General Question

What kind of beer should I brew for my daughter's Bat Mitzvah?

Asked by Rarebear (21085 points ) December 5th, 2013

No, my daughter doesn’t drink. But we will be having beer and wine for the adults. Instead of having some store bought beer, I thought I’d brew 10 gallons of my own which makes approximately two cases. I will be brewing for adults who are not necessarily beer geeks like me, so I’m going to avoid the fancy double IPAs. I’m leaning towards a brown ale and a pale ale. It needs to be an ale and not a lager as I’m a little under the gun here in terms of time. Any other ideas? I will be doing one all-grain and one extract brew. I buy the ingredients tomorrow.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

26 Answers

Considering that you are doing the decorations with a non-Christmas, but still winter theme, maybe your beers could have a Winter Theme too.

I don’t know anything about beer brewing, but that article and recipes sounded pretty tempting.

I love brown ale.

Ooh ooh! How about a red ale?

@Seek_Kolinahr A red ale would be good too. I’m going back and forth. The thing about red ales is that they’re actually not all that different in flavor from pale ales—just a little maltier.

@Kardamom Thanks. I’ve done winter beers before. The problem with them is that a lot of them have spices and stuff which are frankly an acquired taste. That said, it would be more interesting than just, say, a brown ale. By the way out of curiosity, how did you know about the theme? Had I mentioned it before?

You asked about centerpieces a while ago.

Well…do you have a recipe for Boones Farm?

@Kardamom Yikes! That link gave me some computer woes – I’ve flagged it, but I thought I should tell you why.

@Seek_Kolinahr Ah, right! Good memory!

@glacial It didn’t do anything to mine.

I think your malware detector is on the fritz, ‘cause it’s fine for me, too.

@glacial Ah, I see now that Ad block blocked some ads.

@Rarebear I knew about it from your Other Question : )

@Kardamom Thanks. @Seek_Kolinahr reminded me that I had posted it. Good memory!

Mmmm yes, red or amber or a winterfest brew. Damn it all, I am on the Z-pak for a sinus/ear infection, I want a dark beer. Oh well, have to settle for hot chocolate. lol
A local brewery here makes the most killer Scotch Ale. So yummy!

When I brew beer it’s always a stouty brown ale with plenty of chocolate malt. Goooood stuff.

Does malty make it more celebratory?

@RocketGuy smoother less hoppy. For me that’s winter beer. Stick to you ribs kind of warm fuzzy beer. Summer time is IPA time.

@RocketGuy No, it’s just that many beer initiates don’t like hoppy beers.

Hoppy hoppy hoppy!

Hoppy makes me happy. ^_^

Energizer Bunny. Never stops drinking. ^_^

I’d go with a pale ale if the guests aren’t beer geeks.

Personally, I would want pale ale too, but would something malty be more festive?

Oh a pale is on the list. I’m now looking for ideas for the second one. I’m hedging towards a holiday ale.

I’m mad jelly of your guests.

You just want to brag about how great your beer is. I have you figured out. I think you knew all along what you’d be brewing.

shame on you for teasing us beer lovers

Shame, shame, shame.

No. I really didn’t. I had an idea that I’d do a pale and a brown but I hate brown ales. Kardamommy changed my mind.

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther