General Question

RedDeerGuy1's avatar

Does anyone have a ph d. In biology , or other ,with a specialty in hiccups?

Asked by RedDeerGuy1 (13518points) January 15th, 2018

Are there people researching in hiccups? Also what is the current status on finding a cure so far?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

7 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

Tranquilizers are used for long term hiccups (like days in a row).
Cause is an irritation of a nerve that goes to the chest from the neck.

elbanditoroso's avatar

Specialists who may be involved in treating hiccups include an otolaryngologist (an ear, nose, and throat specialist, or ENT), a gastroenterologist (a specialist in the digestive tract), a neurologist (a specialist in the brain and nervous system), a pulmonologist (a lung specialist), or a psychologist.

kritiper's avatar

I hear hospitals use a spoonful of sugar to cure hiccups. I drink a full glass of water while turning the glass. A friend of mine drinks a full glass of water from the far side (upper, as you face the glass) of the glass.(Quite a feat, kind of upside-down like.) Both of us say our methods work 100% of the time.

KNOWITALL's avatar

The best cure is to stop breathing for a bit. While on the subect, why do some ppl have cute little hiccups & others full body hiccups?

chinchin31's avatar

Hold your breath while drinking 13 sips of water. Works everytime.

Patty_Melt's avatar

OP is regarding the study of, not home remedies.
Yes, lots of study has gone into hic hic hiccups, and various remedies.

kritiper's avatar

Looks like there’s a study going on here right now…

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther