Social Question

JLeslie's avatar

What options are there for partitioning a kitchen from the family room?

Asked by JLeslie (61540points) September 23rd, 2017 from iPhone

I like an open floor plan, but sometimes it’s nice to have the kitchen more private. What type of door options are there that can disappear into the wall or create a barrier. I’ve seen shutter like options that go ceiling to counter top, but I haven’t seen door option to the floor.

I don’t want typical folding walls like in a party venue.

Feel free to be creative even if you don’t know if your idea is actually available in stores.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

14 Answers

jca's avatar

What about a door on a track, like a pocket door but there’s no pocket?

ragingloli's avatar

A folding wall made of electric glass.

Tropical_Willie's avatar

@JLeslie How about one of these wall/doors ? ?

chyna's avatar

Really good ideas above!

JLeslie's avatar

I wasn’t sure if I want a track across the floor. I think that might be odd in a house. It would be nice to have something that works like a track though, and disappears into a wall. I could just use large pocket doors I guess, if the kitchen is shaped right, but I don’t think it will be a wide enough opening.

I don’t want the smart glass, because it will still be a barrier at the times I want it open. It’s probably very expensive too, but I’ve never seen prices.

Thanks though for the suggestions. I hope more come along.

Muad_Dib's avatar

Is this something you’re going to need often, or just a one-time (or, say, occasional) thing?

I really like standing room dividers, since they can give the idea of “this is party space / this is not party space” without being literal caution tape between the party-goers and the person up to her elbows in bearnaise sauce.

jca's avatar

@JLeslie: How about a pole type thing above the doorway? the door has hooks that slide on the pole. I’ve seen them in restaurants when they have a private room. There’s one here – I’ll see if I can find a photo.

chyna's avatar

What about Barn doors{productgroupid}:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=276114946&is_retargeting=true&clickid=1a9177f5-c252–4e68-b5ff-2cb502aaf46b
Sorry, but the link does work. Anyway there would be tracks only above, not on the floor.

JLeslie's avatar

I love the barn doors. There’s a house not far from me that’s barn style and my husband and I think it’s awesome.

jca's avatar

@JLeslie: Did you see the video I linked? That’s what it was.

Earthbound_Misfit's avatar

I’m not sure what you call them over there, but what about recessed doors or cavity sliding doors. They can be as elaborate or simple as you want.

JLeslie's avatar

@jca Yes, I meant my remark for both of you. That’s why no arrows or names on my comment. Just a general I love those doors.

Response moderated (Spam)

Answer this question




to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther