2davidc8's avatar

Do you take apple cider vinegar?

Asked by 2davidc8 (9877points) 2 weeks ago

In what form? Liquid or capsules?
Why do you take it? What are the benefits?

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

There is a bottle, thus liquid, in the cabinet that is occasionally used for cooking. Why? Because a recipe calls for it.

My brother takes a shot glass of it every single day. He says it’s good for controlling his pre diabetes, good for his blood and energy levels. I have no way of knowing if this is all true.

No, but someone I know was buying some special brand of it several years ago to take daily to cure everything. I don’t know if she’s still doing it.

I do use apple cider vinegar in some dishes, like when I make brisket.

Call_Me_Jay's avatar

I don’t “take” it but I use it whenever I need vinegar.

I follow the rule of thumb that colorful versions of fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than plainer ones. I take that from the book Eating on the WIld Side by Jo Robinson.

Lightlyseared's avatar

As a salad dressing. It makes salad taste nice.

Caravanfan's avatar

There are no special health benefits to apple cider vinegar. It’s just vinegar.

RocketGuy's avatar

If my bath towels get stinky, I add apple cider vinegar to the wash instead of bleach. It gets rid of most of the smell and doesn’t cause fading.

Kardamom's avatar

I don’t “take” it as a supplement, but I do use it in cooking. I like vinegar and eat a lot of salads with vinegar based dressings. I also make a lot of quick pickles. Apple cider vinegar is quite delicious.

There are some modest health benefits associated with apple cider vinegar, but it’s not a magic elixir. You can read about the benefits and limitations here:

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/forefront/health-and-wellness-articles/debunking-the-health-benefits-of-apple-cider-vinegar

kruger_d's avatar

I rinse my hair with a teaspoon in a pint of water. Makes it shinier and easier to detangle because their is less hard water residue.

JLoon's avatar

Yes ^^^
I dillute it sometimes as a clarifying rinse for my hair. Good stuff if you don’t overuse it.

2davidc8's avatar

Wow, I didn’t know about those other uses. I had been just thinking about ingesting.
How about a dilute solution of it to fight mineral buildup near kitchen and bathroom faucets? How dilute?

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

Vinegar can dissolve mineral build-up in many cases. White vinegar is typically cheaper than cider vinegar. It should be applied in full strength vs. watered down.

RocketGuy's avatar

@Pied_Pfeffer – I did that last weekend: I soaked a paper towel with vinegar (full strength) and stuck it to the side of our coffee pot. 2 hours later the water spots were gone!