Social Question

Dutchess_III's avatar

Have you ever been burned by the sparks from a sparkler?

Asked by Dutchess_III (39917points) June 30th, 2015

Just saw a thing on Facebook, showing a great way to keep your kids from getting burned by sparklers! Stick the holding end through a Solo cup….But I’ve never been burned by the sparks from a sparkler. The only time I was burned was when I was young, and stupid enough to pick one up before it had cooled down.

Why do they do that? Why do they post accident prevention when there is no need?

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

14 Answers

Pied_Pfeffer's avatar

This is a really great question. My experience with sparklers is similar to yours…none of the sparks ever burned my bare hands. So why the fuss?

A quick internet search provided some insightful information. Fireworks in general are dangerous, as most people know. In the US, there are more injuries caused by sparklers than other forms of fireworks.

Here are some statistics found on a fact sheet from the National Fire Protection Association.
* Over three out of five (62%) of the 2013 fireworks injuries were burns, while just over one-fifth (22%) were contusions or lacerations.
* Two out of five (40%) people injured by fireworks were under the age of 15.
* Males accounted for three-fifths (57%) of the injuries.
* The risk of fireworks injury was highest for the 0–4 age group, followed by children 10 to 14 years of age.
* Sparklers alone accounted for 41% of the emergency room fireworks injuries in
2013. Sparklers accounted for four out of five (79%) of the injuries to children
under five.

So what makes sparklers the most common firework to cause injury? The obvious reason is that they are legal in most states, so they are the most commonly used. Because they are legal, they seem, on the surface, harmless.

A single spark can cause a burn, but unless it makes contact with the eye, it is unlikely to cause damage other than a very brief sting. Both can be be prevented by wearing gloves (or the cup mentioned) and keeping the sparkler away from eyes. The greater cause of burns comes from what you experienced; picking up a metal sparkler stick immediately after it had burned out.

The bottom line is that some parents seem to have a false sense of security when it comes to using sparklers. It is often the children who end up paying the price.

Hypocrisy_Central's avatar

No matter what it is someone always uses lack of judgment harms themselves or others needlessly to they try to put the cookies on the floor so there is no way even the dumb, stupid, or thinking they are bulletproof can get under it. One way to apply Teflon away from law suites

elbanditoroso's avatar

Yes, I have, and it isn’t fun.

But I think that every child should learn experientially. Listening to Mom or Dad is one thing; getting a small burn really drives the message home.

Dutchess_III's avatar

How did you get burned @elbanditoroso?

elbanditoroso's avatar

Holding a sparkler in my hand and running around (probably age 9–10). The end of the sparkler (which is red hot) slipped and touched the back of my wrist/forearm. Pain. Still have a very small scar.

But for 50 years I have had a healthy respect for sparklers.

Dutchess_III's avatar

So it wasn’t the actual spark, it was the physical sparkler itself. Yeah, been there, done that! We all have.

longgone's avatar

I have been burned by an actual spark, through no fault of my own. I was simply holding the sparkler. So yes, it can happen.

LuckyGuy's avatar

I have never been burned by a spark. I did get burned by touching the burned end before it was cool. My bad.
I learned and have not had a problem in 50+ years.

Dutchess_III's avatar

Fast learner, @LuckyGuy! Amazing those natural lessons that sink in right away!

tinyfaery's avatar

Nope. I’m not an idiot and my parents showed me how to use them.

elbanditoroso's avatar

@tinyfaery – thereby accusing the rest of us being idiots?

JLeslie's avatar

When I held sparklers as a child the sparks hit my hand and it hurt, but it was tolerable. I was told it wouldn’t burn me, and it didn’t, but it wasn’t really any fun for me. My mom never bought sparklers, or any type of July 4th fireworks, it was a friend who let us hold the sparklers. I’m with my mom, leave all that “fire” up to the city.

tinyfaery's avatar

Hey. Hold it arms length in front of you. That’s what I was told. Never burnt myself. If you were a child, I chalk it up to ignorance, otherwise, yeah, idiotic thing to do.

longgone's avatar

^ Thank you ;)

Answer this question

Login

or

Join

to answer.
Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
or
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther