Will you tell me something great that happened today, Part XXI?

Asked by janbb (43596 points ) 1 month ago

This is a continuation of an ongoing thread whose twentieth incarnation was here . It was taking too long to load. Feel free to post positive snippets and epiphanies about things occurring in your life. Newbies more than welcome to join in!

My very dear cousin is coming up today from the DC area to go to the beach and stay overnight. We’ll walk the boards tonight and listen to some great blues music.

I’m nervous but also excited about driving up to a new area that to look at a house that I might be moving to. It’s an 8 acre property and if things work out it could be a great move for me.
I’ll know after viewing it on Weds.

snowberry's avatar

A few hours ago my neighor’s dog bit a great big hole in my privacy screen. Not good, but it is a great big one. I mended the fence, again. That’s the good news.

@Coloma Good luck!

@snowberry I’m so sorry you have to deal with that pain in the ass dog.

rojo's avatar

I was just thinking that it was time!

LuckyGuy's avatar

i was supposed to meet a long time friend for breakfast today. I got to the restaurant about 15 minutes early. I had my PC with me so I was able to relax and answer emails and Fluther while I waited. I called him about 30 minutes after the meeting time and he had forgotten! I enjoyed a Denny’s Classic Grand Slam, (2 eggs toast 2 bacon and 2 sausage) while goofing off and fluthering. Nice.
Now we’ll meet next week – and he is buying!

@janbb Thanks!
@snowberry PITA!
@LuckyGuy I recently splurged on eggs benedict which I hadn’t had in about 10 years, it was sublime!

Another perfect day in an long string. May they continue. The house wren has taken up residence in a large gourd my bro-in-law drilled a hole in so it is now officially a wren house. It sings a song about 100 times bigger than it is, enhancing the sights and aromas of the morning. The wild roses continue to perfume the air. I’ll pet Milo, have a chew on some mint, and feel happy that I have satisfied the five senses without even moving from a deck chair or spending any money.

The weather is just perfect. It’s overcast and cool. What a relief from this weekend!

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

After a night of squalls off Hispaniola, Mike woke me to take my turn at the tiller. The sky in the east was clear with Venus and a crescent moon hanging just above the horizon. Strong black Cuban coffee—we ran out of leche and sugar days ago—and hot buttered English muffins with mango marmalade. I’m studiously watching the sonar for a rumored seamount in the area as the sun comes up. Seamounts are islands of life in the middle of nowhere, little siesmic gifts to hungry sailors.

We encountered a pod of playful dolphins yesterday just before the weather hit. A manta flew four feet into the air and bellyflopped about twenty yards off port just after daybreak today (that’s how they rid themselves of parasites). These are good signs. I should be seeing schools of menhaden, blue runners, mackerel and baracuda soon, if we’re anywhere close.

We’ll dive it today, if I can find it. Leatherbacks as big Volkswagens a guy said. You have to hide behind the mast to bait your hook. And whale sharks. Big stuff welling up from the deep when the cool undercurrent run up against this eruption on the seabed and push all of it to the top. I’ll be happy with a big Bonita for dinner. And if we don’t find it, there is always the Isla. It is going to be a great day.

Tonight, we should be moored between Cabo Beata and Isla Beata if it storms. We could both use some rest. I’ve downloaded all of Yes, Prime Minister just in case Tarot poker and double malt isn’t interesting enough.

^^^ Wow. Well. We had a big storm yesterday, too, and lost our electricity for 10 minutes. So there!

@Espiritus_Corvus Have you ever thought about auditioning for the survival show ” Naked and Afraid”?
Spear that Bonita while fighting off sharks underwater. I’d tie up your dangling lure though, why tempt fate? lol

LuckyGuy's avatar

@Espiritus_Corvus And I was happy with a Denny’s breakfast. I am so ashamed. :-)

If you make it to Cabo and Isla tonight and the sky is clear (and I did the calcs right) you have a satellite flare at Jun 23, 19:51:50 Magnitude -2.5, Altitude 67°, Azimuth 109° (ESE) Satellite Iridium 55 Center line 16 km (E)
Ten seconds before time look for a moving star that gets brighter and brighter, peaks at the stated time. then fades away. It will be moving North to South and the end two stars in the handle of the Big Dipper will point to it.
Enjoy!
Or is it 20:51:50 your time?

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

@LuckyGuy Thank you! That is really cool of you. There is a thin stormline crawling in from the W right now, but there’s a High pushing in from the S, so I’m hoping it will give us clear skies at about that time—in a few hours. It will be close, though. I’ll let you know how it worked out. Thanks again, LG.

^^ I love the tales from the old man of the sea.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

Hey! Watch that old man stuff!

Response moderated (Writing Standards)
LuckyGuy's avatar

Remember to be looking at the right spot at the right time. Use a GPS clock. With your arm extended, your fist is about 10 degrees. 90 degrees of azimuth is straight up so 67 degrees would be about two fist widths away from straight up or 7 fists up from the horizon.

I made a guess at your GPS location based upon your description. I might be a little off – but not more than 4 seconds. ;-)

Symbeline's avatar

Won a free coffee at Tim Horton’s. That rocks.

GloPro's avatar

My Relocation Assistance Agent finally agreed that lakefront is an amenity and is rewriting my benefit package. Yay!

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

@LuckyGuy I’m Atlantic Standard Time, AST is the same as EDT = GMT/UTC/Zulu – 4hrs. Anyway I missed it. Too much high cloud cover and probably too sunlight much sunlight at that hour. But thanks, buddy.

@janbb Now, now, young lady.

Hey, wait a minute. Your French quip is gone due to poor writing standards! I’ll have the mods know that was perfectly good French. Is this done by bots, or something? We can’t use foreign languages? There needs to be an adjustment here. I’M TELLIN’ GAIL!!

Yeah – WTF!

Response moderated (Writing Standards)

I had written “Je le voudrais” in response to a remark of Espiritus’ and it was modded off for writing standards.(?)

Mimishu1995's avatar

Successfully made a wish-you-good-luck card for my friend. She is going for an important competition. She was very happy and promised to keep my card safe.

hearkat's avatar

[Mod says] The writing standards state that ”all content must use proper English”; therefore, comments in other languages do not meet the writing standards. Sometimes they are allowed – for example, if the question is asking something about another language. It is possible that there are comments in other languages should have been moderated, but were missed because we didn’t see it and no one flagged it.

SnoopyGirl's avatar

I am in Florida visiting family. I love the beaches here! The smell of the ocean air, the sound of the waves and the beautiful picture of the beach. Absolute heaven.

@hearkat I’m frying a lot bigger fish these day than Fluther moderation and won’t get my knickers in a twist but….writing standards? When I write in English, my writing is excellent, when I wrote in French, I used both the reflexive and the future conditional perfectly. And anyone who felt excluded, could Google translate my words if they cared. As you say, many others have used languages other than English and while you may say, it was just because they weren’t caught, I always felt it added to the edginess and flavor of Fluther. There is a literalness here at times that is deadening.

I am not a bitcher and moaner and I won’t ask a gazillion questions about this or take my marbles and go home, but I do think the emphasis was on “proper” and not “English” in that diktat.

longgone's avatar

^ Exactly. Taking the guideline literally, moderating @janbb‘s post was legitimate – but I’d argue that Bendrew did not intend it to be enforced in this manner. I hope so, at least, as I love learning little snippets of a foreign language. Fluther itself regularly tells me I have “a certain je ne sais quoi”. Fluther is smart, diverse, and different. It should stay that way.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

If you people keep this mindless, ham-fisted style of enforcement up, there will be nobody but moderators left in here—ones who only write good ol’ murkin fer thuh murkins. It will be so safe and unoffensive, and oh, so interesting.

*So, do you like your burgers with or without onions? (see follow up question below)P

F/U Question: And if you like them with, do you brush your teeth after, or use a breath mint?
Disclaimer: This in no way is meant to offend all those gross people who eat onions!

~P.S. Only girls can answer this question!

@Espiritus_Corvus Good girls or nice girls?

GloPro's avatar

Mods have the ability to reinstate posts. They choose not to here. I believe that this adamant enforcement is nothing more than a reluctance to be pushed around… And not because they made the correct choice.
The correct action could be, “OK, we see your point. Reinstated.”

Pointing out that even Fluther comments to jellies “je ne sais quoi” was the clincher, really.

jonsblond's avatar

I finally learned the meaning of je ne sais quoi

I don’t know if that’s something great, but it is good, right?

At least this will stop the dialog in Finnish that @blondesjon and I indulged in for a long time, which I am sure everyone found tedious. There is a wonderful French song called “Madame Arthur” which raises the question of why Mme. A, wit nothing special about her (ordinary figure, small eyes, turned-up noseA) did so well in her life…title, money, chateaux, distinguished lovers. It was because of her e ne sais quoi. Here, sung by Yvette Guilbert

Seaofclouds's avatar

[Mod says]: We are going to review this situation. There are several issues that are coming into play right now regarding the foreign language posts. First and foremost, the mods do not speak every language and cannot tell what meets Fluther’s guidelines (from grammar to off topic chatter to attacks). Second, online translators are not always accurate, so even when we try to look the information up online, we may find incorrect information. Third, English is the only language Futher was technically designed (programmed) to support.

In regards to the above quip that was removed, @janbb you said, “when I wrote in French, I used both the reflexive and the future conditional perfectly…could Google translate my words if they cared”. Well, I did exactly that. I copy and pasted your post (“Je le voudraiis.”) into the google translator and it gave me this: “I voudraiis.” Okay, obviously that can’t be what you said, so I then tried to just google the phrase you typed (once again copy/pasting exactly what you said). When I googled it, google recommended the spelling “Je le voudrais.” (which implies that perhaps you spelled it wrong) and offered no meaning for the phrase as you typed it. So then I went back to the google translator with the phrase “Je le voudrais.” and was given the translation of “I’d like.”, which really doesn’t seem to fit either as it seems like it is missing something.

What exactly did you mean by your phrase? I’m asking because I want to see if there is any translator that gives me an exact meaning of what you wrote.

@Seaofclouds and @hearkat I am glad that the mods are reviewing this policy. If you look in the old Fluther questions, you will find much French, much Latin, some Greek, and several other languages. Those exchanges were light years beyond the common dialogue of today. I would be heartbroken if Fluther was dumbed down even further.

@Seaofclouds Did I have one “I” in voudrais originally or two? Yes, it should have been one but the translation I would expect is “I’d like it.” My French is not perfect (despite my sanctimonious claim, as gail has informed me) so “writing standards” may apply but the larger point still holds. (@Espiritus_Corvus had written “Watch that old man stuff” and my answer was “I’d like it.”) That is not the reason that was given for the modding. People on here far more erudite than I – mattbrowne and whitenoise and rebbel come to mind – use foreign phrases often and it adds to the fun and flavor of the site.

I like what @marinelife said, “Don’t dumb it down further.” And I know you guys really try and I know it is a labor of love, but I love it here too.

And if @thorninmud is around, I would be happy to have my French edited so that the remark was correct.

Seaofclouds's avatar

@marinelife We don’t retroactively mod content, so any old posts would remain.

@janbb You had two “I“s in your post. While I understand your concern about the “larger point”, I hope you understand the position it puts us in regarding the issues I mentioned above. The use of translators is not always accurate and asking the OP may not be either. For example, say someone posts a comment in another language and it’s flagged as an attack (let’s say being called an asshole). We use the google translator and come up with something that doesn’t make sense but contains a word that could be an attack (ass). We ask the OP for clarification of the comment and they say they were saying something else. Do we remove it or not? How do we explain to one user that we just don’t believe them when their understanding of the language in question may have been better than ours? How are we suppose to fairly and consistently move forward? What about spelling, grammar, and punctuation? How are we suppose to know what meets are guidelines if we don’t know the languages? I doesn’t seem fair for users to see content in their native language that doesn’t meet guidelines remain when we then removed their content for not meeting our guidelines when it isn’t even their native language.

Now before you (general you) say we have to look at the individual instances, let me remind you that the Fluther community gets very upset when we try to look at individual instances of things and claims we are inconsistent. We are trying to make things as consistent as possible and individual instances require special consideration and may vary from one mod to the next. I’m not stating this as a deterrent to finding a fix, but to help users that have suggestions understand the things the mods have to take into consideration when making decisions. We value the input from the community and would love ideas to help make the process smooth for all members of the community.

So now, tell me something great that happened to you today?

(But I will say – and my last remark on the subject – that if you are looking to follow the original founders’ intent, it might be worth considering that all those foreign language posts were deemed acceptable in the more lively days of Fluther. ‘Nuff said.)

LuckyGuy's avatar

@Seaofclouds I think you deserve a lot of credit for going the extra mile to do what you think was right. There! That’s something nice that happened to you today! :-)

After I read your post above and saw all the effort you put in ”( copy and pasted your post (“Je le voudraiis.”) into the google translator and it gave me this: “I voudraiis.” Okay, obviously that can’t be what you said, so I then tried to just google the phrase you typed (once again copy/pasting exactly what you said). When I googled it, google recommended the spelling “Je le voudrais.” (which implies that perhaps you spelled it wrong) and offered no meaning for the phrase as you typed it. So then I went back to the google translator with the phrase “Je le voudrais.” and was given the translation of “I’d like.”, which really doesn’t seem to fit either as it seems like it is missing something.”}, I decided I would never, ever complain about anything mods do – even if they… [Redacted]

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

We found the seamount this morning. It is a good day. I once asked a local captain/owner in Matlache if the fish were biting in a certain spot. He told me it was the best fishing in the world. “Biting? BITING? Hell, these fish are so aggressive they’ll climb right up on your deck, steal your bait box, and bitch slap you on the way out.” He said it in Spanish, but that’s the English approximation. It’s like that here.

Stinley's avatar

I’ve packed for my weekend camping with my Girl Guides. My car is full!

Not to be too picky @Seaofclouds, but I’ll take @janbb‘s typo over your:

“How are we suppose(d) sic to know what meets are ( sic) our guidelines if we don’t know the languages?”

If you ask me, that’s a post better modded for failing to meet writing standards.

longgone's avatar

I just enjoyed a bowl of the best strawberries I have ever eaten – dark red, and exploding with flavour.

@Seaofclouds I see your point. I think moderation in moderation would help keep Fluther interesting. I realize you’re walking a tightrope, though. Thanks for the detailed post.

Seaofclouds's avatar

@marinelife She wasn’t modded for the typo. I never claimed I was perfect.

6:10 on the west coast, sitting on my deck and just poured my 2nd glass of Cab. Going to check out a new property 2.5 hours away from me here in the morning. Feeling stressed to the 10th power.
The “great” is, one of my neighbors for this last year just dropped over and told me how much they have enjoyed knowing me and they want to take me to dinner Thurs. night.

Another person I work with told me today, upon hearing I am considering moving out of the area, that they would miss my great sense of humor and don’t want me to go. Small bright spots in a crazy year.

Mimishu1995's avatar

I was just appointed as a translator for a website. My main job is to translate every line of the website so that the website can be launched in my language. Not to mention some more unseen translating jobs waiting for me.

Finally something useful I can do :)

jonsblond's avatar

That’s great news, @Mimishu1995!

@Mimishu1995 That’s great! I hope you are getting paid too!

Mimishu1995's avatar

@Coloma Well, no one pays me. That’s a voluntary job :p I’m just happy to be able to help :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may get to see the twins tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s gotten to the point where if Corrie posts a picture of them I get tears in my eyes.

rojo's avatar

There is thunder! We may finally get some rain.

Man, it poured BUCKETS here last night. I can’t remember the last time I saw it rain that hard.

SLC

Not the greatest pic because I took it from my phone, but thems some dangerous clouds!

Symbeline's avatar

Whoa! those clouds kick ass.

Seaofclouds's avatar

I finished my pathophysiology class with an A today! This was the first class of my NP program, so I’m excited that it is finished and that I did well.

@Seaofclouds Yay for you! That is great news!

Congratulations. @Seaofclouds!

Well..I put a deposit on the property/house I traveled to see today. Too much too share, but…half leap of faith and half calculated risk. Coloma is going back to the country/mountains!

Beautiful place, 25 minutes to town, surrounded by Douglas Firs, Madrone, Oaks, Sugar Pines and lush woods with a creek.
The house is a very rustic tri-level house, pottery studio in the basement, mid-level living area, wood stove, master bedroom with a grape arbor outside my window, a huge claw foot bath tub with purple Iris painted on it and a loft with a loft ladder.
I am terrified, excited and exhausted all at the same time. I move July 9th.

The rocket has launched. sink or swim in the new wilderness.

Mimishu1995's avatar

@Coloma Happy ever after in @Coloma‘s mansion :D

@Mimishu1995 I am so scared, but, one must risk, right? :-)

Stinley's avatar

@Coloma is there space for a goose? Or would that be too hard? x

@Stinley Plenty of space, but don’t think I will be making any pet commitments, other than my 2 cats that I have right now.

Leanne1986's avatar

@Coloma I’m so happy for you. I found it very sad when you had to move out if your last home so thrilled that you will be back in your mountains.

—@Leanne1986 Awww..thanks! :-)

It’s raining and thundering. I love it.

As of 12;30 PM today, there is a new Finkel baby boy in the world.

@gailcalled Our Founder has founded something else!

No news about name as of yet.

How about Little Dr. J Dude?

A new little jelly bean! So exciting!

SnoopyGirl's avatar

Tonight there was a lot of heat lightning followed by a very hard rain. I love the smell of the hot pavement when it just starts to rain. Rain is relaxing and cleansing.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

Mazel to all the Finkels.

Humor of the day…great for all.
Sooo..I was sitting on my deck having a glass ( okay 3nd glass ) of Cab, when I reached up under my dress and took my bra off. Had an incoming phone call and forgot all about the liberating shed moment.
An hour later now, I remembered..” oh yeah, I took my bra off out on the deck”..went to look for it and it was gone. haha

Okay, not gone,it was retrieved from under my chair.
Cheers to the lunacy of my life.
All undergarments present and accounted for now.
Well ya know..it was an involved conversation. lol

rojo's avatar

@Coloma After all you women worked for to be able to either wear a bra or not as it suited you, why did the following generations choose to wear them almost 100% of the time. Whatever happened to those free-wheeling, free-hanging 60’s and 70’s?

I had a friend who just came back from Spain and he had the opportunity to spend some time on some topless beaches. His observation was that if a woman was topless, she was either under 25 or over 55 with very few in-betweens not wearing a top? WTF happened to prude up the 80’s & 90’s generations?

@rojo Yeah t sucks, but maidenform-conformity has its place. I was there, but now I am here…not very “professional” to let them all hang out, and besides, after 50, nobody is lining up anymore. haha

GloPro's avatar

A very good friend I haven’t seen in 6 years called randomly tonight to tell me they were passing through. I happened to be coming off of a rescue call and otherwise completely free. We grilled at my house and they are camping on my beach. I have tomorrow 100% off for the first time in forever, which seems like fate.
Life is good.

bob_'s avatar

Took the GMAT today: 750, baby!

@bob_ So now you can make me a sandwich!

This was yesterday and this thread didn’t show up yesterday. I know because I kept waiting and waiting for it!

1) I GOT TO SEE THE TWINS!!! I GOT TO SEE THE TWINS!!!

2) Well, I made a kid’s day yesterday. I picked up a playpen, a baby swing and a baby gate at a garage sale. The was a little boy there, about 6, and he asked his dad if he could carry the baby swing to my SUV. Obviously he probably would have a very hard time doing that, but he really wanted to help, you could tell.
I quickly turned around and held the baby gate out to him and asked him if he could please carry it to the SUV for me. He said, “Sure!”
We got there and he wasn’t even tall enough to get it in the back, so I helped him.
I told him “Thank you,” and very, very politely he said, “You’re welcome.”
Then I spied a box of sidewalk chalk I’d picked up at Dollar General for a buck a while back. I grabbed it and said, “This is for you for helping me.”
His eyes got wide in surprise and excitement, and he said, “THANK YOU!!!!” and he ran over to his mom to show her! He was so excited!
When I left he was happily drawing on their sidewalk.
I made his day, and that made my day!

As for today:

3) @bob_ SHOWED UP! @bob_ SHOWED UP! I wish you were around here more,dude. Like, I’m starving. (And congorats on the GMAT score!)

hearkat's avatar

I am posting from the bathtub because my sweetie insisted that I take a bath to soothe my aching body and test the new stoppers we got to allow me to fill the water deeper… while he goes and runs errands!

And they’re working!

@hearkat Yay for a good bath!! Just too kone post-beach.

AshLeigh's avatar

Someone told me they made a quote from me their senior quote. That was flattering.

^^? for you? Or from your? What was the quote?

I spotted the mother house wren with an insect in her bill. We will be overrun with babies soon since this is the third laying.

I just learned that the local bears will not eat the suger water in a hummingbird feeder (unless it is next to the grill and becomes collateral damage on the way to the burgers).

A friend just showed me the swallowtail caterpiller larvae on the dill plants; they will turn into swallowtail butterfleis if the birds don’t spot them. They are still much smaller than the photo but it was exciting to see…some new information for me.

Hey – I’d even eat the sugar water if it would get me to the burgers faster.

hearkat's avatar

I thought swallowtail caterpillars were parsley eaters only? They like dill, too?

It seems that all the black bears roaming the suburbs of NJ are raiding the hummingbird feeders. A patient of mine witnessed on, and photos have been posted of others.

I am having a very peaceful and productive weekend. All my friends are out of town but I am filling the time nicely.

I am exhausted, waiting on a really good job offer with a 2nd interview tomorrow. Just flatlined here, hotter than shit…haha, going out to run a quick errand and then go see the new Transformers movie @2.:30 I need to just sit in a cool, dark place and chill for a few hours.

longgone's avatar

I went to a concert yesterday, and managed not to get drenched by beer or pushed against the wall. Rough crowd, but fun music!

AshLeigh's avatar

@Dutchess_III, it was something I wrote in a story. “I lost my pants, but I found myself.”
It’s silly, but it was still flattering that they made it their senior quote.

hearkat's avatar

@AshLeigh – I doubt it is silly, and don’t like seeing you deprecate yourself (is that the correct usage of that term?). Something on what you wrote struck a chord with that person enough so they chose it to represent them. It is a compliment and I bet it is well-earned.

AshLeigh's avatar

I’m pretty sure “I lost my pants, but I found myself” is silly. XD

hearkat's avatar

Out of context, it sure is; but wasn’t there more to it?

AshLeigh's avatar

It silly in context too.

@hearkat: I will pass on your info about the behavior of your suburban New Jersey black bears to my sister. Perhaps their behavior is different there due to heavier population density and homes being built closer together.Or maybe the bears are members of the Soprano family and more aggressive. Here they’re the Clampetts.

Stinley's avatar

It rained for most of my weekend on my Girl Guide camp but we all had fun anyway!

Symbeline's avatar

In my apartment building, I am now known as ’‘the ghost of the basement’’.

dxs's avatar

I’m late but here. Can’t think of anything significantly good today, so I’ll take time to appreciate the small things. Glad to be healthy and breathing. Glad to have food and shelter.

rojo's avatar

I saw two good world cup games on Sunday almost totally without interruption! Almost.

Got a good laugh yesterday. A friend asked me what game or games are played in The World Cup. What rock has she been living under?

longgone's avatar

^ You’re kidding.

Leanne1986's avatar

I always thought I didn’t want/need to get married but today my boyfriend and I started seriously talking about it and I’m excited. There was no romantic proposal but he is referring to me as his fiancé!

AshLeigh's avatar

Just finished the rough draft of my first book.

Well….he did it again! haha
Marwyn won for the 2nd time, this years Majestic Waterfowl photo contest with his new dad Eric.
His is the last photo at the bottom of the page.
His win for “Most Photogenic” in 2012 and this years “Presidents Pick.”

Worlds most special goose. :-)

www.majesticwaterfowl.org/newslettercurrent.htm

@Coloma: Send Marwyn my congratulations. Any income residuals or royalties as a result of this new triumph?

@gailcalled No, just his second five minutes of fame and personal pride for the extended family. haha

Grilled out tonight: steak and cole slaw. Saw a rather odd, but kind of good movie called Grand Piano. Dined al fresco on the deck enjoying the lovely weather. Middle day of three days off for hubby. One more to go. Yay!

@marinelife Oooh Cole Slaw, my favorite!

That was great @Coloma!

@Dutchess_III His sweet 16 birthday present. haha

Stinley's avatar

I went to see the start of the Tour de France today. Great day out!

@Stinley I’m so jealous, what fun!

Stinley's avatar

@Coloma It was even better on the Sunday. We were halfway up the Cote de Holme Moss (!) and saw them all go by. Just brilliant!!

LuckyGuy's avatar

1740 fingers and toes came to my July 4th party and all 1740 left intact. Fun!

With all the CO2 we released I’m afraid we raised sea level an Angstrom or two. But it was worth it!

@janbb I think they grilled hamburgers and hot dogs.

@Tropical_Willie Which leads me to the same conclusion, although I know that would be methane. :-)

AshLeigh's avatar

Just got a call, and I have my second interview tomorrow. :)

@AshLeigh Congratulations!
I on the other hand just got a rejection email, I am about ready to drink the Kool Aide here.

@Coloma Job possibility No. 2?

@janbb I was certain I had a bird in the hand and another in the bush, they have both flown the coop as of the last week. I can’t take much more disappointment right now.

@Coloma I’m really sorry to hear that – I know you were excited about them.

@janbb Thanks for your kindness.

Paid the bills, which it a load off of my mind….but there isn’t enough left to make the house payment. :(

nikipedia's avatar

Maya was having such a great time at daycare today I could hardly get her to leave. It is a load off my mind knowing she’s happy while she’s there.

longgone's avatar

I spent five hours cleaning my place, and feel proud of myself.

@Coloma What a shame. Don’t give up. Something great came along, unexpectedly – what’s to stop something even greater from turning up tomorrow?

Jonesn4burgers's avatar

Wow! I’ve been away from this thread longer than I realized. Great days have been cruising right past my doorstep for some time.
My daughter has been asking for something cool for a new swimsuit to wear in gym class this year. I am so opposed to the prices swimwear has come to. I found some really cool ones on ebay from merchants in China. There are awesome choices, even in one piece, which is what my baby burger eater needs for school. There are designs featuring Star Wars, Harry Potter, and many other cool things. Some merchants are even selling them for under $10 each. I feel very triumphant at having made such a find. I thought she was going to have to settle for a thriftstore tag color special..
Mostly I popped in here today to see what is wonderful these days for my fellow jellies.

Have had a great few days after many, many stressful ones. Went to three free outdoor concerts this week, painted with my teacher at one beach, went with friends to two others, and walked the boardwalk last night with a friend and drank cocktails and noshed on guac and chips at an outdoor restaurant. Been feeling happy again after a long dry spell.

@janbb Yay! My dry spell continues, send some sun and surf and cocktails my way.

Mariah's avatar

Today I have been with my boyfriend for six months. Everything’s as strong and fresh as it was in the beginning. I am crazy in love.

We went to an aquarium yesterday. I have some jelly photos for you jellies:

One
Two
Three

@Mariah Wonderful photos! How about one of you and the boyfriend?

@Mariah oooh – so gelatinous!

@Mariah What a cute duo!

@Mariah Cute couple!

Mariah's avatar

Golly, thanks, guys! ಥ◡ಥ

hearkat's avatar

Awwwww! @Mariah – Happy semi-anniversary!! ;-P

@Mariah Wow! he is adorable (and so are you, girl!).

@Mariah I made #2 my new desktop. I love the amber colored jellies. One of my favorite colors and of course, I have to coordinate my desktop with my decor. haha

I heard a rumpus this morning and discovered that an eastern kingbird had flown into my living room via a wide open sliding door (that allows Milo free access). While I was collecting an empty waste basket and a large, heavy piece of cardboard to try and catch the bird, it apparently flew out again, without pooping even once inside.

That beats the three hours I spent recently chasing after the house wren who was also flying around here. He finally stunned himself enough for me to grab him and toss him back outside.

Leanne1986's avatar

I woke up with my boyfriend. He has been away with work for a couple of weeks and I have missed him so much.

Also, an old customer of mine who I haven’t seen in a couple of years came back to one of my classes today and says she would like to start coming on a weekly basis again. The dog had a great time and this clearly pleased her owner (who isn’t in the best health and is worried that her issues are preventing the dog from having a fulfilling life). I’m so pleased to have them back, they were favourites of mine.

I also started an online course and got 88% in my first assignment.

I spent an hour filling out an online assessment for a job I was applying for only to get a rejection email back within 15 minutes. Oh the irony, I wonder if I went wrong when I choose the answer to ” You have a conflict with a coworker, how do you handle it?”

A. Scream at them to get off your back and leave you alone.
B. Speak to your supervisor privately.
C. Put a pipe bomb under their desk.

Well shit..I guess “C.” was a poor choice.

At dusk last night, while having supper on the porch with my sister and her family at her house, on cue, two female deer came out of the wood margins with a still dappled fawn. They stopped and the fawn began to nurse. It kept kicking out its rear legs and the mother finally bumped it off.

With binoculars, I had a ringside seat. Having lived here for 28 years and seen hundreds of deer and fawns, this was the first glimpse I had of the nursing process. My 4— and 8-year old grand-nephews were interested but took it in stride. As they did the 6 baby rabbits, the hummers at the feeders, the crows and the myriad of barn swallows.

Mariah's avatar

@gailcalled Cool! I remember seeing this when I was young, in the field behind my house. My dad pointed his telescope at them, so I got a nice close-up view – though upside down – of the whole thing. So cool.

Leanne1986's avatar

I met up with a friend I haven’t seen for nearly a year. We had a good old natter in the gorgeous sunshine!

Sitting here quietly on my deck, i just got to watch an adult eastern kingbird cajole one of its recently fledged youngsters off the railing and into the air. The baby fluttered around for a bit, faltered, landed on the railing briefly, rested and then made it to a near-by ornamental cheery tree. Insects are plentiful and the water in my birdbath is cold and fresh. The sun is out. A perfect day to leave home.

In the distance, the crows are noisily harrying something for the third day in a row…probably a red-tailed. And the jays are also very noisy. I don’t have to bother looking. I can use my ears.

rojo's avatar

Today I saw a peacock sauntering across the road. I stopped to let it pass as did the cars in the oncoming lane. I have no idea where it was going, or for that matter where it came from, but I do live in a college town…...

I passed a kidney stone, man, what a relief! Ugh!

Jonesn4burgers's avatar

@rojo, SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!
@Coloma, sweat droplets forming on my forhead thinking about it.

MY happy. Whilst shopping China on ebay, I came across a dress up for auction nobody but me and one other woman noticed. It was a cute little basic white dress perfect for whatever accessories one cares to try.. It started dirt bottom bid. There were three exactly the same listed. I got mine for $1.45 ! No, I didn’t boo boo the decimal. That is one dollar forty five cents for a brand new dress, and free shipping.

HOT DAMN I’M GOOD!

@Jonesn4burgers Well damn woman, find me a mail order rich chinese husband would ya?
Wang Chung tonight! lolol

My daughter flew from Vancouver to Albany today in two stages. Her plane landed safely in Albany 23 minutes early; her friend picked her up as promised and she arrived here by 8:30, in time for the nice supper I had made. (Egg salad with fresh tarragon and potato salad with raspberry/caper vinaigrette. She provided homemade chocolate chip cookies her boyfriend had baked and sent with her.)

I can imagine no pleasure greater than hanging out with her. In honor of the occasion, Milo brought in a small mouse, stupified but still alive. My daughter picked it up by the tail and set it back outside, perhaps for Milo to recatch tomorrow?

Jonesn4burgers's avatar

@Coloma, working on finding my own first. Wanna see some excellent Chinese shops? Go to ebay, on the search type in digital print leggings. That will get you to some seriously cool spandex type artwork. The sellers you find there have dresses, swimsuits, tank tops, and other items. If you just browse down through what it shows you, you will come across all sorts of deals, and other directions to veer off. The best time is between 3AM and 5AM your time. choose rhe auction only option, then go to the side of the page and type in a small money margin. I always enter my search with one penny as the low end. go with four or five dollars on the high end. BOOM! The deals pop up!
How you choose to narrow your search makes all the difference i what you end up seeing. I love doing business in the Chinese shops. They work very hard to please their customers, but if you let a problem pass by without saying anything, they tromp you. I get very good deals, and I find awesome new things all the time. I get a kick out of rading their info, and how very hard some work to make themselves understood in english.
Here’s a little tip; if you want to be accepted by the Chinese merchants, ALWAYS begin your messages with a very friendly greeting, like, ” Hello my good friend”, or “I am delighted to do business with you.” Always end with a parting comment like, “Please have a day of beauty and good fortune.” Chinese merchants like the good, old fashioned custom of taking a moment for pleasantries. I enjoy the atmosphere very much. I would like to find a wealthy Chinese shopkeeper of my own. If I get one, I will see if he has any good friends for you to meet.

Quite by chance we found a house yesterday that we’d like to buy. It’s stone’s throw from my son!

dxs's avatar

I finally learned how to pronounce Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg!

Took a picnic supper with friends to see the hot air balloons flyover at a hot air balloon festival. It was pretty spectacular and worth the drive and the wait.

@janbb Only thing better is to be up in a balloon. You must do that, amazing experience!

@Coloma I did once and may be doing it again with my kids in Napa next month.

Espiritus_Corvus's avatar

I am finally at the hearth of old friends on the Yucatan.

@Espiritus_Corvus Have a good rest, Sailor Boy.

@dxs Webster Lake? You what it means? Something like,“I stay on my side of the lake and you stay on yours and we fish in the middle”.

Jonesn4burgers's avatar

Teach that to the politicians, okay?

dxs's avatar

@Tropical_Willie I think it’s you fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fishes in the middle.

The raging fire over here that started around 5 p.m. Friday and has now burned about 4,000 acres and destroyed 10 homes and numerous barns, outbuildings, in my area with thousands of people and livestock and pets evacuated, is 50% contained!
Cheers to the brave CalFire teams of tankers, dozers, helicopters and over a thousand fire fighters!
Ar one point this morning all firefighting planes had to be halted because of some stupid unidentified drone in the sky. Seriously…fuck drones! haha

AshLeigh's avatar

We’re having tacos for dinner. I love tacos. Tacos are the meaning of life.

Mimishu1995's avatar

Just write a bit of my story. The best part is that the whole process was conducted at late night, when everyone was asleep.

I get away with my story successfully :p

bob_'s avatar

Yesterday, I went for a bit of a walk.

@bob_ Hope it was a great day for it!

rojo's avatar

@bob_ was this your first?

Did they give the medals out first? You don’t look tired enough to have walked that far!

Zoey, 9 months old, met her first kitten today! Her eyes lit up when she saw it, but when I helped her pet it she gasped in astonished delight, and grinned up at me in utter idolization. She gave me full credit for creating that fuzzy, warm, little black thing. :D

Hey @bob_! Cool picture there in San Fran.