General Question

SergeantQueen's avatar

What is the process for getting emancipated in Wisconsin?

Asked by SergeantQueen (7354points) February 13th, 2018

I turn 18 in 10 months. Is it even possible for me to do that?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

25 Answers

SergeantQueen's avatar

It says
“E. There is no legal procedure in Wisconsin for requesting emancipation status.
F. Courts deal with a request for emancipation in a given situation on a case-by-case basis.
Such situations included school residency, court jurisdiction and debts.”
so what would I have to do?

elbanditoroso's avatar

On one website I looked at, it said “Consult a family law attorney”

SergeantQueen's avatar

Do you know how much that would cost?

canidmajor's avatar

If emancipation is not possible, consider petitioning for a change of guardianship. Again, consulting an attorney is your best bet, but some of the sites have Question buttons, and you can start there.

SergeantQueen's avatar

Okay. Thank you

SergeantQueen's avatar

So far they are asking me to pay to get an answer

janbb's avatar

If you turn 18 in 10 months, why do it now? I woud think the process could take that long and at 18, you wll be emancipated.

SergeantQueen's avatar

A ton of stuff just happened. Real bad. and I emotionally and physically cannot be there anymore. I’m not exaggerating. It’s just so bad. I try to get out as much as possible but it’s hard.

canidmajor's avatar

Different sites have different requirements for paying or not.

In most states, conditions have to be very severe to either grant emancipated status or to change your legal guardian. In the absence of severe abuse or neglect, your best bet is to wait, as @janbb suggests.

I make no judgements here, I don’t know your circumstances. What you consider to be really bad may not meet the court’s requirements.
Can you support yourself? Have you got an alternate place to stay? If you are still in school, is there a counselor who could professionally assess your circumstance?

These are all things to consider.

SergeantQueen's avatar

I have a job, and I’m scared if I tell a counselor social services will get involved and I don’t want anything happening to my younger brother just me.

canidmajor's avatar

Well, you can’t do this alone. Remember, a lawyer is an officer of the court, and could not be complicit in any illegal activity involving a minor. If you don’t want the household investigated, then you will just have to wait it out. Any course of legal action you try to take will likely have a spotlight trained on your family.

SergeantQueen's avatar

Well I don’t know maybe it would be best if he got out of there too.

canidmajor's avatar

Really, the best we can do here is recommend that you get help there. The school counselor may actually be your best bet at this point.

SergeantQueen's avatar

I read somewhere that the closer to 18 you are and if you run away they are more likely not to look into it.

canidmajor's avatar

If you run away can you keep your job? Finish school? Where would you live? All these questions need answers.

SergeantQueen's avatar

I have someone

SergeantQueen's avatar

But no to job and no to school

canidmajor's avatar

Here’s a resource that may have some good info for you.

SergeantQueen's avatar

Thank you I looked around but the chat is down

stanleybmanly's avatar

The thing to appreciate is that there is no way out of this which will avoid focus of attention on your younger sibling.

Kardamom's avatar

I agree with the others who have suggested that you speak with your school counselor. That is why they are there. They can give you options, and explain who you need to speak with, and explain to you about your schooling, whether you become emancipated or not. They most likely would be able to help you find arrangements to get another legal guardian, until you turn 18, and help you to make a decision about what to do about your siblings.

Adagio's avatar

I hope you find the help and support you need, my very warmest wishes to you @SergeantQueen

Zissou's avatar

I don’t know about WI, but where I live, cops won’t force anyone over 16 to go back to their parents.

If you have reasons for not talking to a school counselor, there may be private non-profit organizations in your area who can help you. Maybe you could ask your counselor about, say, resources for runaways without going into detail, or you could say you’re “asking for a friend.” Another option might be to call a suicide hotline, even though you are not suicidal (I hope). I looked into volunteering for one of those recently and learned that their training includes learning where to send people to get more help in their area.

One other option to consider: the armed forces, in particular, the Coast Guard Reserve or the Air National Guard (those are the most likely to teach you something useful without sending you to Afghanistan). This won’t help you right this minute, but if end up cutting ties with your family, you will need help later on. But only do this if the mission appeals to you; people who join just to pay for college are generally miserable in the service.

Edit: There is a “teen line” on this list of emergency numbers

MrGrimm888's avatar

Good luck SQ.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther