rebbel's avatar

The girl/boy you went out on a date with, after you took her/him home, asks you if you want to come up 'for a coffee' but you are not interested. What is your excuse?

Asked by rebbel (23543 points ) August 25th, 2011

Of course most Jellies are very assertive and right to the point, and would answer something like “Look, I had a pretty nice evening with you, but I am sorry, I don’t think it would work out, the two of us.”
So, imagine you aren’t that assertive, more so, you are quite shy and not very direct.
What would be your lame, a bit cowardly maybe even, yet funny for the sake of the question excuse to not come for coffee?

ANef_is_Enuf's avatar

‘I have to wash my hair,’ of course.

Londongirl's avatar

You can say: Thanks nice to meet you but I have to go sorry.

Zaku's avatar

“I have to get home to play online Myth II: Soulblighter with some old gaming friends.”

creative1's avatar

I have an early morning and have to get going…… personally I would just tell it like it is but if that don’t work then I would go with that response.

Londongirl's avatar

I think the best to be honest, though it is not nice but you don’t confuse people. Just say politely that it was nice meeting you but I don’t think it is good idea for me to come up.

Haleth's avatar

It depends on how the date went. Usually it’s just, “Uhhhhh…” (checks wrist even though not wearing a watch) “It’s getting late. Bye.” But once on a really bad date that wouldn’t end I said I had cramps.

I’ve always wanted to bust out some non-sensical excuse like “I’d love to, but I have to rearrange my sock drawer” or something like that.

Now I’m remembering that scene from Seinfeld where they’re like, “coffee is never just coffee! Coffee is sex!”

rebbel's avatar

@Londongirl Yup, that would be best, I agree.
The question though is to imagine that you cannot be that honest and you have to come up with a lame excuse.

josie's avatar

Sorry. I am just not that into you.

KatawaGrey's avatar

I would probably say something that I knew would seriously scare of the guy if I really didn’t like him. I might say, “Sorry, I have a big Magic tournament in the morning and I have to run some drafting simulations with my team tonight.” Or, I might say, “Oh, sorry, but I’m meeting with a seamstress in the morning to go over the details for my costume for the Star Trek convention in Vegas.” Then I would start chatting animatedly about the Trek actors who were going to be there and who I’d already met and who I can’t wait to meet. :-P

In all seriousness, though, if I really liked the person but didn’t want to go up to their apartment or house to have sex, I would probably just say that I wanted to get to know them a little better before we had sex and then give them another date and time to hang out so they wouldn’t think I was just brushing them off nicely.

Honestly, I’ve never been in this situation. I might actually just choke and start sweating profusely.

TexasDude's avatar

I have explosive diarrhea.

gravity's avatar

The mothership is touching in down in 0100 hours and I have to be ready for tagging, otherwise, I would love to… maybe next time. dart for the nearest exit

redfeather's avatar

I have to go home and lick my cat. She can’t do it herself, ya see…

Joker94's avatar

“Uh…I have a headache.”

Kardamom's avatar

I simply can’t, The Nanny is coming on Nick at Night in 10 minutes and I don’t have a DVR, plus I have to get home and change into my outfit (the last part is made up, I don’t really don’t have an outfit, although I’d like to, but the first part is the God’s honest truth!)

Joker94's avatar

@Kardamom Ah! I love the Nanny!

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

Sorry my herpes is flaring up.

Jude's avatar

Herpes flare-up.

dammit, A.

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

Kidding. I’m clean

Jude's avatar

@Adirondackwannabe .. No, we had the same response, lol

Adirondackwannabe's avatar

@Jude I’m flunkering for the first time ever, so watch out.

gravity's avatar

I hear my smoke alarm going off.

everephebe's avatar

I’m sorry I have a duel at midnight. I’d take the coffee offer up but I don’t want my hands to shake, I’m sure you understand.
Say… Would you like to be my second? I think I still need a second, hold on I need to go make a call, are you interested though? Because you can if you want to I think…

Kardamom's avatar

I’d better not, the last time I drank coffee at night, I whizzed like a racehorse right in the middle of my Mother In law’s living room. Unless, of course you have some of that Resolve carpet cleaner and then maybe I could re-consider. Heh heh : )

poisonedantidote's avatar

- I suffer from premature ejaculation.

- It’s ok, I have desensitizing cream.

- I disappointed you 20 minutes ago, you just did not notice. Night.

Jude's avatar

You’re stepping on my hemorrhoid.

dappled_leaves's avatar

I have to go clean my andirons.

Jude's avatar

Want to see a picture of my tonsil stone?

_zen_'s avatar

Sorry – I’m just not into you.

KatawaGrey's avatar

@zen: At which point she’d respond, “I know, I invited you upstairs to fix that.”

“Ahh, yes….you see it’s like this, coffee brings me out in a rash & anyway, mummy says I have to be in by ten. She does like to tuck me in & read a few lines of Brer Rabbit before I go to sleep…...byeeeee!!”

Londongirl's avatar

@rebbel Sure, but my point is to not confuse people by being honest. No need for lame excuse, a polite yet honest answer is the best.

_zen_'s avatar

@KatawaGrey Yeah, in a movie. In real life she’d slap, cry, run, curse… pick one.