2davidc8's avatar

Why are there so many kinds of yoga?

Asked by 2davidc8 (9459points) 1 month ago

For example, I’ve heard of iyengar, kundalini, hatha, nidra, etc., etc.
What’s the diff?
Which one is best for a beginner, or does it depend on your objective?

Why are there so many kinds of cheese?

Same answer. They’re all a little different, and some people find each of them useful or productive.

This is a market economy. The producers (the Yoga studios) offer what sells.

PaisleyFaye's avatar

My goodness. lol are those the actual Names they use? Ive never heard of those before. I think sometimes people get drawn in to things like this, they just add a fancy name to it so it seems ‘intresting’. The only Yoga I know of is just the regular old Yoga, and HOT Yoga, where the room has a few radiators that give off steam causing us to sweat out toxins more. And with all kinds of yoga there’s lots of stretching, holding poses in various positions…ect

2davidc8's avatar

@Zaku Thanks for the link. Very informative.

dabbler's avatar

Yoga is a philosophical system with the goal of peace of mind.Yoga is a sanskrit word meaning ‘union’ ... union of inner and outer, lower and higher, earth-bound and divine.
The physical activities most of us in the west associate with Yoga are the Hatha yoga practices that calm and energize the body to support meditation practice.
All those styles you mention are interpretations of the classic asanas/poses and breathing.

2davidc8's avatar

OK, @dabbler, good to know! Thanks.