General Question

talljasperman's avatar

Where can an adult get career advice or guidance counseling?

Asked by talljasperman (21858points) November 21st, 2014

Not limited to the internet and for under $ 250. Or free. I am thinking of redoing my high school diploma by getting a GED, to get me started.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

8 Answers

Tropical_Willie's avatar

If you have a high school diploma, I don’t think you can have a “do over” and get a GED.

ibstubro's avatar

Just guessing you have an adult career and guidance counseling center near you?
Unemployment/employment office? Career guidance center? Whatever the government term is there?

zenvelo's avatar

See if there is a provincial Employment Development office, or any rehabilitation/retraining programs. Government programs don’t charge.

Redoing your high school diploma/GED is not career advice or getting guidance counseling. You need to talk to someone who can get an idea of what would be a good fit for you.

Buttonstc's avatar

You can start by going to Amazon and ordering a copy (it’s an older book so available for cheap used) of “What Color is Your Parachute”.

This book has been used successfully by many guidance and career counselors to give their clients a starting point for getting in touch with their interests and aptitudes.

There is no one who can figure this out for you and hand it to you on a silver platter. Any professional who does this will require full participation and thought from you. A lot of it is what you can do yourself.

Here in the States, for people on disability, there is the OVR DEPT. whose job it is to guide people in this endeavor. OVR stands for Office of Vocational Rehabilitation and common sense dictates that something similar exists in Canada.

It will just have a slightly different title or acronym but the idea will be the same.

Your social worker (or even Doctor) should be able to give you its specific title and phone no. After that, it’s your job to follow up and get an appt. with the right person.

In the meantime, give your thought process a jumpstart with the book. You’ll be the one who needs to do the bulk of the work in this endeavor. The professional exists just to steer you a bit in the right direction. After that the ball is in your court.

wildpotato's avatar

This is a great place to start. They have a number to call and a Works Centre in your town.

You can also explore career counselling with a therapist. I’m not sure if your medical plan would cover this, but you could check out some therapists and look into it.

Dutchess_III's avatar

There is a difference between a GED and a diploma.

Mamalove's avatar

If you graduated from a college or university they should have a Career Guidance office.

Dutchess_III's avatar

@Mamalove read the details please. He didn’t even graduate from HS.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther