General Question

nmguy's avatar

Several years ago I left California for New Mexico, and now i'd like to return. Do I have to take the physical driving test when I get back or just the written one?

Asked by nmguy (528points) April 5th, 2009
Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

4 Answers

arnbev959's avatar

From here:

If you are a first-time New Mexico licensee age 18 to 24 you will be are required to take the “None for the Road” self-study DWI awareness class. First, a) complete the “None for the Road” course; then b) take your certificate of completion and other required identification (see question #5), to any Motor Vehicle Division Field Office to apply for your license. Note: Individuals who are age 25 or older are generally not required to take the “None for the Road” course.

Yes. If you have a current driver’s license from another state, or are applying for a first time New Mexico driver’s license, you will be required to pass an eye exam. Written tests are required for all applicants who are applying for a first time driver’s license or for those whose licenses that have been expired for one year or more. Road tests are required for first time applicants or those with licenses expired over 5 years. A license will not be issued if your driving privileges have been suspended, revoked, or denied by this state or any other state.

nikipedia's avatar

When I moved to CA from NY, I just had to do the written one. You should be good.

sdeutsch's avatar

I moved to CA from PA, and all I had to do was the written test and the vision exam – no actual road test required. I’m pretty sure as long as you have a valid driver’s license from another state, they won’t make you take the road test again.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther