General Question

Unofficial_Member's avatar

Is peanut butter really bad for dog?

Asked by Unofficial_Member (4276points) June 16th, 2018

I know that it depends on the ingredients inside and many websites have approved that it is healthy and can be fed to dog. However, upon reading this article I am quite hesitant to buy whatever peanut butter for my dogs. I have never given them peanut butter before and I definitely wouldn’t give them if it’s actually poisonous.

Observing members: 0 Composing members: 0

17 Answers

ARE_you_kidding_me's avatar

It’s actually fine. That was a sensational B.S. article. If you are afraid of sugar or transfat just read the ingredients. Plenty of natural options. As far as aflatoxins are concerned peanut butter would be causing humans all kinds of problems if it was there in any significant amounts. If it’s made from dry roasted peanuts there is basically nothing to worry about.

LadyMarissa's avatar

When in doubt, cut it out!!!

snowberry's avatar

I’ve never given peanut butter to my dog, but I think I’ll stop buying peanut butter in the future. I’m allergic to funguses, and I need to detox, not increase my toxin load. Peanut butter is one product I need to avoid. Thanks for the link.

JLeslie's avatar

I think it’s an ingredient found in a lot of peanut butters. Maybe a preservative or something I’m not sure. Probably, pure peanut butter is ok, but of course there is always a choking risk with peanut butter, but the risk for choking is probably higher in small children than dogs.

Edit: I don’t think the warning with peanut butter is any of the things mentioned in your article.

kritiper's avatar

I know chocolate is but I never heard that about peanut butter.

canidmajor's avatar

It’s not peanut butter, it’s the Xylitol that they add to some brands. This link: explains it. Organic brands are OK, but read the label. My dogs love peanut butter, and get it as treats and are fine.

JLeslie's avatar

I just googled. It’s the Xylitol. A sweetener that can be deadly to dogs.

chyna's avatar

I was at the vet last week and they have signs up that they give peanut butter dog treats to their clients and to let them know if the dog or a family member is allergic.

Unofficial_Member's avatar

I know about general things to avoid such as Xylitol and such. What worries me is that the article mentioned a substance called aflatoxin that is inherently in the peanuts themselves. I can read the ingredients list on the label but I’m sure a specific chemical compound like aflatoxin won’t be listed (since it will deter consumers with the “toxin” wording anyway). What good will it do if the peanut butter is free from sugar, preservative, Xylitol, etc but it will still eventually harm your dog with accumulated amount of aflatoxin? (I plan to add some in my dogs’ meal as they have been very picky. I heard people have done this to their picky eater dogs).

LadyMarissa's avatar

Aflatoxin is a mold that wouldn’t be considered an ingredient butcould easily ne mixed in to the ingredients

JLeslie's avatar

Yeah, if you’re nervous about the aflatoxin then I recommend not eating anything peanut yourself, and don’t give it anything peanut to your children.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about it, but I don’t eat a lot of peanuts.

KNOWITALL's avatar

Nah, all my dogs love pb and never had any issues. They cant have much if its not natural, due to the sugar content.

MrGrimm888's avatar

Correct. Xylitol is toxic to dogs. They usually get into it by eating some chewing gum.

PB is fine. I would recommend buying a low sodium version, if it’s just for a dog.

snowberry's avatar

@Unofficial_Member aflatoxin is not an ingredient that is mixed into anything.

It’s a fungus, and it lives in the ground where peanuts are grown. It’s on the peanut when it’s harvested.

The species of molds that combine to form aflatoxin grow in soils when conditions are just right, including when decaying food, plants, hay and grains are piled together to decompose in areas with high moisture and high temperatures. (1)

There are actually at least 13 different types of naturally-occurring aflatoxin toxic molds that researchers have been able to identify. Of the 13 species, the type called aflatoxin B1 is considered the most toxic, capable of causing health problems such as liver disease or cancer, autoimmune responses, digestive issues and in rare cases even death. (2) Research has shown that consuming aflatoxin through the food supply is one of the major causes of liver disease (specifically the type called hepatocellular carcinoma) in certain countries such as China and Africa.

Here’s the link

RocketGuy's avatar

Dose makes the poison. That’s why most people don’t get cancer from aflatoxin.

snowberry's avatar

True. But some people like myself are extremely allergic to molds, funguses etc. Some people eat a diet high in corn for example. If they live in a part of the world where there is a lot of naturally occurring aflatoxins (meaning it could become airborne if disturbed), and then they get more in their diet. That can be a real problem, not only for the cancer risk, but for allergic reactions.

Dogs have much smaller body mass and they do not process toxins the same way we do. If a dog eats a diet high in peanut butter that happens to be loaded with aflatoxins, that could eventually lead to the health problems mentioned in the link. It’s even worse if the dog already has liver or kidney problems.

lilbitofsunshine's avatar

Yes, dogs can eat peanut butter as long as it is fed in moderation and does not contain xylitol, so get out that peanut butter jar and share the good news.

Answer this question




to answer.

This question is in the General Section. Responses must be helpful and on-topic.

Your answer will be saved while you login or join.

Have a question? Ask Fluther!

What do you know more about?
Knowledge Networking @ Fluther