jonsblond's avatar

Is it difficult to get a refund when you pay for FedEx Priority Overnight and your package doesn't arrive on time.

Asked by jonsblond (39007 points ) December 25th, 2013

I ordered a gift for myself this past Friday and I paid $19.99 for FedEx Priority Overnight. The package was guaranteed to arrive by December 24th. It’s not here.

I’m tracking the package and it was on a FedEx vehicle for delivery yesterday, but it is now back at the facility. I’m assuming the driver couldn’t find our house.

Has anyone here attempted to collect a refund for a package that didn’t arrive on time? Is this going to be a big pain in the butt for me or will one simple phone call do the trick?

Probably not very helpful, but on the 23d, I did get a voice mail message from Fed Ex saying that the driver had tried to make a delivery but couldn’t find my house. When I called back saying that I had lived here for 27 years, the woman apologized and mentioned that they had a lot of temp. drivers who did not know the ins-and-outs of the rural roads.

She was very user-friendly. I asked her (again) to put the directions to chez moi in their data base. We have had this problem before.

I would certainly call tomorrow and be courteous but firm. Ask why no one called you on the 23d. $20 is not to be sneezed at.

I don’t know about FedEx, but I will find out about UPS tomorrow. They failed on four out of four packages. One was out for delivery in Seattle at 1:30 a.m. Monday; it still has not been delivered as of Wednesday.

They failed on one package from Amazon for me, and when I asked about he other package from amazon they said it would be delivered by 11 pm. Tuesday. Never made it.

I think they will refund it no questions asked. You have proof after all.

It appears we are not alone. UPS and Fed Ex flooded with complaints.

Also check out Fed Ex on Facebook for more enraged customers.

jonsblond's avatar

Thanks everyone. I have a feeling I will be put on hold for a good amount of time tomorrow when I call. Should I contact the company I purchased the sweatshirt from or FedEx?

I’ve never had a problem with UPS. I made another purchase through Amazon the same evening with a guaranteed delivery by Dec. 24th. I was surprised to receive that item on the 23rd.

jonsblond's avatar

On hold for 30 minutes and counting. This is just how I wanted to spend the day after Christmas. Fun times.

jca's avatar

It’s all over the news. Short holiday season and the bad storms, plus online shopping is up. Next year I bet they hire more seasonal help to avoid this bad PR.

@jonsblond posted that she had been on hold for 30 minutes and counting. That was 4 hours ago and she hasn’t returned. I wonder if she is still on hold?

jonsblond's avatar

Haha. I finally got through after 40 minutes and they gave me a refund without any hassle. I then spent another 15 minutes trying to locate my package. The status wasn’t updated online, so I had to contact the local facility to find out where it was. I am now wearing my comfy sweatshirt.

I guess the extra wait was worth it since I didn’t have to pay for shipping.

And I bet that having a sweat shirt takes care of the sweating that the 40 minute wait must have engendered.

Whenever I have a really long wait, I put the phone on speaker and do things like flossing my teeth, filing my finger and toe nails, plucking my eyebrows, cleaning the flanges of the refrigerator door with a Q-tip, dusting the back corners of the kitchen cabinet shelves, removing the crumbs from the utensil drawers, watering the plants downstairs or sweeping the dead leaves out of the garage. I feel virtuous and don’t mind the wait.

My ‘hood was awash with both Fed-Ex and UPS trucks this morning. I saw four.