain number of credits at specific levels at their institution. Thus, the classes you took during the three years at the junior college may very well transfer but they may only transfer as underclass credits (freshman and sophomore). You would still need to earn the required number of upperclass credits (junior and senior classes).

You really need to ask the university in question about their requirements and procedures.

Likeradar's avatar

There are usually standards about how many credit hours you need to take at a university/4 year college to receive a diploma with the school’s name on it.

It prevents people from being able to get a diploma from a school they didn’t do most of their coursework at.

edit: Also, there are probably different requirements for graduation. You’ll probably have to take at least a semester or two of classes that have nothing to do with your major.

avvooooooo's avatar

No. You’re not allowed to get a “brand name” diploma using “discount” classes. Colleges and universities have a minimum number of hours completed at that institution in order to get a degree from that institution. They’re basically not going to endorse a product that they had nothing to do with, that product being your education.

Every school has a date for applications transferring. Its not just picking up and moving, its applying and getting into the college and then going there to take classes, just like being admitted as a freshman, but with the added headache of transferring courses. Find out when the application deadline is for each semester at the school you want to attend.

galileogirl's avatar

In the US there are lower division classes, usually general ed or prerequisites to your major studies, that may be completed either in 2 or 4 year schools. These classes are not a function of how many years spent in community collrgr, I complete them in 3 semesters plus a summer session. After completing the approx 64 required semester credits you transfer to a 4 year school where you complete approx 64 more credits to meet your major requirements. usually in 2 or more years.

What I find mildly shocking is you have been in school for 3 years without knowing how you are going to get where you are going. It is like you are trying trying to go from NYC to SF with no map, GPS or compass. There are counselors at your community college to help you choose classes. There are college catalogues that give you entrance requirements. If you can;t figure it out with access to those resources, maybe you’re not ready to move forward?

hug_of_war's avatar

At my school you need at least 90 credits (2 years taking a normal courseload) at the 4-year. I transferred after 85 community college credits. (My school is on quarters if these credit hours seem high). Speak to an advisor. If you’ve been a full-time cc studen you’ve probably already wasted money going there for 3 years when you should have transferred a while ago.

Pretty_Lilly's avatar

Metaphor time !!
Can you buy a Chevy replace the grill,bumpers,tires and rims with Mercedes Benz parts !! Then can you resell it as a Mercedes !!

DrMC's avatar

The 4 year programs have a lot to offer. Spending more time there may not be such a bad thing. You get more than a degree, you are starting a professional life, in many cases it will help to be more apprenticed.

casheroo's avatar

I’m wondering what your major is, that you only have four more classes. Usually, a four year college has specific pre-reqs that even community college doesn’t offer.

For example, I went to community college, and then transferred to Temple University. Temple has these classes, Intellectual Heritage 1 & 2. Nothing is comparable to them at any other college..and they are core curriculum. So, you might need some of the core from the 4 year college, that have nothing to do with your major.
You’ll probably have two more years to go, or maybe just a year and a half if you work hard.

PandoraBoxx's avatar

For a 4 year English degree here, the requirement is 40 hours general education 100 -200 level, 37 hours program required courses 300 + level, 33 hours English department required courses 300+, 14 hours additional 300+ electives. That’s 124 hours on a semester basis for a BA degree. For transfer students, in order to meet the degree requirements, the department required courses must be completed at the university, or 37 hours of course work must be at the university awarding the degree, roughly 2–3 semesters.

You should be applying now for the fall semester. Class registration will be in March or April for fall classes at most universities.

Even though your credit hours will transfer, it doesn’t mean they will all apply to a major. Some may fit the requirements for a minor, however, or you may graduate with more hours than you need. Also, there is a GPA requirement for transfer students, depending on program, and classes that are not As and Bs may not transfer. In other words, because you did the work, it may not all apply.

janbb's avatar

Check with your community college. They should have “articulation agreements” with universities in your state that specify which courses and how many credits the universities will apply to a degree. There is no standard answer but your community college is the best place to find out what will apply for you.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther